Thread: Adams and Bennett barrels

Default Adams and Bennett barrels

Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Adams and Bennett barrels for the Savage or Mauser actions. I was thinking of picking up a used Savage 110 and converting it to 35 whelen. As always, any thoughts or experiences are appreciated.
    thanks,
    Jason
    Never give a gun to a duck...

I've heard good things from people in the past, I don't have any first hand experience with them.

I have had several (4). Those that are pre-threaded and pre-chambered, in my experience are average shooters. When you get their blank, thread and chamber yourself, they shoot very well. The most accurate rifle I have is a 243 with an A&B barrel. I will not be buying any more of their pre threade/chambered but will use their blanks. They are worth the money. J.

I have one of the 35 whelen barrels on a mauser. It was originally chambered as a 35 whelen ackley by a friend of a friend, or questionable ability. Accuracy was mediocre, took lots of load work to find one load that would group 3 into 1 1/2", but it was a hot load and backing off even a 1/2 gr opened it up to 2-3". So I had it re-chambered to a 350 rigby by a real smith, who also recrowned the barrel and faced the action. Suddenly I had to work to shoot groups worse than 1 1/2", and best groups are a tad over 1/2" for 3 shots.

That said, the barrels are rough on the interior and take alot of effort to clean. For the expense and trouble of getting a barrel fit, I wouldn't go with an A&B again. I want a custom rifle to be superior to a factory gun, and A&B is on the low end of factory barrels. But if you have a savage and just want to wrench on a new barrel to try out a different chambering, it's a reasonable approach.