Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: "WHICH" 10MM Handgun..........???

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have no idea of what I would expect in bear country. My thought and it could be flawed is that a single stack magazine would be enough. Would it be possible to get off 16 rounds in a bear defense situation? I figure if the first half dozen didn't hit their mark then I was probably going to be turned to fertilizer anyway!
    Well at least if your out hunting with 10-12 friends, you can take out a lot more knee caps as you run off.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Yup 7 grandsons....= lots of PaPa purchased firearms and ammunition. I was going to retire this year but decided to give it one more year so we can be well equipped for years to come!

I have no idea of what I would expect in bear country. My thought and it could be flawed is that a single stack magazine would be enough. Would it be possible to get off 16 rounds in a bear defense situation? I figure if the first half dozen didn't hit their mark then I was probably going to be turned to fertilizer anyway!
    You probably wouldn't get off more than 2 or 3 shots, unless you were able to shove the gun in your hand down his mouth and throat... which gives you a great excuse to two 1911's, one for hunting and one for protection.

Todd sprayed the bear initially, then tried but could not reach the shoulder holstered gun while it was mauling him. At the second attack, he had no time to use either the spray or gun and during the attack, the holster and gun were separated from him out of reach.

I got my grandson a Red Ryder BB gun for his 3rd birthday. Grandpa had to help him cock it.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Just chiming in to show some love for the Glock 29. I have a .44 mag revolver as well as a Glock 20 gen 4, both of which get carried in a chest rig, depending on circumstances and location. But I love the Glock 29 for a great balance of size and performance--it's just big enough that I shoot it well without feeling cramped, and small enough that I can carry it unobtrusively. On trails and such in semi-populated areas around Anchorage I prefer not to open carry a chest rig--nothing wrong with it, I just prefer to be a little more low key--and the 29 works well in various CC holsters, fanny packs, and jacket pockets if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Forager View Post
    Just chiming in to show some love for the Glock 29. I have a .44 mag revolver as well as a Glock 20 gen 4, both of which get carried in a chest rig, depending on circumstances and location. But I love the Glock 29 for a great balance of size and performance--it's just big enough that I shoot it well without feeling cramped, and small enough that I can carry it unobtrusively. On trails and such in semi-populated areas around Anchorage I prefer not to open carry a chest rig--nothing wrong with it, I just prefer to be a little more low key--and the 29 works well in various CC holsters, fanny packs, and jacket pockets if need be.
    And I love your avatar. “Harmonica” in Once upon a time in the west! “ looks like we are short one horse!” Harmonica, “Nope, ya brought two to many!”

As far as single stack or double stack, pick the one that fits your hand the best and points naturally the best. If it doesn't point in fast and properly, find another gun.

And I love your avatar. “Harmonica” in Once upon a time in the west! “ looks like we are short one horse!” Harmonica, “Nope, ya brought two to many!”
    Best movie ever, with some truly great lines.

Huh, I thought seriously about acquiring a .500 Smith because everyone knows God is on the side of the guy/gal with the biggest bullet. But it didn't feel good in my hand. Single actions make absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. So I bought a well-used Desert Eagle with the hook-shaped safety levers. Bought a Diamond D chest holster with cover flap and extra mag carrier. Eight rounds of 50-caliber love. When I get out to where I will cut wood, I take the safety off and put it back in the holster with the flap un-snapped.
    I have to wear earplugs with the saws, which gives me the creeps sometimes because I know when I am being watched, but if I need that first shot, I sure hope I'll have the time to get it. Probability is I won't, but if I deceive myself often enough, I come to feel some bit of comfort.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Huh, I thought seriously about acquiring a .500 Smith because everyone knows God is on the side of the guy/gal with the biggest bullet. But it didn't feel good in my hand. Single actions make absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. So I bought a well-used Desert Eagle with the hook-shaped safety levers. Bought a Diamond D chest holster with cover flap and extra mag carrier. Eight rounds of 50-caliber love. When I get out to where I will cut wood, I take the safety off and put it back in the holster with the flap un-snapped.
    I have to wear earplugs with the saws, which gives me the creeps sometimes because I know when I am being watched, but if I need that first shot, I sure hope I'll have the time to get it. Probability is I won't, but if I deceive myself often enough, I come to feel some bit of comfort.
    Maybe you need a wood cutting buddy of the yapping dog variety. I take one wood cutting cuz he’s my buddy but he isn’t going to let anything walk up on me unannounced. Which in my case would be something more along the lines of a whacked out meth head!

I've wondered before also while running a saw with my ear muffs on about something sneaking up on me. Then I think about every time I have put a stalk on a bear and how much you have to keep the wind in check and quiet. If they will come in to a stinky noisy saw, I might have to change my stalking technique!

Personally, I've never heard of a bear going after somebody with a chainsaw running in their hands. A bear that would I think would pretty much have to be starving to death. Now a rutting moose?.....that's a different story.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Looked at Springfield XDM 10 MM 5.25" at 3 Bears like the feel of it and Grip Safety, but never fired one.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/p...xdm-5-25-10mm/

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Personally, I've never heard of a bear going after somebody with a chainsaw running in their hands. A bear that would I think would pretty much have to be starving to death. Now a rutting moose?.....that's a different story.
    If the snow has any delay in melting, pretty soon there will be a thread about what size chainsaw it takes to deter a brown bear! LOL. I have cut hundreds of trees on my property and have many more to cut, and to be honest, when the saw is running I am paying more attention to the saw and what I am cutting than scanning for bears. When the saw is off and when I am wandering to get to the trees, hammer strap is off the chest holster- when it is running I am just not too concerned about bears. I have heard some crazy stories about moose though- as you mention. Especially with people splitting wood.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    If the snow has any delay in melting, pretty soon there will be a thread about what size chainsaw it takes to deter a brown bear!

Ha! You had me laughin' out loud for sure with that one!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I have cut hundreds of trees on my property and have many more to cut, and to be honest, when the saw is running I am paying more attention to the saw and what I am cutting than scanning for bears.
    You and me both brother.... I know very well what can happen extremely fast with a chain saw. When in my early 20s I had to have a few stitches in my knee from a big HomeLite that got away from me. Doc said I was very lucky that I wouldn't be walking with a limp for the rest of my life. Yeah, that was close!

It's funny though....cause when I first moved up here 36 years ago, my 44 went everywhere with me.....even wood cuttin'. But slowly over the years I started leaving the pistol at home more and more. I guess I finally figured out that there wasn't a bear behind every tree ready to make a meal out of me. Oh sh*t....now look at what you made me do! Probably jinxed myself bigtime now...!!! …..lol

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Looked at Springfield XDM 10 MM 5.25" at 3 Bears like the feel of it and Grip Safety, but never fired one.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/p...xdm-5-25-10mm/
    Boy I'd like to have one! I just don't know which pistol I'd end up taking out in the woods with me.....that, or my Redhawk 45 colt? 15+1 in a pretty bad ass slug is pretty impressive though!

My land neighbor sent me a picture one day while he was operating an excavator...a blackie was sitting just off the clearing sitting down just watching him. Not looking for trouble-just watching. Pretty funny actually. When we were hiking at Halo Bay looking to see the 'bear maze" Treadwell wrote about we had a supercub start circling overhead real low for a bit. Later when we got to the boat, turns out there were bears behind us on the same trail we never saw and the pilot was trying to scare them off. That was the strangest place I have ever tromped through and the trails were so old the shale is worn down a few inches. No gun would have made me feel safe in there because of the density of the brush and the bears. Funny thing is that I wasn't carrying more than a camp knife because of the law forbidding firearms. The boat captain/guide who took me and my wife there had a can of bear spray and that is it.....sure glad we didn't need it. Saw beautiful bears and had a bear try to climb on a boulder we were sitting on and then he lay down at the base and ate grass for 45 minutes within 5 -15 yards from us. Had a great trip and adventure and memories for a lifetime during our time there.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567