Thread: Valdez haibut

Default Valdez haibut

I was in Valdez for the weekend and my wife wantsed to fish for halibut. Our boat is an 18 foot Wooldridge so I am reluctant to go out very far because if the weather changed I did not to be to far out. I was wondering if there was a good place to look for halibut in the harbor area or not to far out into the arm? Also does anyone know what happened at the entrance to the harbor Saturday night around 6:00pm. A boat caught fire and then blew up I could see it from the other side of the bay.

Default Small boating at Valdez

I can't answer your question, but wanted to jump in and ask a related one. Can a 18 ft flat be used at all in Valdez? I have wanted to try for silvers, but only have a 1852 with 60 hp jet. I didn't think I could put it safely in at all, but have never been there.

Yukon,
    People can and do catch halibut in the closer bays just outside the narrows, I can't give you any specifics because I've never fished that close in but in can be done, best advice I can give you is look for a sandy bottom say 1-200 ft. deep near a deeper dropoff. I don't know if anyone actually fishes inside the port. luck

It was no trouble running around and fishing across the bay and into the narrows a ways. If it got rough it was not a fun ride back and very slow. I did see another person out there with a 12 foot boat that was quite old and it looked like a 25 hp motor. The weekend we were there it was prety calm except for the first night. A freind was also down there and we went out. It was slow going because of the size of the waves but not to bad.

Akshrop,
    Absolutely can do, my buddy used to fish with a 12' aluminum v-hull w/ 15 hp mercury, just watch the weather. Mid to end of August you ought to be able to pull basically right out of the small boat harbor take a right and start trolling. You'll never have to get too far away from land for the worst case scenario of putting it on the beach and you should be able to make it back to the harbor easily if you keep an eye on your surroundings. I'm assuming you don't have downriggers on a flatbottom so just long line some pink ladies with a flasher and hoochie (squid) behind it with a chunk of herring on it, you'll get em. luck
    pm if you have any questions

Yukon,
    You could fish bligh very easily, can run through tatitlik narrows if it's crappy out or straight to the west side if it's nice, your wooldridge is heavier than our boats, one buddy has 18' weldcraft, me and another 20' hewescraft's, all jet boats, we traditionally never fish closer than bligh.

Default Small boat fire

I saw the fire when we were coming in from a halibut charter. I heard that it was an inboard jet that didn't turn his blower on before starting the engine. Fumes ignited... This isn't official though, just a guy at the dock. By the way, the coast guard never responded to the incident...

Default Just did it, got no T shirt

Just got back from a week in valdez and used a hewescraft river runner 21'. First day we made it to Glacier Island without any difficulty You have to go out early and be heading back by noon at the latest or get ready to hold up in a bay till late evening. It was hot and sunny out so by noon the winds were kicking up bad. The flat bottom river runner beat the heck out of us. Even with the semi V nose it was unbearable. Safe,,, never had any waves scare me much but they flat beat us down every day. worst waves me and my father in law had to deal with was Im guessing high 4'ers. OK I lied a little, they scared me. We were trying to get to the otherside of Glacier, threw the berg field. when I got to the corner past potato point the waves got massive. Now massive to me a river runner and you might be different. Anyway I wussed out and headed to galena bay. You can fish Galena and Jacks bay easy. Jacks was FULL of commercial trawlers, and the narrows had them so thick you can walk across on the nets. We caught some fish out of Galena but nobody I saw was doing any good unless the went out past Bligh reef. It was out of our boats safe range. We had trouble sucking up kelp in the jet. A real pain in the butt. In my opinion pay the money and go out with a guide. With fuel costing $3.50 at the marina it wont take long. If your determined to go I got some pointers.
    1) Have the right anchor with 20' of chain and 600' of rope. We didnt and couldnt anchor good enough to hit the spots I wanted.
    2) Get a chart from the bait shop and do your home work. Use the tide chart too. They go hand in hand. I would have got skunked without them.
    3) Have your boat Coast Guard ready, I got boarded twice.
    4) DONT let your manhood overrun your skills. I learned alot of lessons and had no trouble but I heard at least 3 maydays during the week. That place will bite you if you let it.

Default worth it?

Akshrop: Here we go again.... It seems this concept comes up now and then, and you naturally get various opinions. All of that is fine and good, too. Here is mine: You can run to Hawaii in a flat-bottomed 12' boat. Sure can. I see riverboats in the ocean all the time. BUT, I don't give a fat rat's about "watch the weather" anymore. Been there, done that, and nearly bit it a few times; read Jim in Delta's report. OM me for my last near-disaster story in Cook Inlet 3 yrs ago. Etc. You can be out 3/4 of a mile, start heading in because "it is looking a bit ugly" and be in 5' waves before you can spit. The ocean is nasty and has no remorse. You can play Russian roulette all day long and win; you can have 40 sex partners and live; blah, blah. It all boils down to you having to decide what your butt is worth; a few fish? Good luck, as it is a tough call. I have a 21' RHIB now, because I've been there w/ less and ain't goin' back.