Thread: What Octane you use in your 4-Stroke?

Default What Octane you use in your 4-Stroke?

Just curious what Octane you other 4-stroke owners are using in your motors?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

cheap stuff, but i'll watch this thread close, and could change if needed...

Cool 114 Race gas

Like any other "normal" 4 stroke engine in the world...87 Octane will do the trick.
    Or use 91 if you want to make the oil sheiks more money.

I've always just used 87 in mine but the dealer said I am supposed to run the mid grade 88.5..........

Was curious if anyone actually did.

Not sure what mines rated at, but I've just run 87. The lower the octane, the higher the energy content of the fuel. It's just that higher compression engines need higher octane to prevent detonation. So long as you don't here your engine pinging, you have enough octane. Also considering o/b's are run in other countries in the world, and ones that don't always have high quality fuel. I'm also thinking the 4-strokes with electronic fuel injection and ecm controlled engines likely have nock sensors and will retard the timing if there is a problem with the fuel.

When you're burning 20 or 30 gallons to take the boat at, the cheaper the fuel the better!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    When you're burning 20 or 30 gallons to take the boat at, the cheaper the fuel the better!
    Man if it was only 20 or 30 gallons I'd be ecstatic. A typical day in PWS is 75-85 gallons. Seward and Homer are only 20-35 gallons tho . . . but I do like the water and the weather out of PWS better . .

SH

I lost a 150 RPM last two times out and got my gas somewhere I normally don't and am wondering if maybe I just got some low octane fuel..... Going to try it again this weekend.

Derrick

Gasoline's Octane rating is the ability to resist detonation (pinging). That is it. It doesn't have more or less energy than regular gas.

Whatever is at the pump here in the villages, 87 max. Tried some 100 avgas in one of my snowmachines at one time, won't mind trying that again. Oh yeah, I did on my outboard a few years ago, smooth running.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    Whatever is at the pump here in the villages, 87 max. Tried some 100 avgas in one of my snowmachines at one time, won't mind trying that again. Oh yeah, I did on my outboard a few years ago, smooth running.
    During the winter I run 50/50 Avgas to regular mix. I ran the Avgas in my Johnson once when I put the jet on, didn't run any better or worse, but it sure smelled good.

100 LL AvGas

Default I use the cheap stuff too.

I have never had a problem. I also believe the ownwers manuals says to. I also have not used the ring cleaner preventer stuff either. Once you do you have to use it every tank. Spendy stuff.

Did you buy your gas a Fred Meyer? I hear they have bad gas. My co-worker took his truck in for a usual tune up. He needed a new injector or two on his 5 year old truck or so. The mechanic said, "let me guess you buy your gas at Fred Meyer." He commutes every day from Eagle river and fills up at the FM out there. The mechanic claimed they see it all the time in the vehicles they work on they have it narrowed to FM. Just curious if that is where you got it from.

Sierra Hotel, what motor are you running? Sure hate to the day I buy a bigger boat. I have atleast a 250 mile range and would only burn 63 gallons max, all I carry.

I bought the last two tanks at the Tesoro on Huffman. Usually gas up at Carrs right there.

I'll be out again Saturday hoping the problem was just a fluke. Going to change my plugs.

Default E 3

Try the E3 plugs you might like them.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamokaiman View Post
    Try the E3 plugs you might like them.
    Thanks for the info