Thread: Best cold weather gun oil or graphite

Default Best cold weather gun oil or graphite

What do you guys use? My Tikka T3 on 30.06 was having light strikes and not firing in cold weather. I cleaned out all the factory oil from the bolt spring and bushing, and don't like the say if feels dry. I would like to lightly oil with something that won't gum up in cold weather. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I have posted this here before.

Cold Weather Firearms Lube Test.
    Negative 10 to Negative 65 F.

Shooter Choice FP-10 Works very well in ARs and bolt guns. Good to-50
    Terta Gun Lube Thicker, works well on crew full auto weapons
    G96 Gun treatment Comes as a spray, very light, bolts guns to -65

Penn Synthetic Reel Oil
    P/N 92340 Very Fluid, Extremely slippery good to -65 (pistols and bolt guns)
    Marvel Mystery Oil Very fluid, Very slippery good to -40, burns away on full auto guns once they are very hot.

3 in 1 Oil Fairly fluid, somewhat slippery gums at -20 Mixes with powder residue and turns gummy.
    LPS-2 Fairly Fluid, somewhat slippery gums at -20
    Klean-Bore Formula 3 Some separation, fairly fluid, somewhat slippery
    Tri-Flow Separated, does not adhere or film on metal
    Break-Free Separated, somewhat tacky and semi syrup like
    Mil TECH, Thick, somewhat tacky, syrup like
    Outers Gun Oil Very thick syrup. Tacky
    Mil spec MIL4-46000c Lube Oil Separated, some was in thick jell state.
    Rem Oil Thick jell, tacky
    Boe Shield T-9 Thick Jell, tacky, Dries to a film in warmer temps.
    Corrosion X HD Thick jell, tacky
    Ballistol very thick jell. Separation
    Exxon Elite 20-50 Syn Av Oil Very Thick, glue like
    AeroShell 15-50 Semi Syn Av Oil Very thick, glue like
    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Played around with some oils and lubes I had in a box which has been in the back of my truck all winter. This stuff was applied cold to cold Bolts and Bolt carriers.
    Since my main job is flying there are a couple of oddball items.
    I cleaned in between with MEK.

Cold Weather Firearms Lube Test.
    Negative 10 to Negative 20 F.

Penn Synthetic Reel Oil P/N 92340---------Very Fluid, Extremely slippery
    Marvel Mystery Oil------------------------- Very fluid, Very slippery
    3 in 1 Oil----------------------------------- Fairly fluid, somewhat slippery
    LPS-2 ------------------------------------- Fairly Fluid, somewhat slippery
    Klean-Bore Formula 3--------------------- Some separation, fairly fluid, somewhat slippery
    Tri-Flow----------------------------------- Separated, does not adhere or film on metal
    Break-Free--------------------------------- Separated, somewhat tacky and semi syrup like
    Mil-Tech------------------------------------ Thick, somewhat tacky, syrup like
    Outers Gun Oil ------------------------------Very thick syrup. Tacky
    Mil spec MIL4-46000c Lube Oil -----------Separated, some was in thick jell state.
    Rem Oil------------------------------------ Thick jell, tacky
    Boe Shield T-9----------------------------- Thick Jell, tacky
    Corrosion X HD--------------------------- Thick jell, tacky
    Ballistol ------------------------------------ very thick jell. Separation
    Exxon Elite 20-50 Syn Av Oil---------------Very Thick, glue like
    AeroShell 15-50 Semi Syn Av Oil----------- Very thick, glue like
    Also: https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=212418
    Another: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Any-Good-Tips
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Graphite can be abrasive best not to use at all.

When I was in the Army at Ft Wainwright down to about zero we used LSA, Light Small Arms Lubricant, that was very lightly applied. Below zero our M16s and M60s went without lube. They functioned with out any issues down to minus 40 F.

I lived on the North Slope for many years and I used the same method to lube my bolt action and semi-auto firearms. When I used up the LSA I had I used Mobil Sub-Zero fluid. Used it because it was what the Barrow FD used in vehicles so...
    “Move that fat ass Henry!”
    “Don’t swing your balls or you’ll swamp the boat!"

Ok Then,,,,, FWIW, I've been using Marval Mystery Oil for years, yea, since the 50's, it was my Granddads go to Lube for everything on the Ranch, as the Old John-Deer Engines, ie... Johnnie-Poppers had Upper Cylinder Lubricators,,,,, and thats where the Marvel Mystery Oil was used,,,, anyway I've also used the Penn Real Oil,,,, All Very Good, when "Lightly-Applied",,,, and what ever you do,,,, LEAVE your Rifle outside, so it can "Acclimate", and when in the Tent or Cabin,,,, thats when I've either got my .44, and or my Mossy 3" w/Brennek's Blk. Magic Slugs to handle any unwanted intruders, be it 2-leg and or the 4-legged variety,,,, but again when it's that "Cold", most of the 4-legged type are fast asleep, or should be anyway. That's my Story and I'm Sticking to it.
    TG
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ]

Many years ago, 2 of my brothers were calling wolves one dark and very cold winter night. Entire pack shows up and surrounds them. Neither rifle would fire. They removed all lube from the action when they returned home.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Mr German is correct.

I forgot to mention about leaving the M16s, M60s, and the other firearms outside.

As an up-date to my 1st Post above, and for those that might be wondering how to "Protect" your Rifle when outside, I used old coats, jackets,,, ect....
    then we were Elk Hunting, early 90's in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness, Mont./Idaho, we hired a Wrangler/Packer to pack our Camp in,,,,, anyway around the camp fire that 1st night, that conversation came-up,,,, he went to his Pack Saddle, and pulled out this White Canvas Bag, [later learned it was an old Tent Stake Bag] anyway it was about 3" or so longer than my Rifle, and about 8-10" in diameter, and had a slot cut at the bottom of the bag about 2-3" in length, then he took my Rifle put it in the Bag Butstock end 1st, then pulled up my sling thru that opening, and hung it of the small limb-stub of the Tree next to our Tent,,,,, the canvas bag doesn't get wet in-side when it Rains, or Snows, a little stiff when it's cold, but the Rifle is protected from the Elements, and it's Acclimated, I've still got that Canvas Bag, it has never missed a Hunting Trip.
    TG
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ]

When in the field we stacked our M16s outside the squad tent. Only time in the military I was allowed to have my rife not in my hands in the field.

On the North Slope we also put our rifles in canvas bags and hung them on the sled uprights.

Thank you gentlemen, sage wisdom indeed. I do keep my gun outside, the bolt is real stiff to open when cold. I may try to see how it does dry for a bit and if I don't like it, I will try a real light application of ATF or Penn Reel Oil I guess. Thanks again!

G-96 for me, I missed a huge elk one winter because my other lube made the firing pin have a light hit. I went home and used cleaning solvent to remove all the oils, Then I used the G-96 and I have never looked back, hunted down to 35 below zero. It also protects well from any rust building up. Some of the synthetic oils say they work well at low temps. I'll stick with the G-96 because it works.

Have any of you guys ever used LPS...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!