Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 40 Mile Caribou Herd

Default 40 Mile Caribou Herd

Anyone hear anything on the 40 mile heard yet? Clser to the Steese or Taylor Hiway ?

Two weeks ago they were still in the midst of the area......not much toward either Taylor or Steese......check with F&G at Tok as they are still trying to determine a population count....

Default Thanks

Thanks for the update. I called ADF&G today .well actually called the wrong number and then tried to call the front desk and couldnt get through. I will try both fairbanks and tok tomorrow and post whatever I find out from them. Does anyone know any good routes of the steese to get in far of the road with an ATV ?

BowTechs. Fairbanks F&G on the 40 mile update will tell you they will do an aireal survey a week before opener.Hope that helps.Oh! and If you check the website on past counts on harvesting of Caribou off the Steese during the fall hunt its not that high.
    I go up every fall myself to just get out just incase you never know,but I havent harvested a bou off the Steese yet in the fall,but Ill give it a go again this year,unless I tag out over in Tok or up North.Daniel

Default No updates

Well called ADF&G and they referred me straight to the hotline. Called the hotline and hasnt been updated since May. I also called TOK and got the answering machine. I really need to get a job at ADF&G. If there are any pilots viewing this thread and have flown over any updates would be great. Thanks

They are in the Yukon Charley area right now by the thousands, I have seen pictures, i have some friends working the clean-up of that fighter jet that went down out of Eielson last month, and the bou are all around them, I believe its near Merthie Mountains...tough place to get into, but easy with a UH-60.....K

Default Way In

Thanks for the info. Is that the only way into that area by air or are they getting into there by other means ?

Yes, that is the only way into that area for right now, probably heading more south towards Eagle and Chicken...k

Default The Registration

Can I Get The Registration Permit In Anchorage Or The Internet?
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Default permit

Yes you can. If you look in the regs it tells you all the places you can get it. Look under unit 20.

Default 40-Mile Bou

Bowtechshooter,
    When nthe season opens traditionally there will be pockets scattered within reach of both the Taylor and Steese. There are a few areas..the most accessable...that get a huge amount of pressure. No need to tell you the reasons why, just think about it. Now, it sounds like you (as am I) want to get away from that kind of experience. If that's the case, just think about what they'll be doing that time of year. There'll be pockets..singles, doubles and even small herds..generally in places where they can get away from the bugs. Either cool spots or windblown ridges; alpine areas. I'd pick a trail off the Taylor (AWAY FROM CHICKEN RIDGE) and just head back in a ways until you find a good lookin spot. Then glass around and find your Bou. You'll have a great time no matter whether you harvest one or not as that's a pretty spectacular area with lots of history....at least that's why I hunt there every year.

Oh, BTW...the Fall season on the taylor ends pretty quickly (usually within the first week) so get where you want to be early. And it will be warm so plan accordingly. Also...lighting does strike and sometimes there is a big herd movement across the HWY. Personnaly when that happens I shoot pictures instead of bullets. Road huntin ain't my thang.

Not sure if that helps but there ya go...good luck. If you see a relaxed friendly guy on a red Arctic Cat 4 wheeler with his 12 year old daughter on another red Arctic Cat, stop by and say Hi.

Concerning weasel's comments....is EVERY Caribou thread gonna include a wisaker comment referencing the Nelchina situation?

Default Real Post

Sal,
    I really appreciate your post. It is members like yourself that make me keep coming back to this forum. A few friends and I were actually planning to go off of the steese hiway so we can try to get away from all the people off the taylor. It does seem that they are closer to the taylor and we might not have any luck off the steese. Like you said there are poclets everywhere and you just never know where you will find them. I am not sure the areas off the steese that we could access and get in a good ways without making our own trail and if thats the case I dont have enough time for that. We still havent decided the best course of action but even if we dont see any caribou wherever we go like you said it would be a great trip no matter what and can always do some wingshooting.. Thanks again for the post sal.

Default anyone interested

that is all great info, i am looking for someone to split gas for that hunt. i am looking to head out on the ninth and start hunting on the 10th until the 14th, anyone interested?

Question Hunting partner

Crossfox,
    I'm planning on heading up there on the 8th and scouting on the 9th so that I'm ready to go on the 10th until the 13th or 14th. I wish I had more time to hunt right now, but work is busy. Unfortunately, all my usual hunting buddies have bailed on me for this hunt this year. Does that work with your schedule? Anyone else looking for a hunting partner?

Fuse

Unhappy Trails Question

On the same note, I've only worked the Chicken ridge trail up there. The maps show a trail south of Taylor mountain as either a tractor trail or a winter trail. Anyone know what I'm taking about that can provide some insight as to if it's passable this time of year or not? Thanks.

Fuse

Default trails

When I got my maps a couple weeks ago I talked to the geological person behind the desk about those trails. She said the trails that are marked winter trails are usually not passable this time of the year. They are runoffs and just nothing but muskag and are only passable in the winter once they freeze. Im not sure about the tractor trails. I hope that helps.

Unhappy Trails

I'm well aware of the winter trail issue, hence my question - since depending on the map you look at it's labeled as both I'm wondering if it's a passable "tractor trail" like Chicken Ridge or if it's a no kidding winter trail that will get me stuck in a bog. Hope that clarifies my question and someone who has tried it can give me some info. Thanks.

Fuse

Default Snowmachine

Anyone hunting the 40 mile caribou off the steese on snowmachine?? Just wondering about what areas to focus on. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
    Crossfox,
    I'm planning on heading up there on the 8th and scouting on the 9th so that I'm ready to go on the 10th until the 13th or 14th. I wish I had more time to hunt right now, but work is busy. Unfortunately, all my usual hunting buddies have bailed on me for this hunt this year. Does that work with your schedule? Anyone else looking for a hunting partner?

Fuse
    I'll be up there too. I'm registering the kids for school and rollin' right after that. I'm taking my 15 year old as I couldn't find a partner either (the boy was hesitant as he doesn't have much riding experience). Say hi if you see us on the trail, we'll be rollin' two 1984 Honda Big Red's-no joke!

Tim

Well If ya'll see two fellas riding little ol Kawasaki's heyt that would be me say howdy! My brother is flying up the 6th and we head to Seward for a charter on the 10th,the 11th we'll be off laoding everything here in Fairbanks,and Then we head out the the next day in a blue 2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel with a freaking old as heck cab over.Stop on by and say howdy If ya'll see us about.Daniel oh! and we have to be in Valdez on the 20th for another charter,then I head up to the slope for a bou If I did not tag one over in Chicken.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast