Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: "WHICH" 10MM Handgun..........???

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfoot View Post
    No it isn't. You bring your PUNY 10mm and put it against my .44 shooting 330 grain Hammerheads and you will see your PUNY 10mm look like a water pistol.....and anyone carrying a Glock with a chambered round through heavy brush with most holsters is asking for an unintentional discharge....revolvers are safer in the brush and hit HARDER....

I have more than one Glock but, they don't go into the bear woods with me.....
    I sold all my 44ís. I wasnít impressed. I shot 310 gr 1150 FPS hammerheads, why when the gun went off the pistol flew over my shoulder and killed 2 poor cubs I didnít even know were there, hahaha.

Even sold my 44 marlin SS since it didnít match my pistols anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Buffalo Bore makes a nice hardcast 'low recoil' .44 mag round that shoots very nicely out of the 3" barrel 629 I carry most of the time when working on my property (it is just plain nice sized in a chest rig). Ballistics are still adequate but the control is definitely great. I like to shoot double action so getting back on target quickly is important to me. Garret hammerheads were what I shot out of a Super Redhawk and they were very impressive. I love wheelguns, but I certainly see the validity is someone carrying a Glock (or similar) auto that is the same basic size and function of their daily carry gun simply for familiarity. I carry a G22 in town, and I would feel comfortable carrying a G20 for critter protection (not ideal but doable). The new laser that sits flush on the shockwave is my next purchase- pumpguns were my first after a break barrel, so operating a pump is second nature.
    Davidson's carried a Lew Horton special 3" 629 with unfluted cylinders MANY years ago which was WAY AHEAD of its time. Is that what you have? If it is, you probably had it Magnaported (no muzzle brakes around then). I too shoot the 330 Hammerheads and they are QUITE IMPRESSIVE..actually, my gun sounds like a German 88 when it goes off.....

The Shockwave family is expanding. Don't like the over-the-top Magpul magazine models coming out....

Davidson's carried a Lew Horton special 3" 629 with unfluted cylinders MANY years ago which was WAY AHEAD of its time. Is that what you have? If it is, you probably had it Magnaported (no muzzle brakes around then). I too shoot the 330 Hammerheads and they are QUITE IMPRESSIVE..actually, my gun sounds like a German 88 when it goes off.....

The Shockwave family is expanding. Don't like the over-the-top Magpul magazine models coming out....
    Mine is a TALO that I picked up from another forum member years ago. I have always been a fan of 5" S&W 29's but this short barreled gun in a Dimond D chest rig is just my favorite when fishing, using a chainsaw, or just about anything on the property. It just never gets in the way and you forget the weight easily. Super compact, well balanced, smooth as silk in single or double action, and is plenty accurate if I do my part.

I still have and enjoy the other models, but that is my 'go to' woods gun. I carried a 4" 500 for a while and enjoyed shooting it, but found it just cumbersome even in the chest rigs when doing chores, so found excuses not to carry it. Of course not having a gun with you is when you will need it, so I just decided to go with something I enjoy carrying and know is strapped to me when venturing. There are times I head out with no gun when I am doing things at the place, but if my wife is with me- I am always armed. I can accept with making poor decisions that affect me, but not my loved ones.

The 12 g 590 Shockwave is a nicely balanced gun and it is very easy to pack it in my over the shoulder scabbard. When we were hiking along checking out some new property along a river after a rainfall this summer and found fresh moose bones, it was nice to have it in my hands and I am glad I didn't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Mine is a TALO that I picked up from another forum member years ago. I have always been a fan of 5" S&W 29's but this short barreled gun in a Dimond D chest rig is just my favorite when fishing, using a chainsaw, or just about anything on the property. It just never gets in the way and you forget the weight easily. Super compact, well balanced, smooth as silk in single or double action, and is plenty accurate if I do my part.

I still have and enjoy the other models, but that is my 'go to' woods gun. I carried a 4" 500 for a while and enjoyed shooting it, but found it just cumbersome even in the chest rigs when doing chores, so found excuses not to carry it. Of course not having a gun with you is when you will need it, so I just decided to go with something I enjoy carrying and know is strapped to me when venturing. There are times I head out with no gun when I am doing things at the place, but if my wife is with me- I am always armed. I can accept with making poor decisions that affect me, but not my loved ones.

The 12 g 590 Shockwave is a nicely balanced gun and it is very easy to pack it in my over the shoulder scabbard. When we were hiking along checking out some new property along a river after a rainfall this summer and found fresh moose bones, it was nice to have it in my hands and I am glad I didn't need it.
    I bought a Shockwave the moment they came out (later, of course, they made them in stainless/marine models...darn it!)...the reason is that while bowhunting, a shockwave in a shoulder scabbard makes me feel a lot better.....they are also great "tent guns"....

