Thread: question

Default question

Has anyone ever bow hunted the game management area in Fairbanks, and if so any tips?

Call fish and game and speak with the bio person and have them send you some maps and info on the area.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default dm788

I drew the tag two years ago. I hunted Chena Lakes State park. They have an archery only area within the park. Only deal though is you have to carry anything out you get and gut piles have to be 50 yards off of a trail. It is doable though. I had a 5 yard shot at a bull.... which you can not take if you have the permit. I also had a 30 yard shot at a cow but too much brush to make it ethical for me.

Trying a different area this year as a friend moved up there and has scouted it for me. He also has a guest cottage for me to use. I think the North Pole area has the best potiiential and the most back roads. The pipeline is also there and you can hunt a long that. If you have a canoe, paddling the Chena might work too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default fmu

There are a lot of options for hunting the FMU. The biggest problem we have though is people complaining to AK ST Troopers about tresspassers. Also, some of the boundaries are a bit vague, so be sure to sit down at F&G and go over a map and topo so you don't get into a problem.
    Like anyplace, there are traditional hot spots. Along with those hot spots tend to come a bit more pressure. Most of the folks are ethical and fair, but I have witnessed the sprints to the animals. I have never seen one be successful though.
    Creamers field is a large area, and if you are patient and willing to get further off the trails there are usually a few moose to see. The same goes for the south side off Farmers loop, down in the lowlands.
    Don't forget there are 2 hunts, one in september and the other in november. There are good chances during both openings if you are willing to work hard. I do see a lot of people just driving the roads, so find a likely spot and go for a walk.

Thumbs up Yup....

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    There are a lot of options for hunting the FMU. The biggest problem we have though is people complaining to AK ST Troopers about tresspassers. Also, some of the boundaries are a bit vague, so be sure to sit down at F&G and go over a map and topo so you don't get into a problem.
    Like anyplace, there are traditional hot spots. Along with those hot spots tend to come a bit more pressure. Most of the folks are ethical and fair, but I have witnessed the sprints to the animals. I have never seen one be successful though.
    Creamers field is a large area, and if you are patient and willing to get further off the trails there are usually a few moose to see. The same goes for the south side off Farmers loop, down in the lowlands.
    Don't forget there are 2 hunts, one in september and the other in november. There are good chances during both openings if you are willing to work hard. I do see a lot of people just driving the roads, so find a likely spot and go for a walk.
    good advice, escpecially about the trespassing part. I've killed I think 5 now in the FMU..it can be a fun hunt but it's what you make of it. If you have cow permit my advice would be to drive the roads around the outskirts of town until you find one where you don't have to trespass, doesn't have a calf and it can ethically be taken and won't die somewhere that can pose a problem. I've killed all my bulls in the FMU in the same manner...I've never walked around. You just have to think about WHERE you shoot your moose and WHERE it's going to die...ie: not on someone's property in both cases.

I've had my best sucess in the early morning versus in the late afternoon, seems to be more movement then for sure, espcially on cold crisp mornings. The most I've seen was 20 different moose in one morning driving the roads...they're there....you just have to be PERSISTANT and little lucky as well.

Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions and good luck!

Default FMU Hunt

Thanks for your replies