Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unfortunate Experience on River

Default Unfortunate Experience on River

Hello,

I had a very unfortunate experience this past week while fishing on the Klutina river. My father and I were fishing kings near the confluence of Klutina and Copper rivers. We have fished this hole a number of times and it has always produced well for us. We have never seen guide boats here, but that is not to say they don't use the hole often as well and we have just never seen them.

The unfortunate experience we had was that a guide boat pulled right on top of us and would not leave. He insisted that because my father was re-rigging near our gear (approx 45 feet from me) that he did not know where he was fishing and pulled in right between us with his boat. There was also a third gentleman who was cleaning a fish right where he pulled in. He inserted himself exactly where my father was fishing and I suspect strongly that he was well aware of this. After expressing our irritation with him he berated us and told us that people from Fairbanks (we told him where we were from) were ruining the river and taking all the good holes and that we did not own the river (on this last point I concede he is right, we don't own it but then again neither does he).

I'm sure he saw the interaction differently, however, and so I don't want to say anything too disparaging. We did ask if he would do this type of thing to another guide and he said that he would not, but since we were unguided and he made his living off the river it was ok. That seemed wrong to me.

I would like to file a complaint about this incident with Fish and Game and the Coast Guard. Does anyone know if that is the correct course of action and who to contact? I figure I can explain it to them and they can decide if they want to follow up.

If people feel that is not appropriate, I would like to hear that also. I feel sorry for his clients. They were put in a situation I'm sure they didn't plan to pay for. If any are on this board I apologize for poor handling on all sides.

Thank you.

WOW!!!!!!! i think i would have just shot a hole in his boat and that would have been that!

what was the name of the guide business?

What you can do is call the better business bureau file a complaint there. Also if you got the name or the person and the company right or call and speak to the owner and left him know what happen. As for the coast guard. I don't know what they could do here on this situation. Same goes for Fish and Game. keep us informed
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default BBB vs. F&G

I guess I figured that since guides are licensed by F&G and the Coast Guard that something like this could go to them. Is that not correct? Thank you for your suggestion on the BBB. I had not thought of them.

Try fishing the Kenai during the second run of kings!! I've had guide boats actually bump my boat in an attempt to push me out of a hole.

Usually this behavior can be corrected by a few well placed miscasts. Guides hate untangling clients lines. ;-)

rude guides seem to be a common problem. If there is some thing that could be done that would be good information to have.

How bout a tuna rod with roller bearings and 100 pound test, so arcticwildman could reel in his catch. A power winch might come in handy.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    How bout a tuna rod with roller bearings and 100 pound test, so arcticwildman could reel in his catch. A power winch might come in handy.

Hmmm..I wonder what the bag limit is on guide boats?

There are some bad guides out there but at the same time there are some really great ones out there.. Lets not try to clump all the guides into on cooking pot.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

How about a big treble hook with razor blades welded into the bend?

Default I Agree with Alaska Gray

I did not intend this thread to be about bashing guides either as a group or individuals and I purposely left out the guide's name because of the rules of the forum. I agree that there are plenty of very good and professional guides out there. I have fished with a few and have usually seen true professionals doing their best to get fish for their clients. My question really is just what recourse does a normal fisherman have when a guide crosses the line to get those fish. Perhaps there is no recourse. I had hoped that the agencies that license guides would want to hear about things like this.
    Last edited by FTA; 07-23-2007 at 16:53. Reason: clarification

I like to fish. Confrontation with other fisherman takes the fun out of it. I'm certain the folks that barge in on me are very aware that I'm angry at their intrusion, but they don't hear a word from me as I saddle up and leave. Confronting them isn't my desire. My kid doesn't need me to model confrontational behavior. I don't see any point in escalating the tension to ultimately find out if I can be a bigger jerk than them. I've said for years that I prefer to fish a lonely stretch of water that's less productive to banging boats and yelling threats at the popular hole. Exploring new spots has become the norm for me. Doing so has produced both nice surprises and quality quiet time. That's why I go fishing in the first place.

On the other hand I have many memories of combat fishing alongside perfect strangers and we all had a great time. The comraderie became as important as the catching. I've experienced that as the guy inviting somebody to come in close as well as being the guy that was invited. The bottom line is that my fishin' mission is to have fun. If it isn't fun, I'll find something else that is.

Default Unacceptable behavior

I am sorry to hear about your experience. You do indeed have recouse, and in fact, the unguided angler often carries much weight with the regulating agencies.

I do agree that ADF&G and USCG will do little about a complaint. BBB is a good option, however if you did not have a buisiness relationship with the guide, your complaint may not go far. Nevertheless, a complaint with the Alaska State Troopers will increase their awareness of unethical behavior.

I am not familiar with the area that this incident occured, but if it is in a state park or national forest, your statement will certainly be heard and a permanent record will be placed in the guide's file. Both agencies take statements very seriously and will consider these complaints when the guide reapplies for a permit next year.

