Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saturn Kaboat and 20hp options

Quote Originally Posted by south coast stu View Post
    Is/was that yours, Kurt? How long? Thanks.
    This may be old news, but south coast stu posted on youtube about how he made his tunnel hull. Just look up "KaBoat Jet Tunnel Build". He posted pictures on a different thread on here also, but the video/stills/text are a nice summary. Nice job! The neoprene skirt, UHMW things, etc, to keep it from cavitating look very well thought out. Thanks south coast stu. Mine's set up for a prop, but yours is very tempting if I convert to a jet.

After this thread I'm going to get 7' Cataract economy oars for mine. I got some 6' or 6.5' el-cheapos from Amazon and they work great for putzing around on a lake.

For what it's worth, my rowing frame uses Home Depot chain link fence "line post" with globalindustrial kee-safety "T"s and NRS 6" oar towers. Might have $100 in it, has worked great so far.

This KaBoat information is very helpful, thanks everyone for sharing.

Thanks for the shout-out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYKFoG0z8Qw

Did you mean Carlisle economy oars? I haven't heard of Cataract economy oars.

FWIW - I got my frame from BoatsToGo https://www.boatstogo.com/rowing-raft-frame.asp $129 + shipping ($39 for me). Pretty good for the price point. Haven't really got to try it out much since I don't have a decent set of oars. Plan on getting oars this spring and putting it through some whitewater.

I've wondered if a pontoon boat (~9') frame would work good for a KaBoat. I've seen a few lately on Craigslist for $50. If I didn't already have a frame I'd be giving it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by south coast stu View Post
    Did you mean Carlisle economy oars? I haven't heard of Cataract economy oars.

FWIW - I got my frame from BoatsToGo https://www.boatstogo.com/rowing-raft-frame.asp $129 + shipping ($39 for me).
    Yes! My bad, Carlisle for sure.

That frame looks great for the price, plus puts the oar locks in a better place, farther out from the frame vs. the NRS parts that I bought off craigslist.

Stu here are the oars I have perfect for the Kaboat spendy but quality oars.

https://www.downriverequip.com/oars-...piece-pid-2582

Question

Bummer the Mini Mags have been discontinued I can find one for $150 but that does me no good. Cataract has replaced the MM with the KBO shafts (wrapped with stops) and replaceable blades. I can get them (with the nice Cutthroat blades) on Amazon for $316/pair. Getting kinda spendy but I had 9' Cataract's SGG's on my drift boat - makes a HUGE difference on the power of a stroke.

Kurt - When I look at various oar length calculators/guidelines, etc. I come up with 7'. Based on your experience with a frame on a KaBoat and 7' oars, would you consider going to 7 1/2'? Or too long? Thanks.

I'm also looking at the Sawyer Small Stealth oars but they are not cheap either. If anyone has any experience with these I'm all ears.

Unless you had oar stands that extended out I would stick with 7 ft oars I may sell mine in the future. Kurt

Great info on the frames and oars guys. I am going to add a frame this year so I'll stay tuned and see how it works out for you guys. I wouldn't be doing whitewater any more technical than the Kenai canyon so I'm wondering if that BoatsToGo frame with some good oars would be sufficient. I was expecting to have to spend way more than that so it would be a nice surprise.
    -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12