Thread: Seek Outside Tipi combo

Default Seek Outside Tipi combo

Anybody out there have any experience with the Seek Outside 6 or 8 person tipi w/stove and half liner? I've been going back and forth researching several makes of "stove ready" shelters. Brands I have looked at include: Tentipi, Kifaru, Nortent, Nordisk, Arctic oven, Seek Outside, as well as several makes of canvas wall tents.

I'd primarily be using the tent in the winter, but there would be some usage in the fall during hunting season as well. So part of the time I'd be packin it in, but most of the time it'd be hauled in a sled. With that said, overall weight is a consideration of mine, but not my top priority. I'm curious to learn about the heat retention and condensation mitigation capabilities of the Seek Outside tipis, or any other silnylon tipi for that matter. I realize that canvas or a polycotton/canvas combo is more durable, and would tend to hold heat better, but they weigh considerably more than the silnylon tipis. Seek Outside offers the optional half-liner that is intended to prevent condensation from dripping onto your gear, bag, etc. But I'm wondering if I'd need 2 half liners?

What I'm mainly interested in is a make that'd fulfill the following:
    - good heat retention
    - durability
    - adequate floor space

Any info anybody has would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I have a 12 person SO tipi, with two half liners and an XL titanium stove. I did a ton of research on tipi manufacturers prior to buying mine 6 years ago. IMO Seek Outside made the best tipi for my purposes. Mine came standard with two doors, bug screen doors, and a rain flap running the length of the door zippers. Condensation can definitely be a big issue with these types of shelters simply because they can be difficult to vent very well. The fact that you have to stake these right down to the ground and coupled with the sod skirt that mine has, wind/ventilation coming in from underneath is a nonissue. Iíve never had a condensation issue when Iíve had the wood stove cranking, but it can definitely be an issue without that dry heat, and the half liners improve the living conditions considerably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, AK Troutbum. As far as the liners are concerned, it's my understanding that the 1/2 liner goes from the ground level to roughly halfway up the inside tipi wall. Does the second liner then attach to the top of the 1st liner and extend all the way to the peak, or how does that work? And have you used yours much in low temps, say 20-40 below? If so, how'd it go? Thanks again, very helpful.

So the half liners basically fit between the two doors and go from the ground up about 2/3 to 3/4 of the tipi wall. So, 2 half liners would cover everything from the ground up to about 3í or so from the peak and would not cover either of the doors. No, I have never had it in very cold temperatures. I have only used it here in South Central and on Kodiak and only once in the winter, but it was on Kodiak and it was at sea level with the temperatures only getting down into about the low 20ís at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, I get it. The "1/2" in 1/2 liner means that it'll cover half of the tipi wall, moving laterally, and not 1/2 way up, vertically speaking. As you mentioned, it goes more than halfway up the wall. That makes sense. Thanks!

I have the 8 man, 1/2 liner and woodstove.
    -8 man is perfect for 2 when using woodstove; plenty of room to bring everything inside to dry out.
    -Unless I'm going somewhere where wood is available I bring a different tent due to condensation.
    -I don't think you'll ever get much heat retention; it' warm as long as the woodstove is burning and quickly cools off after.
    -I would imagine canvas would be more durable, but at a huge weight penalty so if human hauling is involved silnylon s the answer.

So, -heat retention - probably not achievable with either.
    -durability - silnylon is VERY thin and therefore delicate.
    -adequate floor space - with wood stove I would not want more than about 3-4 people and 2 is ideal with 8man.

Andy
    Last edited by AndySinAK; 10-29-2018 at 08:19. Reason: typos