Hope that helps, and again, sorry for your experience.

I'd call the business and let them know how their guides were acting towards the general public. If they weren't receptive and willing to deal with the issue or you happened to speak to the same guy you had the run in with, well I would let everyone I could know just how he does business in hopes that it would cost him money. I tend to go a little far sometimes but then again you only have so many options and his actions were inexcusable from what I read.

Default It is just a FISH!

Pull up and leave it is not worth the effort. If you have the AK numbers call the troopers and the coast gaurd and file a complaint! I'm a guide and I do not like this behavior from private or public anglers, no one owns the rivers, 1st. come 1st. serve, I would never pull atop some one, asking for permission is usually my way.
    Good Luck with it. Louie

Default Tell someone!!!!

I had a similiar bad experience at Deep Creek a few weeks ago. I notified the Alaska Fish and Game, AST Wildlife Troopers and the Coast Guard. Ifenough folks that are bullied by these unethical guides, the powers that be may start listening and restrict them, or not license them if enough complaints come against them.

I am not against 99.9 percent of the good guides that are making their living off the rivers or oceans. I AM against every one of these unethical a--holes that try to bully.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Thumbs down Aggressive seems to go with the profile

I was traveling through the Fred Meyer parking lot earlier today when I was rudely cut off by an SUV pulling out of the Taco Bell. I was pissed, because he didn't even look to make eye contact though he was fully aware of what he was doing. As I followed him to the intersection what did I notice on his bumper? "Kenai Guide".

I've had a drift boat guide force my son-in-law and myself off the bank on the Kasilof because his clients wanted to go wee-wee where we were fishing.
    As he and his clients re-boarded the boat, he tossed us some of his "special eggs" to assuage our anoyance at his rudeness. I was tempted to toss them back at him. I used them later, but his eggs sucked anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FTA View Post
    Hello,

I had a very unfortunate experience this past week while fishing on the Klutina river. My father and I were fishing kings near the confluence of Klutina and Copper rivers. We have fished this hole a number of times and it has always produced well for us. We have never seen guide boats here, but that is not to say they don't use the hole often as well and we have just never seen them.

The unfortunate experience we had was that a guide boat pulled right on top of us and would not leave. He insisted that because my father was re-rigging near our gear (approx 45 feet from me) that he did not know where he was fishing and pulled in right between us with his boat. There was also a third gentleman who was cleaning a fish right where he pulled in. He inserted himself exactly where my father was fishing and I suspect strongly that he was well aware of this. After expressing our irritation with him he berated us and told us that people from Fairbanks (we told him where we were from) were ruining the river and taking all the good holes and that we did not own the river (on this last point I concede he is right, we don't own it but then again neither does he).

I'm sure he saw the interaction differently, however, and so I don't want to say anything too disparaging. We did ask if he would do this type of thing to another guide and he said that he would not, but since we were unguided and he made his living off the river it was ok. That seemed wrong to me.

I would like to file a complaint about this incident with Fish and Game and the Coast Guard. Does anyone know if that is the correct course of action and who to contact? I figure I can explain it to them and they can decide if they want to follow up.

If people feel that is not appropriate, I would like to hear that also. I feel sorry for his clients. They were put in a situation I'm sure they didn't plan to pay for. If any are on this board I apologize for poor handling on all sides.

Thank you.
    I know the location well.

Rude fishing guide at Klutina to shore anglers? Too easy to believe.

From my experience of fishing that area there are only a couple polite guides there, not many. I pack a shot gun for bear protection on the sand bar now, some will laugh at me. For some reason have no more guides pulling up on me.

22 years in the Army taught me not to leave an equalizer in the armsroom. 1990 had me in the ashtray and GreenPeace harrassing our OP on the beach from a zodiac with a rainbow banner and yelling profanity at us. It only took one wave of my gernade launcher, open and closing the breach, to have them tuck tail and haul *****, never even loaded the tube.

Whatever you do...Sorry to hear your trouble I hope this wont deter you from going back.

TSS
    Last edited by JediMasterSalmonSlayer; 07-24-2007 at 00:11. Reason: Jedi mind power failure
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Red face Another spot gone to pot. . . literally. .

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I've had a drift boat guide force my son-in-law and myself off the bank on the Kasilof because his clients wanted to go wee-wee where we were fishing.
    My brother-in-law, down visiting from Eagle River for the week, just came back here to the house after an aborted effort to bank fish down at Cunningham Park.

He left disgusted—said it was impossible to fish because of an endless stream of guide boats letting off clients to pee-pee at the facilities.

Poor guy. . . he's just trying to get away from the combat fishing and get some fish. He's been in Alaska since 1956.

The weapon in view tends to make polite guides. But if you ask them to more out of your area tell them that you are new at casting and some of your casts have gone wind "I would not want to catch one of your clients" maybe the client would ask him to move so as not to get hooked.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast