Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a new way to cook rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I donít soak em. No need. Cook fresh. Often slow simmer till falls off the bone, hour or less, while doin that throw in veggies ya already chopped while simmering bunny. Add noodles. I like soup over a big pile of mashed potatoes. Or more often I just mashed potatoes in same pot. Makes a thick style stew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No offense, but I respectfully disagree. I shoot and eat a lot of rabbits. Probably at least 20-30 a year, if not more. And in my opinion, soaking in saltwater is a must. Unless you like your meat to taste gamey. But everyone's different I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Hasenpfeffer
    Make a marinade
    1 cup water1 cup red wine
    1 cup red wine vinegar

1 tablespoon salt
    2 tablespoons chopped rosemary (fresh is better)

1 tablespoon juniper berries, crushed

1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns

3 bay leaves

4 cloves
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 cup chopped onions

Put everything in a pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool to room temp

1 snowshoe hare, or rabbit, or 3-4 squirrels cut up into serving size pieces

MARINATE MEAT in Ziploc bags in the fridge for 24 to 48 hours

1 full stick butter butter + 2 TBSP cooking oil

Flour for dredging

1 tsp each salt, pepper, ground or rubbed sage, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg

2 to 3 cups chopped onion

4 or 5 slabbed carrots or parsnips (peeled, split, cut in 3rds)

4 or 5 stalks celery cut in 4ths

1/4 cup sour cream

When it's time to cook setup plates for dredging and get out your Dutch oven or heavy casserole
    Preheat the oven to 325
    Remove the hare from the marinade and pat it dry. Save the marinade.
    Heat the oil and half the butter in Dutch oven/casserole on medium. Mix spices into flour and dredge the meat and brown well on all sides.
    Remove meat pieces as they brown and set aside

As the last pieces are browning strain the marinade into a bowl.

After the meat is done melt remaining butter then add the onion and stir to coat with the butter. Cook onions over medium-high heat until they are soft and a little brown on the edges. Sprinkle salt over them as they cook.

Return the browned meat to the pot and add the strained marinade. Bring to a simmer, add remaining vegetables, cover and put into the oven.
    Cook until the meat wants to fall off the bones: This will take 2 to 4 hours for wild meat, or between 90 minutes and 2 hours for a store-bought rabbit.

To serve the hasenpfeffer, remove it from the Dutch oven/casserole and add 1 cup of sour cream to the sauce and mix on low heat just enough to heat sour cream. Plate the meat with some pieces of vegetables and spoon some of the sauce over everything
    I've never really cared for Hassenfeffer. We've tried it a couple different times and didn't care for it. I think it's an acquired taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    No offense, but I respectfully disagree. I shoot and eat a lot of rabbits. Probably at least 20-30 a year, if not more. And in my opinion, soaking in saltwater is a must. Unless you like your meat to taste gamey. But everyone's different I guess.

I've never really cared for Hassenfeffer. We've tried it a couple different times and didn't care for it. I think it's an acquired taste.
    Donít think itíd gamey, I clean right away in field tho, atleast fling the guts out. I donít eat as many as you and havenít even killed one in 3 years I think. But hope to this year. Miss that bunny stew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I agree. It's old school imo....My Dad used to soak all small game before eating. From rabbits and squirrel to pheasants, ducks and geese. It's draws a lot of blood impurities out that can make some of those critters a little strong tasting.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I agree. It's old school imo....My Dad used to soak all small game before eating. From rabbits and squirrel to pheasants, ducks and geese. It's draws a lot of blood impurities out that can make some of those critters a little strong tasting.
    Yep, exactly. I also found that it makes it a whole lot easier to separate out the blood shot meat and any pellets if they were shot with a shotgun. If I am hunting alone I use a .22 or a .17 hmr., but when I'm hunting with my beagle I use a shotgun because she runs the hares so fast in front of me. After soaking the meat for a day or two the texture and color of the meat starts to change a lot and the contrast between what's edible and non-edible is more apparent.

Sign me up for overnight soaks for all the same reasons, a cup of salt to a gallon of water.

As for cooking, I'll tell you a secret. I grew up on a ranch down on the border, and ranchers don't eat beef unless they have to put down an animal before market time. YOU DON'T EAT MEAT YOU CAN SELL. We ate a whole of wild game, especially rabbits.

Here's another secret:

Texas-style chili was invented for tough jackrabbits and not for beef! You may never use beef again after you've used snowshoe hare instead to make your favorite chili. Young snowshoes are dandy for frying, but those tough old-timers are prime for chili.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12