Thread: Homer Update

Default Homer Update

Friday I went out and the bay was flat. Once I left the bay it was little choppy but not bad. Cloudy and a breeze. Headed up to Anchor point to meet a friend but he ran into a few problems and could not launch. WE tried a little fishing there we some success. So I decided to head south to my favorite place. Water got a little bit rougher. Made it there and we anchored. Caught several nice fish with one going about 65-70# the were about 30-40# range. I did loose a nice one on a jig. Had him to the surface and he had seen enough. spit the hook. About a 60-70#.

Sat was deciding if I should head back up to Anchor or go to Pogi Point. Well I went north and met another friend of mine. We fished together. The water was just about flat and the sun was out. The bite was one. Limited out by noon. The biggest was about 65# with the rest between 30-40#. We had silvers swimming around are boat.

Bad part. One the way back 4 miles from the spit my port motor decided to go south on me. First it shut down. So I inspected it and gave it time to cool down . After a while I started it and it started right up but while I went 4000 rpm it would drop down to 13 then back up to 23 and so on. I limped my way back to the dock. Boy the bay was rough heading back in.

I think I was lucky sat. People that went out that headed straight or to the left ran into some rough waters.
    As for my boat I will get the engine checked out once I get back from Africa.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Wed. and Thurs. the water was as nice as I have seen it. We had gone out a ways right off the bat and ended up having better luck closer in. Took us a little while to find a hot spot but once we did we had our limit for 6 in a couple hours with the largest 2 in the mid 40's. Sadly enough we had to drive away Friday morning while looking back at the blue sky and calm waters so we could get our guests back to town in preperation for thier flight home. Our 2 day total was 265lbs of fillets so there weren't any complaints on our end.

Default Was out as well...

WE had some of the same luck (the good kind...). We went out Friday and headed straight out about 30 miles or so. Drifted along the hump and did pretty good... 4 of us limited out after throwing back a lot of smaller ones. All the tasty sizes... 30-40 pounders! Not a bad day, and I thought the water was pretty good. A little chop and roller action but not too bad. I skipped Saturday to get some projects done, and setup for Sunday since I had a friend and his family going out with me.

We left the dock at noon - after the girls all finally got ready! GRIN... my friend, his wife and three girls - 5, 9 and 11 all went out with me. We didn't go out as far, but fished off Seldovia hump and had a blast. A little bumpy but smoothed out as the day went on. It was the first halibut trip for 2 of the girls, and they had a BLAST! It was something to see the 9yo cranking in a 35# butt with the rod in the holder... anyone tried to help she very politely told them to get lost! LOL!!! Ended up with a 60, 50, 45, 35 and the rest in the 15-20 range. They could not have been happier, as was I. Always love to take new fishermen (and women!) out and see them have a blast. Got a great photo of my fishbox stuffed with fish and a few grinning young faces. Thank goodness we caught that fat cod right off... them bigger butts loved it (and only it)
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Sounds like you had a great trip. When I get back from Africa and when my boat is fixed I will make another run to Homer.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default I also had the same kind of halibut

Saturday was not bad running out, but man coming back in was fun. The six year old finally puked about 2/3 of the way back in. He caught 3 fish. I would hold the rod over my knee and help hold. He would crank on the down motion like a mad man. We all limited out being selective. The first fish on the boat was 30#. A good sign. We then proceded to catch our limit. 6 were in the 25-60# range. The rest were 15-20#. We had to give on the big one and kept the little ones as the water getting worse. We were filleying the fish at the new station. We had the biggest fish there. Some peoples were tiny. Like 10#ers. And they paid a pretty price for those. Didn't go back out sunday because of the weather. Plus I was beat. The guy in the bait shop by the boat launch said the water is warming up and they are seeing bigger fish. These fish this time were bigger than the last trip on average, except for 4 smaller ones.

I have noticed the water is colder this year.. Yeah I agree friday and sat. I did notice allot of charters at the chicken hole on my way out and in.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Out there as well....

Sorry to hear about your engine AG. I think I might have seen you working on that a few miles out from the spit. Hope is works out. we ended up spending the weekend fishing out of Seldovia with good success. Sure is nice to be on fish within 15 minutes of Seldovia. The moorage fee is well worth the time and gas savings to run back to Homer. I even saw some locals pulling up 40 pound butts in 30 ft of water less than 1 mile from Seldovia! If there is one thing I've learned fishing all over AK, local knowledge is priceless.

Left the boat in Homer and thus were headed back this Friday. Seas are looking good!

Thumbs up knowledge is power

Flyguy
    Sent you a pm.

When I get back I will head down there for one more weekend.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
    Sorry to hear about your engine AG. I think I might have seen you working on that a few miles out from the spit. Hope is works out. we ended up spending the weekend fishing out of Seldovia with good success. Sure is nice to be on fish within 15 minutes of Seldovia. The moorage fee is well worth the time and gas savings to run back to Homer. I even saw some locals pulling up 40 pound butts in 30 ft of water less than 1 mile from Seldovia! If there is one thing I've learned fishing all over AK, local knowledge is priceless.

Left the boat in Homer and thus were headed back this Friday. Seas are looking good!
    I was across cook inlet a few years ago fishing for silvers. The camp we were at had an old narly halibut pole with chincy real. Had a circle hook though! We went down to the beach with a smaller fish head and I took the weight and fish head in my hand. Let out a bunch of line and then ran and threw the rig as far as I could. Made it out 50 feet or so. We were laughing thinking it would be funny if it worked.

Two hours later we had cleaned two 40 - 50lbs butts and were eating deepfried! Stopped halibut fishing because after the two all we were catching were sand sharks one right after another.

Ever try beaching a halibut? What a trip!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!