Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brittany Spaniel

Quote Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
    Not sure I follow what claims I have made about any specific breed here. All I have said about any breeds are all breeds have their strengths and weaknesses, I'm a sucker for pudelpointers, Brits are great dogs, and that the few French Brits I've seen personally have been incredible dogs. Not sure where I held out that any one breed was a Ferrari, but more so used that analogy to respond to 4merguide's line of comments.

As for the head size/pheasant retrieval, while I think I understand and want/could agree with your point, I have to say that the French Brits I've seen hunt (which is admittedly a small sample size of only 3) I have watched all three retrieve wounded pheasants or flightless pheasants during a hunt or test with no hard mouthing or difficulty. One of them I watched retrieve a good sized Canada goose like a champ! I have been more impressed with each of the three French Brits I've watched hunt than any of the American Brits I've seen, but I don't claim to know enough to say generally that one is superior to the other. Besides, as I don't have any intention of having any of the Brits myself I don't really care to jump into that particular dog fight! Like I said, I'm a sucker for the pudelpointer, and while I wouldn't call PPs a Ferrari, I would probably assert that they are along the lines of the Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG 6x6 in the hunting dog world. Plenty of comfort for the family while still going anywhere doing anything!
    I would settle for Mercedes-Benz status for any of my dogs. My shorthair just turned two years old. He has Mercedes potential but not quite there yet. He has had another 30 pheasants killed over him already this year and were only getting started. I apologies for being hard on the French Brittany. My sampling has only been 4 of them and three of the 4 owners most likely ruined the dog. The 4th one just need more time in the field. I have never hunted with a Pudelpointer, in fact I don't know of anyone around here that does. However until a couple of years ago no one around here had Drahthaars or Kurzhaars. Now we have one of each. The Drahthaar is fabulous on upland birds and waterfowl. She was the runt of the litter and is 54 lbs full grown but this weekend she killed a 30 pound bore raccoon that decided to fight rather than run. I was astonished that this petite female that the night before was snuggling with me on the couch was now this ravaging beast that was owning this big bore coon. I was going to try and break it up but putting yourself in the middle of that fight isn't for the faint of heart. She dominated the coon from the start so I let it go. It is a requirement for their breed test so she might as well know how. My Kurzhaar is just 13 weeks old so she is still chasing quail around the yard but she has shown that she has some fire. From what I have read about the Pudelpointers they are much the same, very versatile and determined. For that matter I haven't seen many bad bird dogs that come to us via Germany.

It's all good. DDs are great dogs for sure, and we have a lot of folks in our NAVHDA chapter that run them. PPs tend to have a little less edge from my research/experience than DDs, which is nice around the family/house but is so slight it doesn't make a big difference to me in the field. But still, I'm not surprised by that raccoon outcome and I would wager my 50lbs female PP would produce a very similar result.

Dogs are fun, and training them is a huge part of that to me. Can't wait to start up this 6 week obedience course with our AK-Yukon NAVHDA Chapter starting tomorrow.

The Drahthaar is a real terror when it comes to stray cats that wander onto the farm. What scares me is that we are getting more and more Bob Cats all the time. They are showing up in farm yards and on trail cameras frequently. I hope that we stay clear of them.....that wouldn't go so well.

My Shorthair is the big ole block headed Moesgaard variety. He can run a coyote down, knock it off it's feet and hold it there until we catch up to dispatch. He learned that one on his own. I agree....dogs are fun. My dogs mean everything to me. I even buy chicken hindquarters, boil them and mix them with rice during hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I even buy chicken hindquarters, boil them and mix them with rice during hunting season.
    Good for you! They need that extra during hunting season.

On another note...Ö.boy do I miss hunting pheasants...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

If your DD is anything like the ones I know, I wouldn't worry about the bobcats too much

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Good for you! They need that extra during hunting season.

On another note...Ö.boy do I miss hunting pheasants...!!!
    After bird hunting yesterday I went and talked to a couple of farmers about hunting permission. Then as I was driving down the drive of the last farm house I thought dang, I'm hungry. Those two pieces of toast at 5:30 in the morning happened a long time ago. Knowing that my wife was doing something with her lady friends I swung through Hardees. I ordered two of those Big Chicken Fillet sandwiches. One with all the crap that they normally put on them and one plain. Roy had his gone before we got out the driveway and then was eyeballing mine........

I logged 18.6 miles on my FitBit on Saturday, Sunday and Monday....I even took time out to go to church. I bet Roy wishes he had a FitBit! For every 50 feet I walk he makes 2 passes back and forth across in front of 5 guys scattered over 50 yards.

We have encountered so many raccoons this year that he is now a multi-purpose dog. For some reason the coons seem more aggressive than normal. If they try to run away then we call the dogs off and let them go. However if they stand to fight then their day isn't going to end well. My son is coming to bow hunt the rut for the next few days so last night after our Hardees snack Roy and I went to the woods to check on a couple of stands to make sure that they were safe and that the critters hadn't chewed through the straps. I was carrying my big Maglight flashlight as we walked along through the brush when Roy opened on a coon sent. A short 30 yards latter he was baying on a tree just like a coon hound. My light showed two sets of eyes in that big Hackberry tree. I said out loud, "Roy, Roy, Roy what am I going to do with you.....we are not hunting pheasant by day and coon by night!" "I'm just too old for that nonsense!"

If you ever get to Iowa get ahold of me and we will go kill some birds!

hunting upland birds across the world for 55 years ... alaska since 1994. Outlived my labs, shorthairs, setters, and springer. Have a brittany four last 4 years ( they dropped the spaniel name when the DNA was source back to setters ... not spaniels.) Grace is the best pointing hunter and family dog i have ever had. period. end of story. Bought her from breeder in Wasilla. If Grace represents the breed ( i think so ... but she IS my first Brit) ... she is exactly what you're looking for. My two cent view (8->}Attachment 96988Attachment 96989

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12