Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lake louise

Still donít know why people feel the need to kill those big old lakers. Pretty irresponsible if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhardwater View Post
    Still donít know why people feel the need to kill those big old lakers. Pretty irresponsible if you ask me.
    Called management! Take out a couple nice ones for the grill each year and it boosts feed levels for the next ones to grow of size. Fatiguing the big guys just for a picture can have the same results as well.

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Called management! Take out a couple nice ones for the grill each year and it boosts feed levels for the next ones to grow of size. Fatiguing the big guys just for a picture can have the same results as well.
    I think what AKhardwater meant to say is to not keep the really big ones. BTW, you are only allowed to keep 1 laker per day and 1 in possession on lake Louise. The really big ones can take 50 years or more to get that big. And the reproductive potential of a lake trout is not that great. It is pretty easy to overfish and deplete a lake trout population in a lake that is a closed system. They have a relatively low fecundity and they only spawn every other year. If you are going to keep one for supper, then perhaps try to keep a medium or small-sized lake trout.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I think what AKhardwater meant to say is to not keep the really big ones. BTW, you are only allowed to keep 1 laker per day and 1 in possession on lake Louise. The really big ones can take 50 years or more to get that big. And the reproductive potential of a lake trout is not that great. It is pretty easy to overfish and deplete a lake trout population in a lake that is a closed system. They have a relatively low fecundity and they only spawn every other year. If you are going to keep one for supper, then perhaps try to keep a medium or small-sized lake trout.
    Iím seeing your point to some degree, and you offered up some insightful information. At what length do you say the cutoff for a dinner laker should be? I would like to keep a real nice one at some point this winter as there are a lot of mouths to feed around here. Ready to get out there and hit up my go to spot!

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Iím seeing your point to some degree, and you offered up some insightful information. At what length do you say the cutoff for a dinner laker should be? I would like to keep a real nice one at some point this winter as there are a lot of mouths to feed around here. Ready to get out there and hit up my go to spot!
    I rarely keep any myself unless me or someone in my family gets a bleeder. But sometimes in the summer when we are at our remote cabin, we will keep a small (less than 24") laker once or twice a week because we are low on grub. I definitely wouldn't be keeping any in the 30 inch category. Those big boys are pretty old and got lots of good genetic potential for breeding. Thanks for keeping an open mind and considering the input of others. Some people are too stubborn and get offended too easily if someone makes a helpful suggestion. Good luck!

I rarely keep any myself unless me or someone in my family gets a bleeder. But sometimes in the summer when we are at our remote cabin, we will keep a small (less than 24") laker once or twice a week because we are low on grub. I definitely wouldn't be keeping any in the 30 inch category. Those big boys are pretty old and got lots of good genetic potential for breeding. Thanks for keeping an open mind and considering the input of others. Some people are too stubborn and get offended too easily if someone makes a helpful suggestion. Good luck!
    How true, I have a couple places on lake Susitna and we almost never keep a laker, when we do fish I do not even take them out of the water.

Any reports from this weekend Iím liking the temps but it still looks like thereís a bunch of overflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhardwater View Post
    Any reports from this weekend Iím liking the temps but it still looks like thereís a bunch of overflow.
    Talked to John on the phone yesterday and he said that the overflow has gotten worse since the earthquake. Must have been some new cracks opened up or something.

Talked to John on the phone yesterday and he said that the overflow has gotten worse since the earthquake. Must have been some new cracks opened up or something.
    Another day beginning with fog, 9* maybe some sun later! The latest conditions were becoming much more promising, the overflow is freezing up, most of the ice is becoming passable, only about 1 to 15 inches of snow, no animals of any kind seen along the road, the trees will be breaking with the frozen snow and frost on them in some areas as they are heavily laden, the road is plowed with a light dusting of snow, and a ptarmigan in a spruce tree...🤗🤪🎄🎅🏻🎁

A friend of mine sent me some pictures today of some holes on Lake Louise from some methane pockets. He said he'd get on here later and give some more information about it. That's all I know for now. Just a word of caution to everyone out there to be aware of the danger.

Anyone have reports on the trail conditions in the area? What about the trail from Eureka to the lake?

As the day went on, I got a scoop on the what is happing question! North of Larson bay, overflow is happening again, the Channel is wide open, stay away from the middle of Lake Louise, open water again. The rest of the area seems to be holding its own in the 30 degree temps, and winds in excess 50mph. I Forgot to mention, some of the Lake Louise snowmachine club rep's staked alot of the trails this weekend also. Still more to go...
    Sent from my iPhone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12