Thread: Eklutna tailrace

Default Eklutna tailrace

So, what's with the Eklutna tailrace? Passed by there for the first time this weekend. What's fishing like there and when? Thanks

Ship is slow, and it's the same fish. I'd guess that the tailrace is slow right now, but haven't heard from anyone fishing it.

Stopped by Eklutna tonight for an hour or so. Nothing going on when I was there. Some people said a few had been caught earlier.

I was there Saturday and it sucked. A bunch of red kings rolling around but that was it. However, Little Su is banging. Went Saturday and today and pulled silvers and reds out of there.

Default Tailrace fishing

I've always done best there EARLY in the morning for silvers. Haven't been there this season, but did well last year at the mouth w/orange #4 vibrax spinners. Have seen silvers caught there also on eggs.

I've seen kings caught there but haven't had any luck myself.

The area's easily accessible with good parking. Lots of families fish there.

Default What to use

What kind of bait is best for Silvers? Does herring work good? I was thinking of going out there this weekend to try to see if I can caught anything.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan4300 View Post
    What kind of bait is best for Silvers? Does herring work good? I was thinking of going out there this weekend to try to see if I can caught anything.

Thanks,
    Nathan
    My personal favorite:
    Eggs below a bobber. Tie an egg loop, one small splitshot 8 inches above the eggs, and drifted right above the bottom of the river. Cast up and drift through. This won't work in shoulder to shoulder fishing though, not enough room to drift through.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Is the Little Su still good? Looking for some silvers or Reds to take home to WI. Have to leave on the 6th. What bait, vibrex or pixies or yarn. Not many silvers in Bird Creek yet. Info please. Our rental car will not get us into Jim Creek where went last yr.

I took three of my kids there this morning. We had about ten bites and caught two fish. I did not have any bites. My Seven year old caught one and my six year old caught the other. We were there from 5:30 to 9:30 A.M.

My four year old had the most bites but could not seem to hook one.

I like to use a lil corky and shrimp for bait on a 3/0 hook. (91-110 count shrimp). Normally I use cooked shrimp but today I used raw shrimp.

Default Little Su

Quote Originally Posted by fishergirl View Post
    Is the Little Su still good? Looking for some silvers or Reds to take home to WI. Have to leave on the 6th. What bait, vibrex or pixies or yarn. Not many silvers in Bird Creek yet. Info please. Our rental car will not get us into Jim Creek where went last yr.
    The little su will only get better. Bait opens up in August, what date I don't know, but it's the first part of August I believe, someone know?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Little Su Bait

I am pretty sure it is August 6.

August 6th is when it opens for bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    August 6th is when it opens for bait.
    My wife and I will be there for "Mad Monday". How bad will it be?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Default trailrace

We were there today, Sat. No one had caught any before we got there and the time we were there about 11:00 to 1:00 there were no fish caught. Tryed both areas. No luck.

any one been out to the trailraces recently? I haven't seen any reports yet.

Well I fished there last night 2 of us fished for 2.5 hours caught 1 small silver.