Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slow and heavy

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Mainer were your around back when Professor Murphy was moderator? He once said the only cartridge ever made on the 30-06 case that was better than the 30-06 itself was the 338-06. That was cause enough for me to build one. He was right....right there with a 338 Mag with a lot less fuss!
    I remember Murphy, always wondered what happened to him. Sure hope he's still shooting and in good health. I agree with the idea that the 338-06 is just about perfect. I do think the new Ruger 338 RCM beats it as an all around rifle though. Ballistically they might as well be twins, but the RCM is built on a short action, and unlike the fat WSMs cartridges the RCM rounds feeds like glass. With aperture sights mine weights right at 6-pounds, and really clobbers the big stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    I remember Murphy, always wondered what happened to him. Sure hope he's still shooting and in good health. I agree with the idea that the 338-06 is just about perfect. I do think the new Ruger 338 RCM beats it as an all around rifle though. Ballistically they might as well be twins, but the RCM is built on a short action, and unlike the fat WSMs cartridges the RCM rounds feeds like glass. With aperture sights mine weights right at 6-pounds, and really clobbers the big stuff.
    Missouri last i heard....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    I can’t disagree at all with what you said. I’m not a kid anymore and lighter is better. Also I am a short action fan. I have been shooting short action varmint rounds so long that I am used to the short action bolt stroke. I tried hunting coyotes with a 7mm mag a couple of years ago and kept short cycling the bolt when cycling the bolt fast. I’m a dumb creature of habit I guess. My ineptness let a couple of coyotes get away that should have died. I went back to my short action 243 and haven’t missed a lick since!

It wasn’t all that long ago.... a year or so that Jim(Murphy) came on here to say hi and to say that he would try to be more active on the forum and then nothing. I stopped by his place a few years back when on my way south to do a pig hunt. He was not there so I left him a calling card. He called me when I was another hundred miles down the road and we talked a while. He was getting ready to build a new house. That’s pretty much the last that I have heard from him. I too hope all is well with him but am suspect! Same with AD(Andy) Fields. He’s another good one that got away. He moved to Arizona and fell off the face of the earth. I miss Smitty of the North too. He is a good guy and has had some serious health issues. He and I stay in touch almost daily. Smokey has been silent too! He’s a busy dude! Right now he is now hunting the rut and running trap lines. He is in a league of his own when it comes to trapping coyotes!

I apologize for whatever went haywire in that post. This phone is about due for a flying lesson😡.

Found a savage 110 converted to 358 NM on Gunbroker. Tempted but hesitant. Better to get the 338-06 barrel I think. 338 RCM LH ruger on GB also but that's an 800+ dollar investment.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Found a savage 110 converted to 358 NM on Gunbroker. Tempted but hesitant. Better to get the 338-06 barrel I think. 338 RCM LH ruger on GB also but that's an 800+ dollar investment.
    Go with the 338 RCM, then you can sell everything else because you wont need it.

I'm real fond of the 358N. I shoot a 250gr Barnes right at 2880 or a 280gr cast at around 2100. If going for the low meat loss the 280gr at 2100 should work very well.

I have to confess that my favorite slow-and-heavy is a 45-70 with original factory loadings of a 405 grain lead bullet at around 1150 or 1200. Or is it my 50-140 Winchester with a 600 at 1100? Or one of my 375 H&H with a 300 lead at 1200? Dang.... So many to choose from. Load a heavy pill at 1100-1200 and watch what happens when it lands all the way out to 100 or so.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I have to confess that my favorite slow-and-heavy is a 45-70 with original factory loadings of a 405 grain lead bullet at around 1150 or 1200. Or is it my 50-140 Winchester with a 600 at 1100? Or one of my 375 H&H with a 300 lead at 1200? Dang.... So many to choose from. Load a heavy pill at 1100-1200 and watch what happens when it lands all the way out to 100 or so.
    I would have to agree there are a lot of big slow bullets that get er done. I've taken two grizzly with the original 405 grain load in 45/70, and couldnt have asked for deader bears. Then again the biggest bear I've ever taken was with a 495 grain pure lead bullet going 1100 FPS out of my 50 cal front loader, that was very effective too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123