Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moose Activity

https://youtu.be/sRzHTmHpqUc Theyíve been pretty active for me lately. No legal bulls yet however.

They are rutting pretty hard right now up above the arctic circle. Should be getting really good down here if it is not already.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

In my view F&G has screwed up moose hunting in the interior with the antler-less hunts, perhaps not everywhere around Alaska, but from Washington Creek on the Elliott all the way to about mile 49. The same can be said around North Pole and Fairbanks.

On the Elliott around Mile 32 there is a 12 mile trail on top of a ridge, and this trail drops down to the valley and swamps at the left and right of the ridge. When I started hunting in that area in the early 90's there would be around 30 trucks parked at the trailhead, and may friends and I kept count of a great number of bulls killed near the end of the trail by the swamps. At least 10 moose were pulled out of there each year.

But we hunted near the trail, although it took a little longer to see a bull. What we did was to watch for cows browsing, and a few later kill a bull or two that had been attracted to the cow's urine. This technique never failed us. I could sit at my campsite in the middle of the day and hear bulls answering to my grunt calls. There were two large wolf packs down below at each side of the ridge, there were black and grizzly bears around. We could hear the wolves hawling, and I remember one night being awake listening to some bears growling in the distance (probably fighting). We had wolves and black bears crisscrossing the trail from one side of the ridge to the other. Even our campsite was raided by a bear one time.

Then around 10-12 years ago F&G started killing the cows, and the last bull I saw killed on the area was three years ago. Another bull was killed near the trailhead last year. Down in the valleys below one bull was killed this year, and just like in recent years we din't even see a cow near the trail. In this trail the wolves moved out a few years ago, we rarely see a black bear during the moose season, the cows are gone, and so the bulls. But there is a positive note, and this is directed to F&G: the wolves are gone, but in the past five years the coyotes have moved in. My cow calls are answered by coyotes

Bulls need cows last I checked. But then again Iím not a biologist.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    And cows need bulls to reproduce, maybe pulling 10 bulls a year out of the same small area year after year isn't the best idea? Of course I'm not a biologist either.
    "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Ya killing all the cows then killing all the bulls and then the wolves leave...maybe no food is why the wolves left? But again. Iím not a biolo......
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Definitely some bored comedians around here.....

20b for the most part had an early season closure for a reason. They stopped most of the cow hunts and restricted the minto hunt access for a reason. I donít think the bios always get it right but at least they try. ****ed if they do and ****ed if they donít. I know a guy who has a good success record and has hunted west of the Elliot for years and I believe heís got skunked 4 years in a row now. They seen more wolves than moose the last 2 years.

Where I live in the FMA I used to see a lot more moose. I used to have moose in my yard once a week now itís been a year since I seen one. I have a anecdotal poaching theory with very little supporting evidence but I have found remains of 3 cows on the trails behind my house where trucks frequently drive in the evenings. Could be archers but I donít know of many archery kills that drop in their tracks and donít leave drag marks getting them back to the road. I still see cows and the occasional bull, but fewer now. Once the snow falls Iíll get back to hunting when they are easier to locate and with hopefully fewer people.

At least the Biologist got the Unit 13 caribou hunt numbers correct ... Oh Wait
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    At least the Biologist got the Unit 13 caribou hunt numbers correct ... Oh Wait
    Which year was that?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    And cows need bulls to reproduce, maybe pulling 10 bulls a year out of the same small area year after year isn't the best idea? Of course I'm not a biologist either.
    Good points. But keep in mind the following: according to a biologist I argued with at the rocky knob I hunt moose from three moose seasons ago, the reason for killing cows in that area (I don't know about the area you hunt) was:

a. To reduce the number of cows because there were too many cows per number of bulls in the area. So he wants to reduce the number of cows in a vast area that surrounds the ridge and trail I have hunted at since 1992. This region starts from Washington Creek to perhaps mile 49 on the Elliott (probably a lot larger than what I am assuming), and into the low lands toward Minto.

b. Also because moose are over-gracing the area, and don't have enough food to eat. However, all that is just BS, simply because in these areas of the Elliot wildfires burn a lot of the spruce every few years apart. And there is birch all over the place now. That's what has happened in these areas, and the last wildfire was just about two years ago, and before that about three years prior at the other side of the ridge. In fact, that long trail I am referring to, plus several cat trails at each side of the ridge were created for the fire crews to reach the burn areas. The main trail was created over 30 years ago for the same reasons.

