Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a mentor

Default Looking for a mentor

Iím finally thinking Iím gonna move on starting studying my ground school
    And stepping towards my ppl. With long term plans.

What I need is someone whose up on this stuff that I can just fire off an occasional text to with questions on processes, proceeding, direction so to speak. Kinda what do I need to do next, which direction should I head etc. just someone to help guide me forward and answer my dumb ignorant questions.
    Looking at kings ground school study material, is taking my ground all I need before getting a cfi and starting flight training? Can I log away time with cfi that counts before my ground school? How many hours do I need to operate as a part 91? Why are some cubs 80k and another 180k, whatís an annual cost, where do I look for insurance, blah blah. Typical newbie questions.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I can't answer all of your questions, but as to ground school before flying, you can start flying right away. You need to pass your FAA written exam and have a valid medical certificate before soloing, but you can start logging hours with an instructor as soon as you'd like. You might as well get going on the ground school/self study, though, as once you start flying you should fly as often as possible. It's best to fly multiple times a week during the process so as to stay sharp/learn quickly. If you do so, you'll be flying solo in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Iím finally thinking Iím gonna move on starting studying my ground school

What I need is someone whose up on this stuff that I can just fire off an occasional text to with questions on processes, proceeding, direction so to speak. Kinda what do I need to do next, which direction should I head etc. just someone to help guide me forward and answer my dumb ignorant questions.
    Looking at kings ground school study material, is taking my ground all I need before getting a cfi and starting flight training? Can I log away time with cfi that counts before my ground school? How many hours do I need to operate as a part 91? Why are some cubs 80k and another 180k, whatís an annual cost, where do I look for insurance, blah blah. Typical newbie questions.
    King Schools is the best in my opinion. Donít kill yourself trying to get 100% on the written. Pass the thing and ride on.

You need 40 hours to take the private check ride. I donít remember how much is dual and how much is solo. Been way too long. Get set up for your medical exam, make sure to quietly search out any disqualifying health conditions you might have or medications you might take before the physical. Once the official physical starts everything goes on record.

$80K will get you a Cub in decent shape if youíre patient. $180K will get you a real fresh one. No rhyme nor reason for why they are so expensive other than cult following. Do your homework and consider experimental if youíre not planning to do commercial work with it down the road. Best advice there is donít get a case of AIDS...Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome.

Good luck with your endeavor. It is lots of fun.

The King course is boring, and patched together, BUT it is geared specifically towards the written test. Also go find a copy of the latest ACS, for private. ( Airman Certification Standards) The FAR --AIM will give you info on the hour requirements and so on...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

So...
    Ground school written+Medical+Cfi 40 hours+Check ride = PPL?
    The plan is to fly for my business maybe, but more to have a back up plan for work when my hips go out or RHAK gets all their wishes granted and I no longer have a job.

Iíve eyeballed a lot of options for a plane, 170b/sportsmanís/Bushwheels/big prop/ or a scout, or a....but dang. Nothing does what a cub does
    Of course a 15k champ sipping car gas is kinda attractive for what it is as well. A log book with wings.
    Master guide 212

So...
    Ground school written+Medical+Cfi 40 hours+Check ride = PPL?.
    Yep, basically. 20 hours dual, 20 hours solo along with some specific details regarding cross-country and night flight time.

Is there specific places to get your medical done? Iím assuming itís not like my medical for my cell?
    Master guide 212

Is there specific places to get your medical done? Iím assuming itís not like my medical for my cell?
    You will need a Flight Doctor, get the flight physical first. Without a medical any money spent will just be wasted. The type of flying I believe you are interested in is ADVANCED level operation and will require a great amount of both money and time.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Default Looking for a mentor

Yeah, only certain doctorís offices perform the flight physicals. Itís really simple - just a drug test, blood pressure, eyesight and such. I recently used Aviation Medical Services out by Anchorage International and they were good, but any place that does FAA physicals should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    ...... will require a great amount of both money and time.
    If it was cheap and quick thereíd be no need for more pilots. I hear it all the time lots of money, bad way to make a living, Risky investment. Crud. Thatís what Iíve been doing for the last 20 years. I donít live in Alaska to work a 9-5. I live here because
    Itís special, with special opportunities for people who are willing to go get them. Itís all a risk and it all takes an investment. Maybe it wonít work out. Maybe I canít pull it off but Iíd kick myself for not at least trying.
    Master guide 212

The place down by the Airport is a good outfit for medicals in the Anchorage area. It is nice to have folks who are pretty much devoted to aviation medicine. Thus they have a desire to plug you into the system so they have you as a repeat customer. The local guy here who can do FAA physicals could care less if you pass and does not seem to like airplanes.

I used to go see an old guy up in Kenai, so he had no idea about any of my local Doctor visits. But he is darn near 100 now and finally retired. So I will have to fly up to Lake Hood strip for my next medical and buy somebody here on this site a nice lunch to pick me up.

Do not get caught up in buying the perfect bush plane as your first aircraft. I know lots of folks, and have had many students, who stalled out on their training because they over-spent on their aircraft and could not afford to fly it enough..... OR... because they were not the best tail-wheel pilots and they stalled out on their training after they scared the crap out of themselves. ( or me) or damaged their plane....

There is nothing wrong with finding an old $30,000 C-172 and flying the crap out of it. You can actually get someplace since they are pretty fast, they are easy to work on, and keep flying, they have room inside, and the old straight tail 172s can land and take off a lot shorter than many people think with a good pilot. A 172 will make it into ANY village strip in Alaska and lots of beaches.
    PLUS::::: The insurance on an old 172 is very cheap. Nosewheel + Lots of parts available keep the premiums down.

One of my students ( who is now a commercial hauler) started with an old Square Tail 172 with fairly big tires and nose fork. He flew all over the state in that thing. When we would go clam digging across the inlet or go down to Kodiak, I would take off in my PA-11 Cub about 15 minutes ahead of him and he would soon pass me like I was tied to a log. I was doing 70-80 mph and he was going 110-115. A couple hour flight later, he would be done digging clams and was still waiting for me to show up.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I appreciate that info on buying a plane. Thatís obviously a huge question. Iíve seen a few chiefs for 15k with a lot of life left in them and 170bís that would fit another person AND fuel that have interested me. But the gas sipping time builders is very appealing as Iíd actually be able to keep it in the air and thus keep writing in my log book.
    Master guide 212

Jake,
    Aviation is addicting. I bought a Cessna 150 last October to complete my license (still in the process). Very cheap and economical. King Schools worked for me, just passed my written two weeks ago with an 87. If your out in the Valley, hit me up. Plane is tied down at Wolf Lake. Iíd rent the plane to you for a cheap price if you can find an instructor. Let me know.

Jason
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Don't do it. Next thing you know you will be buying Kuiu gear. Oh wait that already happened. There is no one right way to go about attaining your license. Once you start get it done. There is no cheap way to get your license. Once you get your license then the real expenses start. AV gas is the cheapest insurance and best modification for any pilot. The forum is a good place to ask questions. The answers can be useful. I too am at Wolf Lake and can help with any questions if needed. For commercial purposes getting your commercial ticket is required too and commercial insurance. In your line of work though can help allot and make a big difference.

Brown Bear. Just a word of advice for you. To save you time and money try looking at getting your ppl in Arizona. I got mine there about 20 years ago. It cost me $3,000 back then and I completed my 40 hours, ground school, written test, oral test, and flight test all within 3 weeks. The company I used was called Sheble's Aviation in Bullhead City Arizona/Nevada. Once you get your ppl, then come back up here and get some tail wheel training from a cfi in Anchorage. I got mine from Anchorage and I think it took me about 10 hours of flying to get my tailwheel endorsement. I only have about 170 hours and I quit flying about 16 years ago. It got too expensive for me after I got married and started having kids. It's a lot of fun though. There are very few past times I enjoy as much as hunting and fishing. But flying is one of them. Expensive hobby though.

I’m finally thinking I’m gonna move on starting studying my ground school

Looking at kings ground school study material, is taking my ground all I need before getting a cfi and starting flight training? Can I log away time with cfi that counts before my ground school? How many hours do I need to operate as a part 91? Why are some cubs 80k and another 180k, what’s an annual cost, where do I look for insurance, blah blah. Typical newbie questions.

I am in SC, and started my training earlier this year. Going a bit slow at the moment. I got my medical first, then started flying with CFI. Took FAA ground test much later..probably had 20 hours in before taking it. You can do it anytime, just has to be done before you finish. It expires in 2 years, so I took it later than I would have so I don't have an issue with it expiring before I get everything else in. Your CFI can probably guide you with how to proceed and answer any questions (dumb or otherwise). PPL requires minimum 40 hours. 20 has to be Dual, 10 solo..the rest can be whatever combination of those that is needed to get you ready for checkride. I have heard that national average to take PPL checkride is about 56 hours overall. I have heard great things about the King Ground School material, but I bought a Private Pilot Kit from Gleim Aviation. I believe it is much cheaper and gives you more than enough material to study and pass. The Practice Exam Prep from Gleim is exactly like the FAA test. Many of the questions in the study material is verbatim from the FAA test I took.
    The questions about annuals, Cub costs, and insurance I cannot answer since I do not have a plane. I joined a flying club to get cheaper rental rates...saves me about 40 bucks per flight hour.
    I'd assume you will have a hard time getting much flying time during the winter up there (although I don't know squat about the weather there first-hand). I plan on coming up there to pursue flying jobs in the future, but wanted to get my PPL, IFR and possibly Commercial down here first.
    Good luck with your training.

The good stuff's been said above: just a few additional comments:

- Get your medical first: that will determine the path forward
    - Just for grins, probably a good idea to determine your ultimate end goal (PPL or Comm ticket): this will help identify some degree of what to expect for training costs, etc.
    - If you can have a few hours in the air before ground training, it might help some of the ground instruction to not be so strange;
    - My cheapest annual (on a PA-12) was $250....but we won't talk about the multi-zero plus comma cost of the rebuild the year prior Have had multiple annual's in the $1500 - $4500 range, but I always use annual time to make any significant repairs/changes as needed.
    - As noted by FloatPilot, don't chase the perfect bush plane: buy something you can afford and fit into (at 6'-4" and 250, both reasons I have a -12 instead of an -18) and fly it until you can fly better than the plane: I can't fly as good as the -12 will yet. Get a Chief and fly it until you can outfly it, then get a cub; get a 170 and fly it until you can outfly it, then get a 185, etc, etc
    - I think it's safe to say that insurance runs $3k - $6k annually depending on hours, experience, hull value insured, etc. Seems to be significant reductions based on recent training and when one hits certain hour threshholds (i.e. 1000 hours, 3000 hours, etc).
    Back in AK

BRWNBR,

Remember there are needs vs wants. Define your mission like pa12drvr stated. Do you want to be on floats? Do you want to use it for your guiding or do you want a family wagon? No shame in getting a nice cheap (relative term) 182 and building time and Alaska time to start. Do you have a place to go? A big part of Alaska flying is knowing what to do with your aircraft once you get where you are going. How to tie it down and protect it. It is a large investment for most. You are a big time Alaska guide so probably just chump change for you. Also where to store the aircraft locally. Hangers are nice, but is that a need vs a want. Your best solution is to get your wife to fly and be your pilot. She can drop you and the client off then you can call her for a pick up when you need. Then you don't have to worry about the aircraft while hunting.

Well I sat down with the wife and laid out my whole plan/timeline/budget/anything I could foresee this entailing. Got a resounding. Uh. No. Once she realized I was gonna have to be gone more to build time before we could use the plane the idea got nixed. So close. Crap. Gonna have to revisit once I get about four of the kids outa the house. Thanks for your help guys, appears to be a false alarm
    Upside is I learned a lot. I can see this being doable if I could carve out the time to work on it!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yeah, only certain doctorís offices perform the flight physicals. Itís really simple - just a drug test, blood pressure, eyesight and such. I recently used Aviation Medical Services out by Anchorage International and they were good, but any place that does FAA physicals should be fine.
    When did they start doing that? My 3rd class expired a long time ago but I don't remember a drug test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast