Thread: duck calling

Default duck calling

Anyone can recommend how to learn to call ducks? Right now when I try to call it sounds like a dying duck. Lucky for me the mojo has brought the ducks to me without calling.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default listen listen listen

One thing that you can do is listen to them and see how birds on the water react to birds in the air. Then the next step is to get a duck call for beginners. Don't go buy a $150 duck call if you are not experienced. I still use an illusion duck call and I love it, works GREAT, and it is cheap. IT also comes with a CD to help learn how to call better. It has done wonders for my calling.

I have listen to the ducks and have tried a caller that came with a audio tape. Did not work. How long does it take tell you start to get the hang of it?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default it takes time

keep practicing and have someone listen to it so you know how it really sounds. Sometimes hearing it yourself it does not sound right. I use to practice all the time in my truck when I lived in the lower 48. I would practice everyday as I drove to and from the jobsite.

Thanks. I will give that a try.. Do you prefer the audio tape or the dvd to learn to call?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default audio CD

I learned from the audio CD that comes with the illusion call. One of these years I will move up to a "supposedly better" call, but for now this one works great.

Default calling

Fisherman hit the nail on the head....it never sounds right when you hear yourself calling. It never sounds right when I called and I was always worried about not sounding right until I had someone tell me that I sounded like a duck. Calling is not that hard but does take time to get the right call mastered. I am by no means a master but using the correct call at the right time is also key. You cant use a hail call when the ducks are setting their wings if you know what I mean. I also keep calls in my truck and practice on my way to work and whenever I get a chance. If you keep calls in your vehicle and see ducks on the water somewhere or flying around just give a little blow on the call and see what their reaction is. another key is to practice, listen, practice , listen and just get out there and have a good time. It also helps if you have someone else with you so you sound like more than one duck..there are many easy calls out there for beginners, I take a 3 in 1 call with me for any freinds that come along ( mainly to haul the decoys) that has a simple whistle in it and tell them when I start calling to blow on that call once in a while and it works and it makes them feel like they are doing their part. I also use mojo's and it really makes a big difference on ducks that are call shy. You really dont have to make a huge effort calling on close birds. Like I said I am not an expert or master by any means but feel free to PM me with any questions. Thanks, good luck and remember Quack Kills...

I learned to call from my dad and uncle over 20 years ago and watching them was the best way for me.
    If I was to instruct someone I would tell them to get a good single reed call to start with and a dvd. Single reeds are tougher to play, but if you just use a double reed you never truly learn how to play. They take very little back-pressure and muffiling.
    You must know how to hold the call, hence the dvd, proper hand placement, back-pressure and then practice practice practice.
    Good luck you only have a month!!!

Post The fine art of duck calling....

I agree with MCAT, if you can master the single reed then you can lick the double reed. As stated numerous posts prior to mine, practice-practice-practice. I'd be sitting at stop lights in town calling and look over at folks just staring at me (it was great). Lot's of time in the garage as well as the wife couldn't take it. Master the basic quack first and then work your way up from there. Even a subtle lonesome hen call will spark interest. Being able to call ducks will significantly alter your hunting experience I assure you. You'll never forget the first time you turn a flight of ducks your direction and then have them cup right into your deke's. It's a beautiful thing.

Can't wait for the opener!

Good Luck.

Its all about calling from your diaphram - Takes practice, Try making different shapes and stiffness' with your lips, and just practice blowing through it differently till you get the desired tone...

Somthing I did that that works very well.

Is to force air throuhg the call, by saying "Qwith" with your tounge, your tounge should move from the floor to the roof of your mouth in one single motion forcing air out rapidly, producing a nice quack - You can play with it from there....

Try it and let me know if it works

I have RNT 3 CD set and they really helped out. However, I am still better at the feed chuckle than any other call. Also, some calls just sound like crap until you learn to tune them, and in the process of learning to tune them you may end up never tuning them. This is why I don't use the low end cheap calls too much. I can't get them to do anything that doesn't sound like a dieing rabbit.

To listen to birds go to the eastern part of Westcester Lagoon off of Spenard. You will hear lots of quacks and some feed chuckles. You can also hear some of the drake noise.

Sounds like enough help to me . Unless you can find someone to teach you.

Default Calls

I have Iverson calls that I have used for years then for some reason I found/bought a little Faulks call. Just your basic single reed cheapie.
    that thing really BLOWS! I love it. It calls quiet or loud, and rolls easy for a feeding chuckle.
    The Iverson is tougher to roll, and has a big barrel. I also have a newer acrylic double reed that is giving me fits on a feeding chuckle.
    Remember that your calling, or each individual sound is a sound all by itself. It has a distinctive start and stop. Just like Q-----K or H---t or H-----K. I hear to many guys trying to make a Whoooooooo or Whaaaaa with a duck call. Doesn't bother me unless they are one of my partners and flaring birds. Then I invite them to put it away or sit on it, their choice.
    Start your calling simple. Single quacks, quiet or loud. Short sweet double quacks, like a saucy suzie scolding something. One at a time and build. When you sound like a duck then go on to greets and meets and hails.
    If you want, call me on the phone and you can blow in my ear. Usually that is reserved for the wife, but I do make exceptions

Ive been trying to teach myself to quack on a call and I sound either sick or a dying something or another.IMHO Ive learned to call by listening to someone else.So until I find someone to learn me to quack on a duck call instead of me screamign thru it Im stuck pond jumping and stalking them.
    You know maybe we can trade calling lessons on here.I'll teach someone to predator calling if ya teach me to duck call? Anyone......Anyone.....Bueller....Bueller.... Daniel

Default Daniel, give me a call

I sent you a pm with my contact info. Maybe I can help, maybe you can help me. Time is short before sheep season, but a few minutes here and there might be just the ticket.
    For anybody else, here is another opportunity to share our sporting interest. Might be a hoot to get together prior to September and do some blowing.

go to potters marsh and sit and listen
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Howdy everyone, I moved up here a little less than a year ago from Kalifornia (please don't hold that against me,) but waterfowl hunting is what I love to do.
    Like others have said, it takes practice and determination. Know the words to say like into the call like "Whack" or "Ticka Ticka Ticka." Hold the call in your mouth like a coke bottle and don't worry about the hand placement, except just to hold it to your mouth without blocking the hole.
    some of my most effective calling is with a pintail whistle or the wigeon whistle where you may not be able to imitate a gadwall, spoony, or hen mallard, but you sound like teal, wigeon, pintail, and drake mallards. Most of which hang around eachother and I've seen them mixed together fairly often. Good luck and don't give up.

Default calling

Like the other guy said, about the best CD's you can get our the Rnt set. And get a poly single reid call such as the RnT quackhead brands or the Zink poly Power Hen. And practice every chance you can. Its not as hard as people think it is.