Thread: Ling cod HELP!!!!!!

Exclamation Ling cod HELP!!!!!!

I really need some info. Please!!!!! I have searched the last three weeks for Lings out of Whittier. Even made a trip to the back side of Knight this past weekened. No luck. If someone could please give me some info on where a likley place out of Whittier is to bag some keeper lings I would greatly appreciate it. I don't need anyones honey hole just a point in the right direction would help. Thanks

Default Simple...

Just go fish for some Halibuts & you'll catch some lings... :P

Smile

Ed,
    Try rocky points with jagged drops and don't pass up the kelp when found! Cruise right up to the very edge of the kelp keying in on your depth finder. Most lings will ambush their food so look to the bottom 4 ft. Look for 50-80 FOW and jig a VERY large scampi twister tail in flame orange. I can't find these jigs locally, but did pick some up in Washington. This isn't the typical halibut/ling fishing technique, (since most lings I believe are caught by accident!) I think that these fish key in on soft finned species like kelp greenling, young cod, and shrimp... Give it a try!

Try around Little Smith Island. There is good Ling fishing there (until it is fished out).

Default Want to be a fisherman?

Find your own spots and do your best to keep them secret. The key to catching nice fish is to fish where NO ONE ELSE DOES. Why does everyone think there is a super hot spot with endless big fish for everyone? How many times do we hear.. "we killed them for a week and now they're gone.. don't know what happened? DUH!!! Think about it. Too many boat drivers and not many fishermen these days. I'm all for helping a guy out, but halibut and ling spots get fished out. It's like picking from a garden.

Montague Island
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

BIG BAIT. We have got lings most days I've gone out. Almost every one has been on a salmon head with the fileted out body still attached. Back side of Knight is a good place to start.
    One way to check for lings is to study your small halibut for bite marks as they come up. I don't mean huge gashes, Just look for teeth scrapes , usually around the belly section.

Go out to the GOA and cruise around watching your sonar for structure that does not show on the charts. Its a time honored tradition for finding fish. Do not fish any one spot till it is cleaned out. Good luck and happy fishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pinnacles are a good place to find them. Also if you can find allot of sea bass this another area you might want to check out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Head out of Res Bay and turn left. Every time we go out there we land a couple 45-50 inches long.
    Tennessee

Thumbs up Lings

I can usually catch them off the south end of Chenega Island. There are some pinacles there that usually produce.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it. I will continue to practice safe fishing. Always have, always will.

What kind of range do you have with your boat? Fish the Needle by Green Island. Lots and lots of lings there. Also try around the Hinchenbrook entrance near Zaikof Bay. Look for the humps sticking out of deep water in the entrance and look for the 60-150 foot range closer in towards shore. If you really have the range, run out to Seal Rocks. Fish the 60-180 foot region and you will catch Lings, I guarantee it. Best fishing around if you can make it there.

If you can't go that far just look for the small reef on the back side of Little Smith Island. Use your chart and you can't miss it. Very good early season Ling fishing but it does get fished pretty hard and the catch rate decreases as the season progresses. You can also catch Lings near Disk Island but it is little more tricky to find them (and I haven't run out of Whittier in 2 years so I have no idea if it's even supporting a viable population anymore).

Some folks like the big lead head jigs (16-36 ounces) but I've had much better luck using the 6-12 ouncers and the smaller curly tail bodies, I can work the jig in tighter places without it getting stuck and I'm not sporting burning arms from lifting the big jigs all day (as long as the tide isn't ripping too bad, then I will switch to the heavier jigs just to hold the bottom)

PM me if you need any more info but I have pretty much given you all you need to slay some Lings! ;-)

Shoot me a pm and I can give you the location where we found this one and a few more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Rv2CHrxao

Now that's a cool video but it wasn't long enough