Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Useful skills / time

Quote Originally Posted by akaviator View Post

Mountain and "backcountry" flying in the states is useless here really.
    Interesting. I’ve done both and have found the opposite. Do much flying in the weeds in the lesser 48?

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Interesting. I’ve done both and have found the opposite. Do much flying in the weeds in the lesser 48?
    Don't know what you're getting at. I haven't done any "backcountry" lower 48 flying. What I'm saying is "backcountry" lower 48 flying doesn't translate to flying a sled in Bethel. It's about the weather and sloppy runways out there. I have a few thousand hours in rural Alaska.

I flew most of the Idaho back country strips and some of those in Montana for 2 years. Some of them are very short one way strips with no go around on short final with take offs on curving, rutted, down hill strips or climbing out through narrow canyons etc. I flew employed as a pilot all over Alaska for 135 operations and for lodges from 1975 until 2007. My lower 48 back country experience was very valuable in honing my skills for Alaska flying. Alaska has no monopoly on lousy weather...cold weather, icing conditions, wind, turbulence, bad visibility, snow storms, etc. Also the mountain flying experience flying out of Salmon Idaho was invaluable for tweaking my judgement in assessing safe procedures in dealing with mountain flying in Alaska, especially in windy conditions.

So I have to agree with gbflyer in finding just the opposite true of akaviator's assertion that "You'll never need high mountain skills unless you end up guiding hunters in the Brooks Range" or "Mountain and "backcountry" flying in the states is useless here really." There are a few dozen roadless mountain passes in Alaska, some of them unamed through all of Alaska's 14 Major mountain ranges and many through the lesser ranges that are named off shoots of the major ones. Merrill, Rainy and Portage passes are notorious for their scattered airplane wrecks. So mountain flying experience is valuable even if it is acquired flying those ranges of the lower 48.

Don't know what you're getting at. I haven't done any "backcountry" lower 48 flying. What I'm saying is "backcountry" lower 48 flying doesn't translate to flying a sled in Bethel. It's about the weather and sloppy runways out there. I have a few thousand hours in rural Alaska.
    Flying a sled in Bethel doesn’t really make you an expert on flying in the lower 48. There is some very challenging terrain and WX down South. The days of scud running in sleds on the YK Delta are almost over (thank God) as Cessna only built 700+ 207s and most have been wrecked...

akaviator, I get what you are trying to say, even if others don't. Lol.
    I know any "back country" stuff I do here in the SE USA will not be easily translatable to anything in AK..just figure that doing that type of thing here will give me some plane handling skills that landing on a 6000' asphalt runway will not. Plus, back country and grass strip type stuff is more inline with the type of person I am rather than $100 hamburger runs on the weekend. I love outdoors..mountains, rivers, etc. It is one of the main reasons for wanting to be in AK...flying some of the most beautiful terrain/scenery in the world.
    I know there is very little I can do here that will prepare me for what will be seen there..I just gotta get the basics in before I can make a viable argument for the relocation.

Default Useful skills / time

Guys, the op wants to get an entry level job and nobody with a brain is going to turn him loose flying the passes of Alaska. He doesn’t have money to go fly Idaho backcountry or wherever else. Every hour flown adds to your skill set.

I’m just remembering back when I was starting my flying career and didn’t have two nickels to rub together, and no mommy and daddy with a bankroll to fund me.

He’s trying to get a job. What I’ve shared is the path to getting hired as quickly as possible. Right seat job in a Era/Hageland/Raven Caravan and build some time until he can get turned lose in a 207, of which there are still dozens flying in the bush.

I’ve got a pocket full of types now and life is really good, but I still remember when I was living on about $6 a day trying to get where I wanted to go. 10’x12’ cabin with no running water.

So when a guy says he doesn’t have a lot of money I am just trying to help a brother out so that he can be earning an honest living and not thinking he must spend money on stuff he doesn’t need.

Once you have a paycheck you can do all kinds of stuff like that. Funny how it works!

Happy Thanksgiving fellas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve seen a LOT of low time pilots from Florida and Texas hired here with no “equivalent” experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Great suggestion. I flew out of Bethel for five years. Lots of flying and it really isn't that bad of a place to live. Who hires Caravan SIC's now?
    Maybe Ravn?
    “Move that fat ass Henry!”
    “Don’t swing your balls or you’ll swamp the boat!"

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    Maybe Ravn?
    Yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12