Thread: Low-time gigs out of Juneau?

Default Low-time gigs out of Juneau?

Hey all, long time lurker here,

I am newly minted ~260 TT CSEL/MEL holder, instrument current, hoping to have my CFI ride done by the end of the month. Currently living in Anchorage and my wife recently received a promotion opportunity from her company for a position in Juneau. Are there anytime low-time jobs down there? A Google search only revealed one school, (which seems like just a guy with a 172, no website). I wasn't expecting a plethora of CFI jobs there (for reasons Im sure which all of you understand) but hoping there was at least one mainstream operation I might be able to hitch onto. CFI jobs aside, low-time 135 stuff? Alaska Seaplanes seems like it would be fun, challenging job but I am not sure if they'd take someone as inexperienced as myself. I am willing to gas up planes and toss dock lines if it means getting a foot in the door.

Any insight is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    MM

There is Wings Airway, ,,used to be a place called Wards . And a couple other outfits, besides Temsco helicopter. Some places do things like haul out gear and rafts facseperate flights. Play up your Navy Issue strong back and weak mind, Juneau and all of South East AK is boating and ship friendly. So anyplace where those two overlap is a door for and old sailor. You might think about taking the aircraft dispatcher course this winter. You might need to start at the office and build flight time hauling boxes, and kayaks. South East is like a different state. They are cut off from the rest of AK and many folks have been to Seattle 50 times and never have been to Anchorage. Juneau is loaded with government workers, politicians and wannabe politicians. All of whom think they are special.. The working stiffs who live there have to put up with those Yahoo's all the time.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Using a small tablet. Cannot figure out how to fix typos.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Certainly a good time to be getting into aviation. The most job openings and best pay for entry level pilot jobs I've ever seen. Just don't forget that there's a lot of clouds with rock in them down there.
    Louis Knapp

Default Low-time gigs out of Juneau?

Alaska Seaplanes is the larger operator out of the Juneau area. Wings Airways is summertime cruise ship passengers only, Wings of AK is no longer, Ward Air is a top-notch floatplane operation. There are a zillion CFIís in Juneau, and none of them really give much instruction. There was one fellow doing some a couple of years ago, I havenít seen him in a long time though.

I would talk to AK Seaplanes. They were using all turbines for pax and 207ís for freight. Not sure if that will continue throughout the Winter but it seems like a reasonable way to build a cadre of good pilots.

You need to get to 135 VFR minimums before you can work for just about anyone down there.
    You can right seat for 135IFR ops, though I'm not aware of anyone who flies 135IFR in PAJN that needs two pilots aside from the medevac lears. They might hire you for that(companies are desperate), but you'd be putting the guy in the left seat in the position of pretty much flying it by himself, as your brain would still be in the hangar when the plane landed in Seattle.