Thread: My most exciting catch of 2018

Default My most exciting catch of 2018

My most exciting catch from this summer

This was some of the most fun I had in a long time. Caught on a 5 wt. Sage fly rod, on a polar bear streamer from shore.

A 32 inch laker, 13 pounds. Caught in Galbraith lake in the Brooks Range. I giggled like a kid the whole time he was on. So much fun.

All I can say is that is freaking awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wldlndfirefghtr View Post
    All I can say is that is freaking awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks man.

Beautiful fish! I really appreciate your comment about giggling, because I know exactly what you mean- memories like that last a long time! Nicely done.

Man, that is a gorgeous fish, great catch Mark!!

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by mark knapp View Post
    My most exciting catch from this summer
    This was some of the most fun I had in a long time. Caught on a 5 wt. Sage fly rod, on a polar bear streamer from shore.

A 32 inch laker, 13 pounds. Caught in Galbraith lake in the Brooks Range. I giggled like a kid the whole time he was on. So much fun.
    That's a really nice laker for Galbraith Lake. I didn't know they got that big up there in the Brooks Range. I bet he was probably 50 years old or older. It takes a long time for them to get that big that far north. Did you keep him or let him go? If you kept him I'm curious what you pulled out of his stomach. But I wouldn't blame you if you let it go. I hate keeping lakers. I like to eat them but I feel so darn guilty when I keep one. Especially when they are that big and old.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    That's a really nice laker for Galbraith Lake. I didn't know they got that big up there in the Brooks Range. I bet he was probably 50 years old or older. It takes a long time for them to get that big that far north. Did you keep him or let him go? If you kept him I'm curious what you pulled out of his stomach. But I wouldn't blame you if you let it go. I hate keeping lakers. I like to eat them but I feel so darn guilty when I keep one. Especially when they are that big and old.
    No, I didn't keep it. All the lakers along the road system are catch and release. The year before, I caught six lakers the same way between 6 and 10 lbs. A friend caught one on spinning gear the same size as this one so I don't think it's a fluke. In the '70s and '80s the lake was just about fished out because of the haul rd. catch and release was instituted and it seems the lake is coming back pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by mark knapp View Post
    No, I didn't keep it. All the lakers along the road system are catch and release. The year before, I caught six lakers the same way between 6 and 10 lbs. A friend caught one on spinning gear the same size as this one so I don't think it's a fluke. In the '70s and '80s the lake was just about fished out because of the haul rd. catch and release was instituted and it seems the lake is coming back pretty good.
    Amazing fish Mark. Gives hope that C&R can help with fish restoration.

When we worked for Clearwater years ago, for Pete & Dave out of Galbraith, the word was then that all the Lakers were caught out.

An amazing catch on a 5 weight!

Glad to see and hear you are getting in the back country again. Hope you write a book some day old friend... I would definitely read it.

Glen
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Nice to hear from you Glen. The fish there certainly aren't fished out now, that was one of seven I caught. Lot's of fun.