So, lets say that F&G wants to reduce the number of cows in that vast region:

a. In this case, how are you going to reduce the number of cows in the swamps hunters can't reach unless they fly in? And yes, for the past three years I have seen a floatplane landing on some of the lakes across and behind pump station 7, but how can the average hunter afford to fly in? Of two groups of hunters that made it down the trail to the swaps, the one who killed a moose damaged his machine's motor (got water inside), and the other broke 7 axles on two or three (?) of his Polaris 6-wheelers.

b. Do you really think that the number of cows is being reduced down below in the swamps? The answer is a resounding NO. The cows are being killed by the roads and trails. In other words, only at the access points of the region, and these access points is where a few cows had a chance to reproduce and bring bulls out of the swamps. As I mentioned before, the antler-less hunts started years ago with the youth hunts, and later turned into killing cows. If the idea was to have more bulls than cows over 12 years ago, where are the bulls now?

c. F&G-in the past 14 years or so-has destroyed a perfect moose habitat where we had lots of wolves, black bears, and moose. The cows have several things working against them:

-Winter & predators (calves are killed by both, and some of these calves are bulls).
    -For the past 12 or more years we have also killed the cows.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    A good habitat has bulls, cows, wolves, bears, and so on. The number of wolves is reduced when there is not enough food in the area. When coyotes move in it means that wolves have moved out.

What F&G has done in Alaska in recent years have been done in the lower-48, and I have no idea where those programs have been successful. Predator control would help the moose population, but the killing of cows is not going to.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier06 View Post
    20b for the most part had an early season closure for a reason. They stopped most of the cow hunts and restricted the minto hunt access for a reason. I donít think the bios always get it right but at least they try. ****ed if they do and ****ed if they donít. I know a guy who has a good success record and has hunted west of the Elliot for years and I believe heís got skunked 4 years in a row now. They seen more wolves than moose the last 2 years.

Where I live in the FMA I used to see a lot more moose. I used to have moose in my yard once a week now itís been a year since I seen one. I have a anecdotal poaching theory with very little supporting evidence but I have found remains of 3 cows on the trails behind my house where trucks frequently drive in the evenings. Could be archers but I donít know of many archery kills that drop in their tracks and donít leave drag marks getting them back to the road. I still see cows and the occasional bull, but fewer now. Once the snow falls Iíll get back to hunting when they are easier to locate and with hopefully fewer people.
    Yes, the wolves follow the moose, and at the moment the places to be at are by the water in low areas.

I have no arguments with F&G with restricting the number of days we can hunt to allow the moose population to bounce up. But the killing of cows is not going to accomplish that. Also a late-season cow is probably pregnant, and not all calves are female.

I drew the DM410 (Knik) cow permit. I've been in the woods 15 days and have come across 1 cow with a calf. This area I hunt is usually crawling with moose. This lottery ticket is usually guaranteed meat in the freezer. I have one day left to hunt. Can't believe I haven't seen 1 lone cow.

Been hunting down the Su. Had a bull cross the river to my calls a few nights back and tried to cut it off. Next morning had a bull (possibly same bull) thrashing and grunting just outside camp before light but never crossed paths. Still out hoping for some action.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFreezerFiller View Post
    Been hunting down the Su. Had a bull cross the river to my calls a few nights back and tried to cut it off. Next morning had a bull (possibly same bull) thrashing and grunting just outside camp before light but never crossed paths. Still out hoping for some action.
    Judging by the number of camps and gun shots I hear from the homestead their is plenty of competition out there!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12