Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brittany Spaniel

Default Brittany Spaniel

So Iíve convinced my wife that I need a four legged hunting partner. After some research Iíve decided the Brittany spaniel fits what I want (although I am willing to look at other breeds upon recommendation). Does anyone know of any good breeders locally? I would obviously like some good hunting genes along with a family friendly pup. My wifeís stipulation is that it has the darker tone of brown and it is a female, but I think I could convince her on whichever I want when she gets a puppy in her hands. I did find a couple local breeders, but the waiting list is kind of long. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

-Matt

If you decide to step over to the Lab side I have AKC chocolate pups that will be ready by Thanksgiving.
    Either way you are right once they get that puppy in their hands and look into those puppy dog eyes they are hooked. I've been hooked for 30 years now.
    What ever you decide on you will be happy.
    Enjoy!!!

Steve

I grew up hunting with Brittany spaniels. They are great bird dogs with a gentle heart.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

We love labs but Iím looking more towards a breed that will point and whatnot. Iíll be the first to admit I know little to nothing on hunting dogs so if a lab could fill that position I may be willing to look more in that direction. I am looking for a long time companion for our family adventures and I know they are great for that. Thanks for the input and I welcome more!

I think u and the wife would like one of these.

Large Munsterlanders. Disposition of a golden retriever, points, retrieves, flushes, good w kids and family, smart. Great bird and duck dog but also can companion hunt for bear, caribou, coyote, wolf etc.
    Breeder in Cantwell, Ak and he gives training clinics every spring to tune you and the dog up to birds.
    I dare you to do some research into this breed. Yes Iím biased but I also grew up a golden retriever guy. Glad I tried this breed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

If you're on Facebook, check out the Alaska-Yukon NAVHDA page. We've got a few members that run Brittany's, and a lot of other versatile pointing breeds. I'm a sucker for my breed (pudelpointer) but each one has it's strengths and weaknesses. Having had a pointing lab before, and I truly them thought she was an incredible bird dog, I can now state that if you want a pointer do not be tempted by a lab. There are many versatile breeds that are excellent pointers and retrievers. We are always happy to show off or dogs and talk with people who are interested.

If your in Anchorage I'd be happy to meet up and show you why I am a pudelpointer convert.

Contact Jim McCann. He runs Britts and is the author of "Upland Hunting in Alaska." He is a forum member so PM him. He is a great guy, with tons of knowledge.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Grew up with Britts have hunted the last 6 years in South Dakota with French Britts they are a much better hunting dog the standard Britt.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
    If you're on Facebook, check out the Alaska-Yukon NAVHDA page. We've got a few members that run Brittany's, and a lot of other versatile pointing breeds. I'm a sucker for my breed (pudelpointer) but each one has it's strengths and weaknesses. Having had a pointing lab before, and I truly them thought she was an incredible bird dog, I can now state that if you want a pointer do not be tempted by a lab. There are many versatile breeds that are excellent pointers and retrievers. We are always happy to show off or dogs and talk with people who are interested.

If your in Anchorage I'd be happy to meet up and show you why I am a pudelpointer convert.
    I had a pointing Chessie. Great thing about that is she'd point pheasants or swim in ice water all day for ducks and geese....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Grew up with Britts have hunted the last 6 years in South Dakota with French Britts they are a much better hunting dog the standard Britt.
    How so? You would think that as far as actual "hunting" goes, that would totally depend on the individual dog. You gonna tell me that even the worst French brit is a better hunter than the best standard brit? I don't think so....

Based on a lot of years around 15 or 20 Standard Britts, and 6 years of hunting around 3 French Britts. Just my opinion the French Brit is a better hunter on average think the breed line has not bred out the clean hunting lines. We had a few very good hunting standard Britts and a lot of culls!

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Based on a lot of years around 15 or 20 Standard Britts, and 6 years of hunting around 3 French Britts. Just my opinion the French Brit is a better hunter on average think the breed line has not bred out the clean hunting lines. We had a few very good hunting standard Britts and a lot of culls!
    "On average".....ok, that I can agree with. But to say they're "ALL" better is just too far out there.....imo. I still stick to, as far as "good hunters" go, it's all based on the individual dog....smarts, temperament, training, etc...all play a part in the end result. Just because you have a pup from champion bloodlines on both sides, doesn't necessarily mean your pup is going to be an excellent hunter. A da*n good chance?....Yes. A guarantee?....Nope. I hunted with a chocolate lab/chessie mix that was probably the best hunting dog I've ever seen. Right up there with my champion bloodline chessie. Meaning, even a mutt can hunt like crazy if given the right circumstances. Pedigrees don't mean squat if that dog don't hunt....capishe?

I think Iím still leaning towards the springer spaniel at this point. My last 2 pups were 75+ Lbs, and my wife would like something a bit smaller if possible. Thanks for all the info!

It sounds like a Brittany will fit the bill. Small pointing dog being the criteria that I see. If you had a maximum size there may be other breeds that could work as well. If you are a duck hunter, you may want a darker dog from a breed that also prioritizes waterfowl hunting traits. If you are strictly upland hunting, the white coloration will help you see your dog from farther out. Get a dog from a breeder that hunts, regardless of what breed you end up with. Good luck in your search!

Living in the midwest I have hunted fezunts(yeah I know "THEY" spelled it wrong) my whole life. I have always hunted German Shorthair Pointers, however I am 100% convinced that any bird dog of any flavor that comes from a good bloodline has as much potential as the next. The guy behind the dog has more to do with it than the dog. The two best do it all dogs that I have hunted with in 40 years were neither one German Shorthair. One is Calhoun's Musterlander and the other my son's Deutsch Drahthaar. They both are 100% finished at either upland game birds or waterfowl. My shorthair Roy isn't far behind these two on upland birds and he is only two. I have never introduced him to duck hunting and that's hardly his fault.

In a nut shell there are way more bad trainers than trainees when it comes to bird dogs. You only get out of them in accordance to what you put into them and that is across the board on all breeds. Invest the time into any bird dog and you will be proud as heck when it all comes together in the field!

I hunt Shorthairs because after 40 years I pretty much understand their temperament. I have a new jet black 10 week old German Shorthair that I am training now. Technically she is Deutsch Kurzhaar from Germany by way of Canada. Everything about her is GSP except she is black. I could throw away my TV and never miss it with Roy and Cora around! Both names...Roy and "Crazy" Cora are courtesy of "Quigley Down Under".

Aside from the obvious points of sourcing a dog from good stock and then putting in the work, all I'm going to say is you can have a solid performing Toyota Camry that is excellent at the performance parameters it was designed to do but it will never match the performance of a well built Ferrari. Sure, any moron can buy a Ferrari but that doesn't mean they can handle it as it was intended to be driven, and some drivers can do things with a Camry that would shock you. Those outliers do not define the average expectation for those vehicles though. Same thing with dog breeds. Yep, the handler has a massive role in developing the dog to perform to the best of its genetic capacity, but the right breeding and the proper breed will still be better suited for certain tasks than the best breeding and a breed not designed for that task almost every time.

Brits are great dogs, and my limited experience with French Brits has shown me only incredible little dogs with crazy drive and passion to hunt. My offer still stands if you'd like to try to meet up sometime, I'd be happy to show off my 50lbs, non-shedding, pudelpointer goofball Ava. Our chapter of NAVHDA is also hosting a 6 week obedience course in Chugiak on Wednesday evenings starting next week. Anybody who is wanting to learn more about versatile hunting dogs and dog training in general should drop by. There will likely be many breeds in the class including Large Munsterlander, Small Munsterlander, American Brittany, French Brittany, PP, DD, GWP, GSP, WVZ, WPG, and VZ. And if you want to learn more about that alphabet soup group, come on by! Shoot me a message if your interested and I can get you more info.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
    Aside from the obvious points of sourcing a dog from good stock and then putting in the work, all I'm going to say is you can have a solid performing Toyota Camry that is excellent at the performance parameters it was designed to do but it will never match the performance of a well built Ferrari. Sure, any moron can buy a Ferrari but that doesn't mean they can handle it as it was intended to be driven, and some drivers can do things with a Camry that would shock you. Those outliers do not define the average expectation for those vehicles though. Same thing with dog breeds. Yep, the handler has a massive role in developing the dog to perform to the best of its genetic capacity, but the right breeding and the proper breed will still be better suited for certain tasks than the best breeding and a breed not designed for that task almost every time.

Brits are great dogs, and my limited experience with French Brits has shown me only incredible little dogs with crazy drive and passion to hunt. My offer still stands if you'd like to try to meet up sometime, I'd be happy to show off my 50lbs, non-shedding, pudelpointer goofball Ava. Our chapter of NAVHDA is also hosting a 6 week obedience course in Chugiak on Wednesday evenings starting next week. Anybody who is wanting to learn more about versatile hunting dogs and dog training in general should drop by. There will likely be many breeds in the class including Large Munsterlander, Small Munsterlander, American Brittany, French Brittany, PP, DD, GWP, GSP, WVZ, WPG, and VZ. And if you want to learn more about that alphabet soup group, come on by! Shoot me a message if your interested and I can get you more info.
    And for a million years every breeder of every breed has considered his pups the Ferrariís of the hunting dog world and will make the same claims as you just have about their breed! I hunted with a $1500 French Brittany yesterday that was nothing more than a boot licker. It was a smart dog with a dumb owner! Hunts that I have been on have accounted for the demise of thousands of different upland birds and I have pretty much seen it all in regards to bird dogs and masters. Dogs are like people, some are just smarter than others. Some breeders line breed too tightly and end up with a litter of pups that has two or three super smart ones and a couple of very dumb ones. They simply cull the dumb ones and destroy them! The AKC doesnít care! I have seen pedigrees that came back from the AKC that are appalling! Granddad of the sire and father of the dam are the same dog! I would not waste my time on a pup from that litter yet they are AKC approved.

Your spot on in matching the breed to the specific purpose for that dog! Here in the Midwest we hunt pheasant and quail for the most part. It takes a dog with a fairly good sized head to retrieve a not so dead rooster pheasant without hard mouthing it. The smaller breeds are fine on quail but lag behind when it comes to retrieving pheasants! A large American Brittany has no problem. The smaller ones donít fair so weíll!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    And for a million years every breeder of every breed has considered his pups the Ferrariís of the hunting dog world and will make the same claims as you just have about their breed!
    Not sure I follow what claims I have made about any specific breed here. All I have said about any breeds are all breeds have their strengths and weaknesses, I'm a sucker for pudelpointers, Brits are great dogs, and that the few French Brits I've seen personally have been incredible dogs. Not sure where I held out that any one breed was a Ferrari, but more so used that analogy to respond to 4merguide's line of comments.

As for the head size/pheasant retrieval, while I think I understand and want/could agree with your point, I have to say that the French Brits I've seen hunt (which is admittedly a small sample size of only 3) I have watched all three retrieve wounded pheasants or flightless pheasants during a hunt or test with no hard mouthing or difficulty. One of them I watched retrieve a good sized Canada goose like a champ! I have been more impressed with each of the three French Brits I've watched hunt than any of the American Brits I've seen, but I don't claim to know enough to say generally that one is superior to the other. Besides, as I don't have any intention of having any of the Brits myself I don't really care to jump into that particular dog fight! Like I said, I'm a sucker for the pudelpointer, and while I wouldn't call PPs a Ferrari, I would probably assert that they are along the lines of the Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG 6x6 in the hunting dog world. Plenty of comfort for the family while still going anywhere doing anything!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast