Thread: Legal or not?

Default Legal or not?

Alright folks, Iím having some debate with some friends about this Moose I shot in 20A on Thursday. I had an any bull tag so itís a moot point, but I think this is a fork what do you think...if youíve only got a harvest ticket do you shoot or let it walk? In any case, itís a good bull to get out of the gene pool.

BDE02704-C639-4B99-8316-4E09BD6A0BEB.jpg637C437E-6CC9-4D12-923E-227C7E09F2BC.jpg
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Any Bull is better than no Bull....
    As a meat Bull, you done what you set out to do, and you are quite in the right and meat rich........but unless its 15 years old and never developed antlers beyond spikes, then the gene pool will never know what its missing

Id have shot that over a 50 inch.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I'm pretty sure that is a fork. That one point is wider than it is long the way it broke.

A better picture would help. But, to me it does look like a fork. Phooey to all who say it's paddled or palmated.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

From the second picture, I would say it is not a fork and would let it walk, when hunting in an area with antler restrictions. In any any bull area, in the freezer he would go!

Fork now letís eat

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I was of the understanding that a ďforkĒ thatís a result of an obviously broken antler doesnít (necessarily) make it a legal moose.

From F&G:
    "A spike-fork bull is legal if it has one antler on either side that is a SPIKE (1 point) or a FORK (2 points). The antler on the other side can be any configuration. Males calves are not considered spike bulls. Bulls with palmated antlers (paddles) seldom are legal under the ďspike or forkĒ requirement. A spike bull is legal if it has one antler on either side that is a SPIKE (1 point). The antler on the other side can be any configuration. Bulls with palmated antlers (paddles) seldom are legal under the ďspikeĒ requirement."

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I would have a tough time pulling the trigger in a antler restricted area, It almost looks like an old moose that is regressing and starting to grow deformed antlers. A couple other angles would be helpful, but the odd growth would be a point, the obvious main point, the broken ones looks wider than it is long so no point there, then the other protrusion on the normally formed part of the antler. Is it wider than it is long? hard to say, especially in the field at any distance. More pics at different angles would be good.

That is not a legal spike fork per the intent of that law. Per the letter of the law would require some more evaluation from someone more qualified than I. But Iíd shoot it in area I hunt (any bull area) to rid the gene pool of that mess. Just in case he was sly enough to slip in and take care of a cow while the big bulls were fighting it out.

I'd pass in a restricted area. But then again, It's hard to see what I'm looking at in these photos. Nonetheless - thanks for removing him form the gene pool.

If the gene pool needed to be cleansed of all that is ugly, deformed or unusual ~ well, half of the members on this forum would fall under that category.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Definition of a point is "Must be 1" long before it is over 1" wide. Therefore if it is 7/8" or less it is legal to shoot. Looks like those deformed/broken antlers are only spike and no other recognizable points. Shooter in my book. We got one last year that had a fork on one side and the other had 3 points. The fork side had a small fork on one of the points but the extra point was only 7/8". I know lucky was the word of the evening. I could see a definite difference between the sides so we gambled. Lucky for us it paid off. Would I do it again. Probably not but with this bull in the OP I would for sure.
    Congrats on cleaning up the gene pool a little.
    Steve