Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Looking for a new way to cook rabbit

  1. #1
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,481

    Default Looking for a new way to cook rabbit

    Want something different other than frying it. Anyone got a good way of cooking rabbit. Thanks
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

  2. #2
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Last year I soaked mine in a salt brine with herbs overnight or maybe longer, I don't remember. After soaking it, I rinsed it off and put it back in the fridge for another 24 hours. Afterwards, I made some homemade cream of mushroom soup and cooked that with the hare in a crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. It turned out fantastic!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  3. #3
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    Thanks for the information sounds great
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Last year I soaked mine in a salt brine with herbs overnight or maybe longer, I don't remember. After soaking it, I rinsed it off and put it back in the fridge for another 24 hours. Afterwards, I made some homemade cream of mushroom soup and cooked that with the hare in a crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. It turned out fantastic!
    The same. I always soak my hares in salt water for at least 24 hours. Then I bone it out and separate all the bloodshot meat. Then my wife either deep fries some for the kids and then she makes a delicious casserole from cream of mushroom soup, potatoes, onions and a few other things I am sure, but it is delicious. That's my favorite recipe anyhow.

  5. #5
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,776

    Default

    Stew in a slow crock pot until tender. Carefully remove and make gravy. Arrange pieces in a skillet with gravy and top with scratch dumplings. Finish in a hot oven until dumplings are done and lightly browned. Heaven on earth.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

  6. #6

    Default

    My buddy does them like grouse poppers and they are amazing. Take a chunk of rabbit, slap a chunk of pineapple and a chunk of jalapeno on it, wrap the three up together with bacon and hold with a toothpick. Grill slowly until bacon is done. MMMMMMMMMMMM!

    Of course, you could wrap a moose turd in bacon and I'd probably say the same thing.....
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

  7. #7
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    Thanks everyone they all sound very good
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

  8. #8
    Member PG13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    343

    Default Pheasant, quail, cottontail

    Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Want something different other than frying it. Anyone got a good way of cooking rabbit. Thanks
    Do yourself a favor and just buy Hank's newest book. Until it arrives, use his extensive recipe collection on his website:

    https://honest-food.net/wild-game/ra...irrel-recipes/

  9. #9
    Member coop22250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Anchor Point
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Rinella was saying to use a fork like a tenderizer, to stick it in the hind quarter, back strap, front shoulder, neck about 30 times each, dry rub it and grill. Said you’d never look at rabbit the same again. It’s on my to do list for the year


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10

    Default

    I like to soak it overnight in water that has some salt and vinegar in it. rinse and put in crock pot covered in tomato sauce with a couple of cinnamon sticks thrown in. Some onions that you fry till clear are good in there as well as mushrooms. Let cook till tender which the acidic tomato helps with. I like to put in peeled and chunked potatoes an hour or 2 before the end. Can be served over egg noodles also. Have eaten lots of hares like this and it is always a hit. Recipe came from my ex in-laws who cooked rabbit that way back in Greece.
    EDIT: cinnamon sticks are the key ingredient in this recipe so don't omit them.

  11. #11
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Last year I soaked mine in a salt brine with herbs overnight or maybe longer, I don't remember. After soaking it, I rinsed it off and put it back in the fridge for another 24 hours. Afterwards, I made some homemade cream of mushroom soup and cooked that with the hare in a crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. It turned out fantastic!
    I also add some red-wine vinegar to my salt bine as well.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  12. #12
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    10,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Last year I soaked mine in a salt brine with herbs overnight or maybe longer, I don't remember. After soaking it, I rinsed it off and put it back in the fridge for another 24 hours. Afterwards, I made some homemade cream of mushroom soup and cooked that with the hare in a crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. It turned out fantastic!
    My recipe is similar but to the can of cream of mushroom soup, I also add about the same in sour cream. Then top with chives and stuffing, with a layer of cheddar cheese, and throw it in the oven for a little while.

    And yes we always soak in a salt and red wine vinegar solution overnight. Red wine vinegar is THE best. I only change up when I brine my fish, and for that I add a little apple cider vinegar...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Try making a big pot of gumbo.

  14. #14
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BenC View Post
    Try making a big pot of gumbo.
    Definitely!
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

  15. #15
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    I don’t soak em. No need. Cook fresh. Often slow simmer till falls off the bone, hour or less, while doin that throw in veggies ya already chopped while simmering bunny. Add noodles. I like soup over a big pile of mashed potatoes. Or more often I just mashed potatoes in same pot. Makes a thick style stew.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Do yourself a favor and just buy Hank's newest book. Until it arrives, use his extensive recipe collection on his website:

    https://honest-food.net/wild-game/ra...irrel-recipes/
    Thanks just ordered it
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

  17. #17
    Member Erik in AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,017

    Default

    Hasenpfeffer
    Make a marinade
    1 cup water1 cup red wine
    1 cup red wine vinegar

    1 tablespoon salt
    2 tablespoons chopped rosemary (fresh is better)

    1 tablespoon juniper berries, crushed

    1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns

    3 bay leaves

    4 cloves
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 cup chopped onions

    Put everything in a pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool to room temp



    1 snowshoe hare, or rabbit, or 3-4 squirrels cut up into serving size pieces

    MARINATE MEAT in Ziploc bags in the fridge for 24 to 48 hours



    1 full stick butter butter + 2 TBSP cooking oil

    Flour for dredging

    1 tsp each salt, pepper, ground or rubbed sage, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg

    2 to 3 cups chopped onion

    4 or 5 slabbed carrots or parsnips (peeled, split, cut in 3rds)

    4 or 5 stalks celery cut in 4ths

    1/4 cup sour cream



    When it's time to cook setup plates for dredging and get out your Dutch oven or heavy casserole
    Preheat the oven to 325
    Remove the hare from the marinade and pat it dry. Save the marinade.
    Heat the oil and half the butter in Dutch oven/casserole on medium. Mix spices into flour and dredge the meat and brown well on all sides.
    Remove meat pieces as they brown and set aside

    As the last pieces are browning strain the marinade into a bowl.


    After the meat is done melt remaining butter then add the onion and stir to coat with the butter. Cook onions over medium-high heat until they are soft and a little brown on the edges. Sprinkle salt over them as they cook.

    Return the browned meat to the pot and add the strained marinade. Bring to a simmer, add remaining vegetables, cover and put into the oven.
    Cook until the meat wants to fall off the bones: This will take 2 to 4 hours for wild meat, or between 90 minutes and 2 hours for a store-bought rabbit.

    To serve the hasenpfeffer, remove it from the Dutch oven/casserole and add 1 cup of sour cream to the sauce and mix on low heat just enough to heat sour cream. Plate the meat with some pieces of vegetables and spoon some of the sauce over everything
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    14C
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Put it in a crockpot with water covering it, add a chicken bullion cube and let it cook several hours. Meat falls off the bone (like shredded meat) and is delicious.
    Use it like chicken for anything from tacos to stroganoff to “pulled pork” sandwiches.

  19. #19
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Hasenpfeffer
    Make a marinade
    1 cup water1 cup red wine
    1 cup red wine vinegar

    1 tablespoon salt
    2 tablespoons chopped rosemary (fresh is better)

    1 tablespoon juniper berries, crushed

    1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns

    3 bay leaves

    4 cloves
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 cup chopped onions

    Put everything in a pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool to room temp



    1 snowshoe hare, or rabbit, or 3-4 squirrels cut up into serving size pieces

    MARINATE MEAT in Ziploc bags in the fridge for 24 to 48 hours



    1 full stick butter butter + 2 TBSP cooking oil

    Flour for dredging

    1 tsp each salt, pepper, ground or rubbed sage, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg

    2 to 3 cups chopped onion

    4 or 5 slabbed carrots or parsnips (peeled, split, cut in 3rds)

    4 or 5 stalks celery cut in 4ths

    1/4 cup sour cream



    When it's time to cook setup plates for dredging and get out your Dutch oven or heavy casserole
    Preheat the oven to 325
    Remove the hare from the marinade and pat it dry. Save the marinade.
    Heat the oil and half the butter in Dutch oven/casserole on medium. Mix spices into flour and dredge the meat and brown well on all sides.
    Remove meat pieces as they brown and set aside

    As the last pieces are browning strain the marinade into a bowl.


    After the meat is done melt remaining butter then add the onion and stir to coat with the butter. Cook onions over medium-high heat until they are soft and a little brown on the edges. Sprinkle salt over them as they cook.

    Return the browned meat to the pot and add the strained marinade. Bring to a simmer, add remaining vegetables, cover and put into the oven.
    Cook until the meat wants to fall off the bones: This will take 2 to 4 hours for wild meat, or between 90 minutes and 2 hours for a store-bought rabbit.

    To serve the hasenpfeffer, remove it from the Dutch oven/casserole and add 1 cup of sour cream to the sauce and mix on low heat just enough to heat sour cream. Plate the meat with some pieces of vegetables and spoon some of the sauce over everything
    That sounds yummy! Thanks for reminding me. I also brown them in flour and butter/oil prior to cooking.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  20. #20
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    10,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    That sounds yummy!
    I was thinking the same thing!

    So that's how hasenpfeffer is made. Makes me wish I killed more cottontails when I was down in the lower 48. Now THOSE are some delicious rabbits, hasenpfeffer or not. But I sure wish I would have tried it back then. Unfortunately I haven't killed a snowshoe in years. Just don't see them around like we used to...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •