Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chasing squirrel out of camper advice

Quote Originally Posted by KantishnaCabin View Post
    Hahha, now that was a good laugh! Friggin funniest post I've seen on the forum in a while.
    It is funny, but doesn't pertain to the situation. I am not catching and releasing the squirrel for ****s and giggles.
    It seems left out that I only want the squirrel out long enough to patch up the area it entered and put some hardware cloth over the area.
    I don't expect, or want to diminish the population of squirrels in any way. I have a pretty good chunk of densely forested land and have all sorts of critters out there- I actually enjoy seeing the squirrels so just want to prevent more damage to the camper insulation. I will be putting a trap out as soon as the highway repair traffic is improved. I am going to start with a havahart trap and if that doesn't work I will kill it. I have killed enough animals in my life and I don't need the meat so would prefer to let it be. If that is funny- then so be it.

To each their own. The squirrels and I have a deal. Stay out of the sheds and the house and they can eat out of the bird feeder. Break in and they can eat peanut butter..... once. too much damage in the past

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    To each their own. The squirrels and I have a deal. Stay out of the sheds and the house and they can eat out of the bird feeder. Break in and they can eat peanut butter..... once. too much damage in the past
    Yeah, I have a deal with them too. They can trash the neighbor's place all they want, but on my side of the property line they have to stay out of .22 range.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    It is funny, but doesn't pertain to the situation. I am not catching and releasing the squirrel for ****s and giggles.
    It seems left out that I only want the squirrel out long enough to patch up the area it entered and put some hardware cloth over the area.
    I don't expect, or want to diminish the population of squirrels in any way. I have a pretty good chunk of densely forested land and have all sorts of critters out there- I actually enjoy seeing the squirrels so just want to prevent more damage to the camper insulation. I will be putting a trap out as soon as the highway repair traffic is improved. I am going to start with a havahart trap and if that doesn't work I will kill it. I have killed enough animals in my life and I don't need the meat so would prefer to let it be. If that is funny- then so be it.
    I'm sorry if you took offense to my post, it was not my intent to laugh at you or your methods. I was merely laughing at the analogy of the bucket and river.

I too have a deal with the squirrels around my cabin. Although I'm a little more generous than other posters, my squirrels only have to stay out of 20ga. range and keep quiet. I typically have to do a purge every 2-3 years. Standing orders at the cabin are, if you hear a squirrel chatter, arm the teenager and point. The teenager gets to practice and my cabin is safe from encroachment. So far I have only had one encroachment and that was pre-squirrel ban. It only takes one experience finding a dead squirrel at the bottom of your sleeping bag after a long winter ride to convince the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by KantishnaCabin View Post
    I'm sorry if you took offense to my post, it was not my intent to laugh at you or your methods. I was merely laughing at the analogy of the bucket and river.

I too have a deal with the squirrels around my cabin. Although I'm a little more generous than other posters, my squirrels only have to stay out of 20ga. range and keep quiet. I typically have to do a purge every 2-3 years. Standing orders at the cabin are, if you hear a squirrel chatter, arm the teenager and point. The teenager gets to practice and my cabin is safe from encroachment. So far I have only had one encroachment and that was pre-squirrel ban. It only takes one experience finding a dead squirrel at the bottom of your sleeping bag after a long winter ride to convince the wife.
    I wasn't offended by your post, and I appreciate you writing more. I am a very lucky person to have 240 acres of beautiful land that has state land and a wonderful neighbor buddy with 80 acres bordering it. My wife and I treat the land as a preserve/retreat so we enjoy having all the animals around. My neighbor has had only one squirrel break into his cabin as we took precautions when we built it to make sure there were no accessible holes (we thought). When my cabin is erected in June, I will be even more vigilant.

The squirrel I want to deal with has been seen many times on game camera up by the camper and I did not think that the area it accessed was a weak spot as it is not in touch with anything to launch from, so it surprised me. I am amazed at how much wildlife abounds by my place and we even have a pair of breeding goshawks that we enjoy watching swoop through the trees after rodents and grouse. We enjoy seeing the birds, squirrels, coyotes, fox, bears, moose, etc. There are swans that land on a pond close by, and even a pack of wolves that visits and sometimes answer my howls in the winter. Bears have trashed my tents and we had a very large brownie hunting successfully a few yards from my camper this spring. I don't expect posters to understand, but my joy and peace in life comes from being in the woods- not to hunt but just to enjoy being part of it. All my stress goes away when I sit alone away from the city noises. I am hoping to get another 80 acres on the river close to my place this spring, and it will be nice to have the river critters to watch as well. Maybe it is just me getting older, but I have no desire to kill an animal if I don't need to anymore. I love guns and shooting, and always have protection when out of the house, so please don't think I some crazy greenie Treadwell wannabe. I just want to get this rascal out so I can deter him from going back in.

I wasn't offended by your post, and I appreciate you writing more. I am a very lucky person to have 240 acres of beautiful land that has state land and a wonderful neighbor buddy with 80 acres bordering it. My wife and I treat the land as a preserve/retreat so we enjoy having all the animals around. My neighbor has had only one squirrel break into his cabin as we took precautions when we built it to make sure there were no accessible holes (we thought). When my cabin is erected in June, I will be even more vigilant.

The squirrel I want to deal with has been seen many times on game camera up by the camper and I did not think that the area it accessed was a weak spot as it is not in touch with anything to launch from, so it surprised me. I am amazed at how much wildlife abounds by my place and we even have a pair of breeding goshawks that we enjoy watching swoop through the trees after rodents and grouse. We enjoy seeing the birds, squirrels, coyotes, fox, bears, moose, etc. There are swans that land on a pond close by, and even a pack of wolves that visits and sometimes answer my howls in the winter. Bears have trashed my tents and we had a very large brownie hunting successfully a few yards from my camper this spring. I don't expect posters to understand, but my joy and peace in life comes from being in the woods- not to hunt but just to enjoy being part of it. All my stress goes away when I sit alone away from the city noises. I am hoping to get another 80 acres on the river close to my place this spring, and it will be nice to have the river critters to watch as well. Maybe it is just me getting older, but I have no desire to kill an animal if I don't need to anymore. I love guns and shooting, and always have protection when out of the house, so please don't think I some crazy greenie Treadwell wannabe. I just want to get this rascal out so I can deter him from going back in.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNltR4iCRCA
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

Susitna: That is friggen hilarious! Thank you for posting that.

Susitna: That is friggen hilarious! Thank you for posting that.
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Priceless for sure!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12