Thread: New Snogo Trailer

Default New Snogo Trailer

Well, its finally time to think about replacing my ancient old steel trailer with something newer. Its had a long life but now I either need to drop 800-1200 bucks into it or put that money towards a new trailer. It's still not a bad trailer and has always been a good towing rig for me. However it seems wrong to spend between double and triple what I paid for it on upgrades and repair and that with me doing most of the labor too.

It'd be an easy choice if not for my truck (not full size) so I'm trying to watch the weight of whatever I decide to go with. For the 8.5x12 ft open trailer that would best work for me, it appears that an aluminum one will weigh around 650 lbs while a steel one will be about 850 lbs. I'm not sure how much of a difference that extra 200 lbs of trailer weight will make. Probably won't notice when I only have one machine on the trailer, but when I have 2 machines plus tow-behind sleds (~1100-1200 lbs) I'm not as sure. The truck can handle towing the weight, its more that as the trailer gets heavier it starts to push the truck around on the road more than I'd like.

Also, as far as brands/dealers go, any recommendations of which brands are better or worse? Especially if I do go with aluminum. I know that for a while there some manufactures had some serious durability issues.

Thanks alot!

Go steel. The aluminum ones crack and break much more. (Unless you have access to an aluminum welder, it will be a pain later getting it repaired occassionally).
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

I have a steel Midsota Nova Trailer from White spruce, love it. super strong. I was looking at aluminum trailers and most had spot welds holding the deck together. Aluma seems to have the best/most welds out of the aluminum trailers I looked at in Anchorage. I ultimately went with steel as i needed the 7500lb capacity

I have a older triton aluminum trailer never a problem towing about 1,200 pounds at a time, but from the sounds of it maybe I better take a better look underneath it LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    I have a steel Midsota Nova Trailer from White spruce, love it. super strong. I was looking at aluminum trailers and most had spot welds holding the deck together. Aluma seems to have the best/most welds out of the aluminum trailers I looked at in Anchorage. I ultimately went with steel as i needed the 7500lb capacity
    I have this same trailer and it has done well. While steel is heavier, if the need arises, it can be repaired a lot easier.

AK roads are rough/hard on trailers, bouncing and flexing takes its toll!
    Something to consider about steel-- almost everyone uphere on the road system has a buzz box or some sort of welder for steel and knocking on a door for help could get you back on the road. Aluminum welders are not as plentiful. Don't get me wrong I have owned a bunch of aluminum trailers and I liked them but if I have to make a repair or search out an emergency repair away from home, I vote steel all day long.

I have an Aluma 12' for my atvs and snowmachines and it has been great. I dont have the tilt and it is holding up great. Got it from White Spruce who are great to deal with. Consider where you will be taking it and if you will be pushing it around by hand. I have a 16' heavy steel tandem as well and once it sets down- that is where it stays.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I have an Aluma 12' for my atvs and snowmachines and it has been great. I dont have the tilt and it is holding up great. Got it from White Spruce who are great to deal with. Consider where you will be taking it and if you will be pushing it around by hand. I have a 16' heavy steel tandem as well and once it sets down- that is where it stays.
    Yes the alumna ones are easy to push around, the first time I was going to push my my two place around I asked for some help, but I was able to move it around no problem, all the post so far have great information, moving one around and of course if you need something welded much easier to find a welder for steel.