Thread: Chitina-Walk in?

Default Chitina-Walk in?

I was planning on heading down to Chitina this week to check things out as I've never been down there. Is it possible to walk in or with the access road out or do you need to hop on one of the charters. I'm not looking for 30 fish, just a dozen or so. Thanks for any advise you can offer a poor newby!

Default Yes you can...

You can certainly walk into the areas to dipnet at Chitina, however, for the amount of work required to haul in all your gear and haul out your fish, you have to ask yourself if it is really worth it. Most people who go to Chitina do not realize just how steep it is from the trail down to the river. I prefer to haul a 4-wheeler down and take it out the trail. Even though the trail is pretty bad, I have co-workers who went a couple weeks ago and said it is definitely driveable.

I would also suggest you go down with a partner or friend if you are going out the trail. It is a long walk and very easy to slip and sprain an ankle or worse getting up and down from the river. If nothing else it will give you someone to visit with while walking the trail.

Other options to the trail are wading out into the river up by the bridge and sweeping, or pay $90 to be taken to a spot in the canyon by the charter.

Be safe and good luck.

cubecove

How is the road to O'Brien Creek? Can you drive to there or need a 4x4? How about past O'Brien Creek? I have a Polaris Ranger which is a bit wider than a regular ATV if I need it.

Thanks,
    Brian
    -----
    '85 Honda Goldwing
    '92 Yamaha Venture XL
    '00 Polaris Sport Touring
    '06 Polaris Ranger 700XP SE
    -Too many guns to list here

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Brando View Post
    How is the road to O'Brien Creek? Can you drive to there or need a 4x4? How about past O'Brien Creek? I have a Polaris Ranger which is a bit wider than a regular ATV if I need it.

Thanks,
    AK-Brando-

The information I have is second hand, but from a reliable co-worker, since I have not been down this year. I was told you can drive to O'Brien Creek with a vehicle, but if you are hauling a trailer then you might want something with 4 wheel drive to get back out since it is very steep.

They put a bridge up over O'Brien Creek that is only big enough for a 4 wheeler. It is blocked on either side so nothing larger than a 4-wheeler can get across, so it depends on how much wider your Polaris Ranger is than a 4-wheeler. If it is more than 4 inches, then you probably won't be able to get it across the bridge. I am not sure of the exact width of the bridge so I can not give an accurate measurement.

The trail is much worse this year than last with quite a few rough places. They said it is definitely driveable with the 4 wheelers if you use common sense and take is slow.

Hope this helps,

cubecove

Thanks. The Ranger is 60 inches wide, and I believe most 4 wheelers are around 50 inches.
    Brian
    -----
    '85 Honda Goldwing
    '92 Yamaha Venture XL
    '00 Polaris Sport Touring
    '06 Polaris Ranger 700XP SE
    -Too many guns to list here

Default road condition

i went this past weekend you can walk all they way to haley creek (11 miles) you can drive a atv back there as well it is pretty tricky though 4 wheeler tires right on the edge of the cliff in a few spots even worse with 34 reds in the cooler had to work to get out of there but very doable if you that kind of stuff doesnt bother you the bridge is just wide enough for a 4 wheeler but a smart person could get over to the other side without it

Many drive cars to O'Brien. Last time in I had to wait for a 2 door GEO to make it down the hill so I could drive up.