Thread: Seaducking

Default Seaducking

Alright haven't been duck hunting a lot this year but I'm making a run for seaducks in the next week. I've managed to harvest most species commonly found down in Kachemak the last few years but I was wondering if anybody would discuss with me areas to even see eiders. I don't spend a lot of time on the water in the winter and when I do I've been going to previous successful spots shooting scoter species, harlies, a couple long tails, lots of goleneyes and buffles. I don't think I've ever seen any eiders flying about or loafing. Do others see them and I'm not in the right spots or are the numbers just not very high down there. Probably not gonna try much of anything new this trip but I'm looking at trying a longer trip later this winter.

Thanks

Havenít seen much for eiders sent you a pm though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I have heard of the occasional eider in the homer area late in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I've heard, even seeing an eider around Homer would be a rare occasion.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Plenty of Stellars eiders hanging around homer and seldovia, but highly illegal shoot those. Buck said he'd occasionally get a common eider down there per season when he was guiding out of Seldovia. I don't think I'd count on getting any eiders out there though.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Thatís kind of what I thought, figured thereís the odd eider here and there just wanted to make sure I wasnít missing them due to location. Forecast is up to 35 and 7 so I may not be going this weekend. Does Buck still have his guide service down there.

I wish I could remember where I found it but I once came across a web site that listed different species of birds that were spotted in K-bay, the list went back for quite a few years and it seems that there are one or two sightings of King Eiders in the homer area every other year or two. I had a buddy that was trolling kings down there a few years back and had three King eiders fly by a few days before the season ended. I went and hunted where he seen them at hoping to get lucky but I didn't see them.
    I have always wondered if you could find Eiders in the Barrens but you won't catch me down there in the winter in my boat, so I'll never know for sure.

Birdwatchers report seeing them north. Anchor point or further and depending on the ice in the Inlet. Iíve looked before, but weather plays a huge factor in being able to go out or how far to go. See them more often in the late winter/early spring.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Plenty of Stellars eiders hanging around homer and seldovia, but highly illegal shoot those. Buck said he'd occasionally get a common eider down there per season when he was guiding out of Seldovia. I don't think I'd count on getting any eiders out there though.
    Is Buck done with guiding Seldovia?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I reserve the right to refuse service to any forum member.

Buck still guiding but a big no on legal eiders. Have seen some kings and commons but in late winter/ early spring. Did shoot a brant lately that is fairly uncommon here.

Good to hear.
    Saw a flock brant this summer at mouth of Kasilof and have seen them once before off the spit in spring.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I reserve the right to refuse service to any forum member.

Didnít go today and probably wonít try and squeeze in tomorrow kids are sick hunted locally though and scratched a limit goldeneyes, green heads and a teal

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    Didnít go today and probably wonít try and squeeze in tomorrow kids are sick hunted locally though and scratched a limit goldeneyes, green heads and a teal
    Wow! Greenheads still?! I haven't seen any since September.