Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: 2018 K-Bay Crabbing

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    Yep, that was me! How was the water crossing on Sunday? It looked much nicer than Saturday.
    Looks can be deceiving. It was only slightly better than Saturday on the crossing, but Tutka bay was flat glass.

  2. #22
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Pulled today in 420’ 3 miles from spit. Overnight soak got 12 legals but had to check 9 of em. 40 female tanners and 30 or so female dungies. 90 minute soak yesterday at an undisclosed location netted 15 legals all over 5 1/2”.. best pull I’ve had.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  3. #23
    Member MaximumPenetration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Pulled today in 420’ 3 miles from spit. Overnight soak got 12 legals but had to check 9 of em. 40 female tanners and 30 or so female dungies. 90 minute soak yesterday at an undisclosed location netted 15 legals all over 5 1/2”.. best pull I’ve had.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah most, if not all, the crab I’ve kept this year have been 5 1/2”+. It sure is nice to find a spot that produces, isn’t it?
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

  4. #24
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Coming out of tutka today the last buoy was in about 160’ near the power lines. It was a single orange ball and I gave it plenty of room. However, it had at least 100’ of floating poly which I grabbed in my prop. Don’t know whose it was because my buddy went astern and threw the line off without checking name. Pretty shallow, so my guess is someone else hit it and dragged it, or it was poached and dropped a long way from the crab. One way or the other DONT PUT FLOATING LINE ON YOUR TOPSHOT!!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  5. #25
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    4,035

    Default 2018 K-Bay Crabbing

    There is more meat in one mersus of a 6” crab than any three legs of a 4 1/2 incher!!! This is the biggest crab we’ve gotten, the smallest from today’s pick, and one that was pretty average.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  6. #26
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,157

    Default 2018 K-Bay Crabbing

    We dumped our pot in tutka and got smoked by a octopus. There was one crab in the pot that was completely torn apart and my bait bag was destroyed. I cut a leg off and threw it back so if some one gets a 7 legged octopus in the next week in tutka you should cut off another leg.

    That was very disappointing.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  7. #27
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Coming out of tutka today the last buoy was in about 160’ near the power lines. It was a single orange ball and I gave it plenty of room. However, it had at least 100’ of floating poly which I grabbed in my prop. Don’t know whose it was because my buddy went astern and threw the line off without checking name. Pretty shallow, so my guess is someone else hit it and dragged it, or it was poached and dropped a long way from the crab. One way or the other DONT PUT FLOATING LINE ON YOUR TOPSHOT!!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is an IQ Test.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  8. #28
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Coming out of tutka today the last buoy was in about 160’ near the power lines. It was a single orange ball and I gave it plenty of room. However, it had at least 100’ of floating poly which I grabbed in my prop. Don’t know whose it was because my buddy went astern and threw the line off without checking name. Pretty shallow, so my guess is someone else hit it and dragged it, or it was poached and dropped a long way from the crab. One way or the other DONT PUT FLOATING LINE ON YOUR TOPSHOT!!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I saw that pot as well. Wasn’t sure what it was doing that shallow


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  9. #29
    Member MaximumPenetration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    We dumped our pot in tutka and got smoked by a octopus. There was one crab in the pot that was completely torn apart and my bait bag was destroyed. I cut a leg off and threw it back so if some one gets a 7 legged octopus in the next week in tutka you should cut off another leg.

    That was very disappointing.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Dude...please keep octopus like this one. I will gladly trade you several limits of large Bairdi for one of those. They are amazing eating and even better bait.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

  10. #30
    Member MaximumPenetration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    There is more meat in one mersus of a 6” crab than any three legs of a 4 1/2 incher!!! This is the biggest crab we’ve gotten, the smallest from today’s pick, and one that was pretty average.
    When you say mersus, are you referring to the merus, the large top section of each leg closest to the body?
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

  11. #31
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Yep.oops...don’t know where the extra s came from!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  12. #32
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    Dude...please keep octopus like this one. I will gladly trade you several limits of large Bairdi for one of those. They are amazing eating and even better bait.
    I dove Tutka bay yesterday and in one section we seen 7 octopus and several more octo holes with either no one home or they were too far back in the hole to see.

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •