Thread: Muzzleloader field day

Default Muzzleloader field day

Who here has recently done the field day? If so what different shooting positions did you all do? Also how far did you all shoot? And last question how many times did you shoot?

Don't have a clue what they're doing today. But back in the day (way back!) when I did it, you could shoot from any position including prone, 3 shots into 6" at 50 yards. Walk in the park for anyone who's used open sights before.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Thanks for the reply.. one fella I ran into said when he did it you had to use the muzzleloader they provided. My field day is on the 27th so I will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    ...had to use the muzzleloader they provided.
    Same for me, though that was a long time ago. They were stainless inlines, as I recall from Knight. Lots of powder and bullets/balls to try before the shooting test. You picked and chose which combo you wanted to shoot. All old news if they've changed anything in the meantime.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Same for me, though that was a long time ago. They were stainless inlines, as I recall from Knight. Lots of powder and bullets/balls to try before the shooting test. You picked and chose which combo you wanted to shoot. All old news if they've changed anything in the meantime.
    That was pretty much my experience when I did it about three years ago. I can't remember how many shots we did but doesn't seem like it was a huge amount. Everyone shot offhand and everyone qualified. My shooting wasn't as good as I thought it should have been, noticed later that the rear sight on the rifle I was using was wobbly. I don't know if that was the direct cause of my inaccuracy but I'll take it.
    Louis Knapp

Now you bring your own muzzleloader, maybe the instructors bring there just in case the students have issues with there's. Like I said will report back after I do mine.

Field day for what?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's the shooting portion of the quals for muzzleloading certification, just as you have to shoot to qualify for the archery certification.
    Merle Haggard

If you take the full day course they provide the weapons and ammunition. If you take the on line course and then go to the field day, you provide your own weapon and ammunition. In both cases you get to practice a bit, then shoot for qual using any position you choose including prone (bring something to lay on). Scoring is by group size, not where on the bulls eye your group lands. Pretty easy if you are at all familiar with shooting.

Thanks for the info! If weather not bad in the morning will go shoot again.

Got an email today, detailing what we need and what too expect.

*No loads with over 100 grains of propellant are allowed to be fired*

After a short classroom session, you will be doing the proficiency shoot outdoors, so please dress for the weather. The proficiency shoot requires you to put at least 4 out of 5 shots in a 8” bullseye at a distance of 50 yards from a standing, kneeling, or sitting position. No external rests are allowed. If you fail any part of the course, you will be required to repeat the a field day in order to be certified.

That sounds a little more rational than what we did way back when. For us it was 3 shots in a 6" group without regard for the bull. Not to polish my own feathers (not too much anyway!) I shot their gun enough to find a load it liked, then did all my shooting offhand and used a 6 o'clock hold even though that put the group slightly below the bull. They fussed a little, but I pointed out that it was all about group size and they said in the beginning they didn't all have to be in the bull. One of the teachers confided that they did it because they didn't want to go to the trouble of keeping ninety-leven of their own guns sighted in. Maybe they still do it that way in sessions for their own guns. I prefer what you're describing, especially for folks shooting their own guns. It's an easy way to confirm that an individual's gun is actually sighted in.

The feather polishing? My offhand group of three shots was just under 2 inches!
    Merle Haggard

Interesting. Every thing evolves I guess. The past two times I took it ( me and Kid) they had a 8" circle cut out that had to go around the group ( 4 of 5). No mention of powder limit or position.

I took it twice this summer as the first time were totally different rules then the second time I took it. The first time it was in the center bull with 4 out of 5 within the 8 ring then the second time it was 4 out of 5 in an 8" circle regardless of where it was on the paper. About 3 out of the 9 taking the class the first time passed with the weird rules that were set up. Sticks were allowed but no one brought any since we didn't know they were allowed. Only kneeling and offhand shooting positions were allowed-no prone. The second time we had different instructors and about 10 out of 11 passed with the rules that were presented in the post above that was emailed. I guess it depends on who the instructor is although F&G should be following their own rules and make sure their instructors do the same.

Believe we met at the field day today and chatted a bit, good talking to ya. Fairly empty class considering the draw apps start in a few days. Was interesting as far as the shot distance went, originally was going to be 25yd in 4" bullseye than went to 50yds at 8" bullseye and no shooting sticks allowed. Seems to be a free for all as far as testing procedures go. They let a bit slide...everyone passed...even with my lack of shooting the muzzy lately still managed to pass lol

Yep good bsing with you as well... intersting day for sure for the qualification. Overall good day, me and my other bud busting our buddy balls over him buying that cheap muzzleloader..