I bought a Shockwave the moment they came out (later, of course, they made them in stainless/marine models...darn it!)...the reason is that while bowhunting, a shockwave in a shoulder scabbard makes me feel a lot better.....they are also great "tent guns"....
    I had to look up the Shockwave. One ugly shotgun. It looks more like a "point, spray and pray" gun. Nope! Smith 629 and 300 grain soft points.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I had to look up the Shockwave. One ugly shotgun. It looks more like a "point, spray and pray" gun. Nope! Smith 629 and 300 grain soft points.
    Yep- it is ugly! Much more comfortable in hand than the pistol gripped models previously. Hopefully despite our different preferences in guns and ammo, we will all be lucky enough to not need them as intended. Hope for the best and expect the worst! Y'all stay safe and have a wonderful Christmas.

Merry Christmas Dave,

No kidding, they are ugly but, beautiful for close encounters of the "hairy" kind....regarding your 629, you must not do much crawling...chest and belt holsters get on the way when crawling, besides, the gun gets beat up with dirt/water, etc. A between the shoulder blades scabbard is much better for crawling....

Merry Christmas Dave,

No kidding, they are ugly but, beautiful for close encounters of the "hairy" kind....regarding your 629, you must not do much crawling...chest and belt holsters get on the way when crawling, besides, the gun gets beat up with dirt/water, etc. A between the shoulder blades scabbard is much better for crawling....
    Mostly I have a holster that I carry in a cross draw fashion. I am right handed but left master eye'd. So the bow is usually in the right hand. Also with the pistol butt foreword on the left hip, the butt does not hit on my pack frame. Fortunately in 16 years of bear baiting I have only had to draw once. Black bear cub at 10 feet. Luckily momma had the other two youngsters at the bait barrel. I think the first time female archer I had behind me had to change her panties. But... It was still a fun day.

Mostly I have a holster that I carry in a cross draw fashion. I am right handed but left master eye'd. So the bow is usually in the right hand. Also with the pistol butt foreword on the left hip, the butt does not hit on my pack frame. Fortunately in 16 years of bear baiting I have only had to draw once. Black bear cub at 10 feet. Luckily momma had the other two youngsters at the bait barrel. I think the first time female archer I had behind me had to change her panties. But... It was still a fun day.
    It was reported the guide in Wyoming who has killed by a grizzly had a G20 without a round in the chamber on a chest holster. He reportedly took his shirt, holster/gun off and placed it on his pack by a tree. When attacked by the grizzly he must have had a knife and it is said he also had a can of "bear protection spray" (yup, because it is designed to protect bears). When the attack started, the client reached for the Glock and presumably, tried to fire it with an empty chamber. The client presumably hit the magazine release thinking it was a safety and tossed the gun-now without a magazine-to the guide.
    A confluence of unfortunate events which are easy to understand.
    Most guys I know who carry G20s in the woods, do not have a round in the chamber (I know...I know...what good is it in an emergency?). Most folks feel a bit uneasy with a chambered round in a Glock while traversing rough terrain and brush (makes sense). So here is the question: Are these "high firepower" guys setting themselves up by carrying a gun without a chambered round for fear of an unintentional discharge? Shouldn't they be carrying a "safer" double action revolver with/without a round in the chamber? Is the "firepower" myth ironically making things more dangerous for these folks?

It was reported the guide in Wyoming who has killed by a grizzly had a G20 without a round in the chamber on a chest holster. He reportedly took his shirt, holster/gun off and placed it on his pack by a tree. When attacked by the grizzly he must have had a knife and it is said he also had a can of "bear protection spray" (yup, because it is designed to protect bears). When the attack started, the client reached for the Glock and presumably, tried to fire it with an empty chamber. The client presumably hit the magazine release thinking it was a safety and tossed the gun-now without a magazine-to the guide.
    A confluence of unfortunate events which are easy to understand.
    Most guys I know who carry G20s in the woods, do not have a round in the chamber (I know...I know...what good is it in an emergency?). Most folks feel a bit uneasy with a chambered round in a Glock while traversing rough terrain and brush (makes sense). So here is the question: Are these "high firepower" guys setting themselves up by carrying a gun without a chambered round for fear of an unintentional discharge? Shouldn't they be carrying a "safer" double action revolver with/without a round in the chamber? Is the "firepower" myth ironically making things more dangerous for these folks?
    Mine in the garage still has a round in the chamber. Rarely does it not! Hiked all over w it- still no accidental discharge but itís has been drawn many times and pointed at bears- only two times was it fired, once by me- hitting bear dead center in the head- posted pic in this thread. Other time was my cousin from IN when his first ever big game animal, black bear he hit w a 30-30 ran and we tracked it down once I got off work. Drawn the glock as he ran, seen he was gonna tree so cut my dog loose and gave glock to cousin who never shot one before. He pelted the bear many times just fine. Love the glock, but Iím thinking Iíll try the 460sw at the bear bait this year. Hikes n such will get the g40 for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have carried a Glock G20, with a round in the chamber many a couple decades now. I have not had any issues. The other take away is to use the right ammo for what you are doing. While the Glock or any 10 MM maynot be the right tool at that time, it is better then not having any firearm! The other thing is mo matter what tool one carries, they must practice with it a LOT. Once or twice a year does not cut it.

My Smith 629 always has a round chambered. If I take in my 1911 .45 ACP instead, it has a round in the chamber too. My Kimber .45 that I carry for people always has a round in the chamber. Any time I think I might be in a situation where I might need firepower quickly, there's a round in the chamber.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 12-31-2018 at 10:02.

Just now read this thread. I use the Diamond D chest holster with the flap and extra mag holder for my Desert Eagle. I like the 330 grain .50AE; eight quick punches and the fight should be over. I always carry one in the chamber. Always. Firearm is a lousy hammer when you cannot shoot it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Carried in a properly fitted holster for the brush, I see no reason a semi auto is less safe in any manner at all. If the trigger is hanging out where branches can catch it when scrambling through underbrush then a DA revolver is just as dangerous. City (people) protection holsters are different than wilderness holsters to me. If it is a gun and I am carrying it, it is ready to roll. I practice shooting and racking slides with my non dominant hand, belt or boot and I sure don't want to do that when something is bearing down on me. Just my .02

Rock Island 1911... it's om my bucket list
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Rock Island 1911... it's om my bucket list
    Rock Island single stack 10mm or double stack 10mm?

Quote Originally Posted by normK View Post
    Rock Island single stack 10mm or double stack 10mm?
    Definitely double stack
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Definitely double stack
    1st off I'm glad to know that you didn't go and die on us. It's been a couple of years since we heard from you. I missed your point of view!

I was at Brownells a short while back and picked up one of those Rock Islands in 45ACP for another look. I even had them take off the anti theft leash so I could dry fire it. I was/am very impressed with their quality. I compared it to all of the main brand name 1911s in the store and it was as good if not better than most. I didn't mess with the Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat or Nighthawk offerings as they are out of my league anyway. However when compared to Colt, Kimber,Ruger, Remington, S&W, Springfield and Sig they don't have to take a back seat to any of them. they are a good product!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    1st off I'm glad to know that you didn't go and die on us. It's been a couple of years since we heard from you. I missed your point of view!

I was at Brownells a short while back and picked up one of those Rock Islands in 45ACP for another look. I even had them take off the anti theft leash so I could dry fire it. I was/am very impressed with their quality. I compared it to all of the main brand name 1911s in the store and it was as good if not better than most. I didn't mess with the Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat or Nighthawk offerings as they are out of my league anyway. However when compared to Colt, Kimber,Ruger, Remington, S&W, Springfield and Sig they don't have to take a back seat to any of them. they are a good product!
    Good to see you are also still kicking EKC! There is an in interesting story behind my preference of 10mm handguns. Get a cup of Joe and have a seat. So... You might remember the video that went viral of a guy (Todd Orr) here in Montana who got mauled twice by the same bear a couple years ago. Well, it turns out that Todd is a friend of mine. He had told me he was carrying a 10mm at the time. So I have been wanting a 10mm recently with the Glock 20 and 40 a the top of my list. Well I was talking with Todd about a month ago and asked him if he was carrying a Glock? BTW, he was scouting for the upcoming elk archery season. He said no, that he was carrying a Rock Island 1911 and he and another mutual friend of ours proceeded to tell why the Rock Island was better than the Glocks. I noticed earlier in the thread you didn't prefer a 1911 for protection because it didn't hold enough rounds. So... the RI 1911 10mm double stack holds 16 in the mag, one more than the Glock 20 and same as the 40. My friends told me the RI was all steel and heavier and sweet to shoot because it was a little heavier.

I read somewhere in the forum here that you have 7 Grandsons? I became a Grandpa 3 1/2 years ago. One grandson so far. Nothing like being a Grandpa, awesome!
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Yup 7 grandsons....= lots of PaPa purchased firearms and ammunition. I was going to retire this year but decided to give it one more year so we can be well equipped for years to come!

I have no idea of what I would expect in bear country. My thought and it could be flawed is that a single stack magazine would be enough. Would it be possible to get off 16 rounds in a bear defense situation? I figure if the first half dozen didn't hit their mark then I was probably going to be turned to fertilizer anyway!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast