Thread: Espar Error Code

Default Espar Error Code

About ready to toss my espar into the ocean..(grin)

I have the easy start select. I get the err when I try to kick on the heater. Anyone know how to pull the code from the easy start? Customer service has been frustrating to say the least. Wish I had gone with another heater.
    Alaska Wide Open Charters
    www.alaskawideopen.com
    907-965-0130

What are the symptoms?

I did a quick internet search for the espar easy start as I'm not familiar with that. I have the D4 Espar with digicontrol. The internet says the easy start has a scroll function where you can read and clear error/fault codes. What code are you getting?

The manual https://esparparts.com/techsupport/p...05_EN_0613.pdf

is not much help - with an error code it says to visit your vehicle shop......***?

I have the dijicontrol and it shows the code. Any symptoms? Was it smoking during startup or running? General maintenance is pretty easy just be gentle with the glow plug. And run mostly kerosene to keep it cleaner inside. Sorry not much help.....

If you could provide some symptoms I think we can get you an answer. The first two years of my espar I wanted to through it in the drink as well. Come to find out I have water in my fuel that was getting in via the Fuel cap because the fuel cap O ring that went around the cap threads was not big enough to make a soft/squeezing connection between the cap and my gunwale. After a new fuel pump, new heater, and tracing electrical current through the whole system it ended up being water.

I have a site glass fuel filter between the tank and the heater fuel pump and once I found where that was it was obvious that it was just a thin film of diesel sitting on top of a whole filter of water. When the boat would get on step it would suck up water and flame out. Basically, the heater ran great on the level (trailer or sitting on anchor) but I could not keep it running while moving. Drained the whole tank, put fresh diesel in, got the right size fuel cap O ring and have never had another hick-up.

My Espar is 4 years old and digital controller says 2275 hours; had to take it out one time for a gasket and that's it. Once in a blue moon I'll run kerosene but mostly fuel oil from the fuel dock. I do tend to run it mostly at 80 deg on the thermostat as the wheelhouse door is mostly open or cracked. Love the thing but I've now installed 6 other heaters (5 Planars and 1 Espar) and I'd go with the Planar for the cost savings.
    I don't have a fuel water separator for mine just a small inline filter; think a small Racor setup would be ideal.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    About ready to toss my espar into the ocean..(grin)

I have the easy start select. I get the err when I try to kick on the heater. Anyone know how to pull the code from the easy start? Customer service has been frustrating to say the least. Wish I had gone with another heater.
    I sent you a pm with a phone # for local (anchorage) espar service.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

I have the software and cables to connect to and diagnose your heater. I also have the spares to bench and service it. Polar Marine is manufacturer authorized by Eberspacher...a quick web search will get you in contact...
    PolarMarine.net

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    My Espar is 4 years old and digital controller says 2275 hours; had to take it out one time for a gasket and that's it. Once in a blue moon I'll run kerosene but mostly fuel oil from the fuel dock. I do tend to run it mostly at 80 deg on the thermostat as the wheelhouse door is mostly open or cracked. Love the thing but I've now installed 6 other heaters (5 Planars and 1 Espar) and I'd go with the Planar for the cost savings.
    I don't have a fuel water separator for mine just a small inline filter; think a small Racor setup would be ideal.
    I just put a couple of these on Craigslist. Could they work in lieu of a racor set up? They don't cost nearly as much and I' think they'd last a long time in a lower volume scenario like a heater.
    Attached Images Attached Images