Thread: Galvanic "Pop Ups"

Default Galvanic "Pop Ups"

I saw this article posted on another forum about a dirtbag that set before the season opening and kept a whole bunch of dungies underwater until the commercial opening:

https://komonews.com/news/local/fish...-season-opened

While this deserves and will likely get widespread condemnation here, what got my attention was the use of galvanic timed releases (pop ups) to accomplish his means of deception. So it got me to wondering if they're legal in Alaska and if so, if anybody uses them. It seems they would help reduce the poaching that has been going on but also may wind up with more tangled gear in crowded shrimping areas if somebody dropped on top of you unknowingly. Here's what they look like:

http://neptunemarineproducts.com/gal...imed-releases/

Ok, so thoughts?

I'm 99% sure they are not legal. What would you use for a buoy if they were legal ? You couldn't use a A2 or A3 , you'd need a real heavy pot, ever try pushing a A2 underwater it ain't easy and if you used a smaller buoy then the sink rope would most likely sink the buoy. Now guys setting over the gear would also be another problem.
    Want a good trick to use on thieves ?? tie a balloon filled with driveway sealer down the buoyline aways, when the ballon hits the hauling blocks it breaks and splatters on the house & boat side with the black goo and it CAN'T be wiped off !! Now the thief has a nice mark on the boat. Hand grenades work well also if you can get one !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Driveway sealer would likely be like rock in our cold water. But I agree, it would be nice to mark those boats that are poaching others gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

[QUOTE=bkmail;1650586]Driveway sealer would likely be like rock in our cold water. But I agree, it would be nice to mark those boats that are poaching others gear.

thin it out a bit with some paint thinner then it will be a nice brown stain !! only one way to find out.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'm 99% sure they are not legal. What would you use for a buoy if they were legal ? You couldn't use a A2 or A3 , you'd need a real heavy pot, ever try pushing a A2 underwater it ain't easy and if you used a smaller buoy then the sink rope would most likely sink the buoy. Now guys setting over the gear would also be another problem.
    Want a good trick to use on thieves ?? tie a balloon filled with driveway sealer down the buoyline aways, when the ballon hits the hauling blocks it breaks and splatters on the house & boat side with the black goo and it CAN'T be wiped off !! Now the thief has a nice mark on the boat. Hand grenades work well also if you can get one !!
    I looked in the regs and all I could find is the usual about the buoy having markings, not that it's floating on the surface. Then again, it's likely one of those "interpretation" things. And agree about the size of the buoy and weight to hold it down, an A2 or A3 wouldn't go down with anything less than an engine block holding it down. I'd love to see someone get painted with tar too but I'd likely be looking the other way when that balloon came up and mess my own boat - ouch! Staying close with gun in hand may be the only solution for stopping those low life thieves.

I know a guy that used duck decoys for bouys, well along with some foam cork line floats a bit lower to help with keeping everything floating. He had his name on the decoys. Legal, not sure but effective yes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Inflatable bouys will implode at those depths