Thread: Bow Hunting Tips for Beginners

Default Bow Hunting Tips for Beginners

The article on this site 10 Best Bow Hunting Tips for Beginners is a really nice one.
    Bow hunting depends on many things such as individual ability, the target animal, bow strength, bow length, arrow, terrain, weather, etc and all of this things are clearly elaborate on this article.
    Bow lovers and also beginners are hopefully helpful in this article.

Just try to help my friends...
    Adam Howard

Learn how to blood trail.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I would add that if you are having a shooting issue, "Only change one thing at a time to correct the issue." IF you change two or more you don't know which change was the correct one, or if it was the combination of the two that corrected the problem.

Also, practice for real hunting situations if possible. Wear the clothing you plan on hunting in. Shoot animal targets. Use broadheads if possible. Practice up hill, down hill, kneeling... As real as possible.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I would add that if you are having a shooting issue, "Only change one thing at a time to correct the issue." IF you change two or more you don't know which change was the correct one, or if it was the combination of the two that corrected the problem.

Also, practice for real hunting situations if possible. Wear the clothing you plan on hunting in. Shoot animal targets. Use broadheads if possible. Practice up hill, down hill, kneeling... As real as possible.
    Good advice.
    Shooting at 3D targets setup at unknown distances. Walk around and choose a sight pin before you check the distance with a range finder. Change the angle of the shot, etc.

I would say my number one tip is that for your first hunt, make sure you go with an experienced archer who know what to do after you let that arrow fly. Someone that can teach you how to now relax and wait if need be. How to track. Etc., etc..
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I would say my number one tip is that for your first hunt, make sure you go with an experienced archer who know what to do after you let that arrow fly. Someone that can teach you how to now relax and wait if need be. How to track. Etc., etc..
    I have coached plenty of people for archery and firearms. It amazes me the number of people that go out hunting and have no clue how to track wounded game. The first thing I usually have to jump them about is for getting in front of the tracker. Don't disturb my trail. Most people couldn't begin to tell you exactly where they last laid eyes on their fleeing animal or where it was when the shot was taken. Those are the very first concepts new hunter should learn.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by adamhoward View Post
    The article on this site 10 Best Bow Hunting Tips for Beginners is a really nice one.
    Bow hunting depends on many things such as individual ability, the target animal, bow strength, bow length, arrow, terrain, weather, etc and all of this things are clearly elaborate on this article.
    Bow lovers and also beginners are hopefully helpful in this article.

Just try to help my friends...

I informally help-out numerous "beginners" at different ranges. Here are some thoughts:

1. Don't "macho" your bow draw weight. Many young guys set up their bows at draw weights they have trouble handling.
    2. Shoot often but shoot less. Meaning, don't shoot at one sitting too much. Five 20 arrow sessions are better than one 100 arrow session.
    3. Don't buy inferior equipment because of price. Save your money and buy the good stuff!
    4. Buy small balloons and substitute them for paper targets. Will keep your interest more than the paper targets. Particularly if the wind is blowing.
    5. Avoid sight pin clutter. A few pins or, maybe a single pin sight is better.
    6. Try out different releases. Beware of super light trigger releases.
    7. Buy a few super quality arrows not lots of cheap arrows. Cheap arrows fly erratically and will confuse you.
    8. If you buy a used bow, make sure you take a very experience trusted person with you. There are a lot of damaged bows sold at bargain prices.
    9. Know your effective range. Meaning, where you can hit a small paper plate EVERY TIME regardless of conditions.
    10. Avoid the I can "Robin Hood" my arrows at a 20 yard range BS. It does not generalize to the hunting field.
    11. Other........

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post

Or use traditional equipment, stick and a string, the only thing that will need adjusting in the shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    Or use traditional equipment, stick and a string, the only thing that will need adjusting in the shooter
    And that's not entirely true either, if you want to shoot well anyhow.

What do you guys do for scent control?

Quote Originally Posted by sheepcrazy View Post

Since spot and stalk is 99% of my hunting, just watch the wind and crawl a lot....knee pads really help....

. Honestly, nothing. My breath smells bad enough that I doubt doing anything with my clothes would help.

My biggest advice I can offer to any archer is that you cannot buy accuracy. Endlessly chasing new bows, new arrows, new broadheads, new sights etc.. will not help if you don't practice. Buy solid equipment the first time around, take care of it, and enjoys the $$ savings. This advice is coming from a guy that chased all those things in both bowhunting and target shooting.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

All clothes get washed in Scent Shield 2-3 times per week. Base layers get changed daily. Every evening returning to the truck I spray everything again with Scent Shield. Spray again in the morning before heading to the stand. We carry pee bottles, so after going we spray again and the bottle goes into a zip lock bag. If the apples are ripe I'll step on a couple going to my stand. This is for whitetails on my propertyin NY. I bow hunt about 2 months a year there.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012