Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 K-Bay Crabbing

Default 2018 K-Bay Crabbing

Last year was absolutely fantastic for crabbing in K-Bay. After my first soak, every soak after never left me with less than double the number of keepers I needed and I usually had 7-8 permits on board for each pull. There were days I released 40+ keepers. This year has started out decent, but not as good. I'm hoping the colder weather will bring more crab. I haven't been releasing tons of keepers, but I've been getting limits for the permits on the boat and been having a grand time!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

The original 2 pictures came through, the next 10 didn't.

Surprised you haven't lost your pot yet.

I can't get images to post no matter what I do. I created an album under my user name that is viewable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Grayson View Post
    Surprised you haven't lost your pot yet.
    Why do you say that? I fished it at least 15 days last season and for 4 days so far this season. Are pots going away?

Several complaints of pots going missing already this year.

Default 2018 K-Bay Crabbing

First off, we pretty much fish the shipping lanes, (unless you are in Tutka). Iíve seen some pots with huge bouys, way bigger than they should be that would easily float the pot away in a good blow, and Iíve also seen pots marked with only a dungie float and a cork line trailer...sinks in the slightest current. The crabbing has been very sporadic, with one spot producing for a couple days then just going dead. Lots of 5Ē-6Ē female dungeness sometimes, Iíve had a few hauls where that was all we got. The crab trawl survey was down from last year in almost all areas. Tanner population in k-bay is at a historic low, yet pressure from F&G (mind you, above the level of our regional bios... you know, the ones with first hand knowledge of the resource, the folks who do the fieldwork.) to open the fishery won out over conservation concerns. Definitely not as good as last year...I bet we are headed toward a closure. If not by EO this year then next year. Iíd bet money.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    First off, we pretty much fish the shipping lanes, (unless you are in Tutka). Iíve seen some pots with huge bouys, way bigger than they should be that would easily float the pot away in a good blow, and Iíve also seen pots marked with only a dungie float and a cork line trailer...sinks in the slightest current. The crabbing has been very sporadic, with one spot producing for a couple days then just going dead. Lots of 5Ē-6Ē female dungeness sometimes, Iíve had a few hauls where that was all we got. The crab trawl survey was down from last year in almost all areas. Tanner population in k-bay is at a historic low, yet pressure from F&G (mind you, above the level of our regional bios... you know, the ones with first hand knowledge of the resource, the folks who do the fieldwork.) to open the fishery won out over conservation concerns. Definitely not as good as last year...I bet we are headed toward a closure. If not by EO this year then next year. Iíd bet money.
    Wow, that's a real bummer. It definitely isn't as good as last year, but I've killed over 75 nice sized Bairdi on my boat so far this year with minimal effort. Do you have links to the crab trawl survey? I've never seen any of them before and I'm very curious as to what they look like and the information in them. One interesting note, I killed over 275 crab on my boat last year. Brought well over 1000 to the boat in my single pot, sometimes in excess of 90 per pull, and I never once saw a female Bairdi. I probably had 20 dungie's in my pot total last year. This year about half the crab in my pot each time are dungies and I have caught at least 10 females packed with eggs. But still ZERO female Bairdi.

We must be is slightly different areas. Iíve tossed dozens of female tanners this year. If you want to see a pot full of females go set at gull island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, Iím so frustrated. Another soak and nothing but female dungeness and one short mostly legless tanner. Moved from 450í 3 miles from the spit to 420í 4.5 miles out. Keep hearing guys say theyíre getting 20-40 keepers. I sure donít know where.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Man, Iím so frustrated. Another soak and nothing but female dungeness and one short mostly legless tanner. Moved from 450í 3 miles from the spit to 420í 4.5 miles out. Keep hearing guys say theyíre getting 20-40 keepers. I sure donít know where.

You also hear guys that get 4mpg in their boats cruising 30 knots, get 10 gallons per pull shrimping, catch 15+ lb average on silvers a week before the derby, and shoot 1/2" groups at 200 yards off hand.

Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I went out this weekend with the wife and kids. Surprisingly every crab we caught was a keeper and not a single female in the bunch.

Attachment 96980Attachment 96981
    Kept 24 today, released at least that many keepers as well. 6-8 foot seas off the end of the spit. Got my first female Bairdi in two seasons of crabbing.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    Attachment 96980Attachment 96981
    Kept 24 today, released at least that many keepers as well. 6-8 foot seas off the end of the spit. Got my first female Bairdi in two seasons of crabbing.
    You must be the red Hewes we saw loading up at the dock Saturday? I have the blue Almar.

At 310' I had 46 female tanners, 4 keeper males, and a handful of Dungees. I re-set close by but in 345' and got 9 keepers overnight and a handful of dungees again. I re-set at 430' on Sunday and didn't even get a snail haha.

All last season I caught 2 barely legal tanners so I consider this winning.

Quote Originally Posted by akfunhog View Post
    You must be the red Hewes we saw loading up at the dock Saturday? I have the blue Almar.

At 310' I had 46 female tanners, 4 keeper males, and a handful of Dungees. I re-set close by but in 345' and got 9 keepers overnight and a handful of dungees again. I re-set at 430' on Sunday and didn't even get a snail haha.

All last season I caught 2 barely legal tanners so I consider this winning.
    Yep, that was me! How was the water crossing on Sunday? It looked much nicer than Saturday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast