Thread: Prop 1 and Outdoor Orgs.

Lightbulb Prop 1 and Outdoor Orgs.

Did anyone make it to the BHA/TU “Hunt Fish Eat Vote” event at Beach Lake last night?
    Unfortunately I couldn’t make the drive, but it’s fantastic to see the support being voiced.
    Does anyone know where RHAK stands on the Proposition?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

287 views, and no response from RHAK? Seriously?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Oops. 253 views. My bad....

Perhaps send them an email? Or text our shared friend and let him know that this thread is inquiring as to their position?

Personally, I don't see why RHAK would stake out an official position on Proposition 1. Their core mission is centered on resident hunter priority and other connected issues (access, etc.) While Prop. 1 is certainly important, it seems a bit outside the core focus of RHAK.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Perhaps send them an email? Or text our shared friend and let him know that this thread is inquiring as to their position?

Personally, I don't see why RHAK would stake out an official position on Proposition 1. Their core mission is centered on resident hunter priority and other connected issues (access, etc.) While Prop. 1 is certainly important, it seems a bit outside the core focus of RHAK.
    Oh. I forgot. Salmon don’t hang out in sheep country.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Oh. I forgot. Salmon don’t hang out in sheep country.
    Disclaimer - I'm not speaking on behalf of RHAK.

Would you expect Trout Unlimited to take a position on a proposal that banned baiting for brown bears? Yeah, me neither. It's an important issue, but not salient to their mission.

Frankly, I dislike when orgs that I am a part of get involved in issues that are beyond their stated purpose. Mission creep just dilutes the focus of an org and in some cases can weaken their voice on the issues that they generally specialize in.

Much of the rhetoric surrounding the “no on 1” folks has centered on how the prop would hinder Alaskan’s ability to access many areas that would be considered wetland, and has harped on how access would be denied under these “new and stringent “ regulations. Since RHAK is all about resident access and priority I don’t see why the org
    would not have a stance.

Would you expect Trout Unlimited to take a position on a proposal that banned baiting for brown bears? Yeah, me neither. It's an important issue, but not salient to their mission.

Frankly, I dislike when orgs that I am a part of get involved in issues that are beyond their stated purpose. Mission creep just dilutes the focus of an org and in some cases can weaken their voice on the issues that they generally specialize in.
    I know you don't speak for RHAK Brian.

I'd expect any Outdoor Org that wasn't chaired by Ted Nugent to oppose baiting brown bears. This ain't Texass, and those ain't whitetails, but that's another thread. This isn't Mission Creep as far as I can see it, Salmon and Salmon Habitat are the cornerstone of the ecosystem in a vast majority of this State, and their health and abundance should be of a primary concern to anyone who steps foot off of the pavement.

It was encouraging to see TU & BHA step forward to try and show the appeal of Prop 1, as opposed to the No-on-1 crowd who have their lips wrapped firmly around the hose of misinformation being pumped out by Exxon and their ilk.

My query as to RHAK's stance on this was more of an aside as they've been notably silent on the issue, whilst it has reverberated throughout the Outdoor Community.

Well said, agree with you Brian
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Since membership appears to be the only representation RHAK has in this discussion, I’ll simply note the ambivalence and ambiguity concerning a topic that has tangible impacts on the Alaskan Outdoors.

Sheepish bunch, that’s fo’ sho’...

Much of the rhetoric surrounding the “no on 1” folks has centered on how the prop would hinder Alaskan’s ability to access many areas that would be considered wetland, and has harped on how access would be denied under these “new and stringent “ regulations. Since RHAK is all about resident access and priority I don’t see why the org would not have a stance.
    Though, anyone with half a brain already understands that the opposition's rhetoric is patently false and therefore shouldn't need a statement from RHAK to validate such. No?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Are either of you two, hippie or Taiga, RHAK members?

Please elaborate if you could. Genuinely curious why you both called out RHAk on this topic.
    Do you two support Prop 1?
    Bk
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Though, anyone with half a brain already understands that the opposition's rhetoric is patently false and therefore shouldn't need a statement from RHAK to validate such. No?
    And those of us with whole, functioning, brains have read the wording of BM 1 and can see through the rhetoric from both sides and judge BM 1 for what it is...and it's not about salmon.
    "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post

Please elaborate if you could. Genuinely curious why you both called out RHAk on this topic.
    Bk
    Can't speak for 'Taiga, but I'm not a member of RHAK.
    I don't think I'm "calling out" RHAK, just genuinely curious as to their position on Prop 1.

As to the Prop itself, I fully support it.

Bk
    I am not an RHAK member, nor am I calling them out. On the contrary; my point was that I don't see any need for them to comment on the matter as I believe the matter is clearly understandable without any input from them.

That aside, I agree with Hippie and fully support the measure.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Thanks for clarification.
    Bk
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Thanks for clarification.
    Bk

Anytime.

I really appreciate RHAK taking the time to respond to the question.

Oh. Wait.

Disregard.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Anytime.

I really appreciate RHAK taking the time to respond to the question.

Oh. Wait.

Disregard.
    Did you call them?
    You didn't call them out here, as you told me, so why would the organization respond?
    Bk
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Did you call them?
    You didn't call them out here, as you told me, so why would the organization respond?
    Bk
    I asked a question. That’s far different than “calling them out”, and as we both know, Mark reads these boards, and 99% of the time answers questions directed at or about, the orgs he represents.

The silence on this particular Proposition, here and on their social media sites speaks pretty loudly.

Unfortunately.

I did communicate with Mark, and he told me RHAK was “taking no position”, as the issue was not considered to be relevant to the organizations mission.