Thread: Campbell Creek

Default Campbell Creek

I've fished Campbell Creek a few times now with no luck for Rainbows. I am very new to the fly fishing world and am still trying to learn as much as I can. I have fished behind the salmon and tried different beads and a couple of different flesh flies but am still getting skunked. Anyone have any advice for me? Maybe I am using the wrong fly, I am not sure.

Thanks

I did some fly fishing in Campbell Creek this summer. I was biking the trails and noticed the spawning kings so I brought my rod along the next time. It took some time to figure out the right bead but the fishing was pretty good once I did.

About a week later, I tried again and they didn’t seem to want to take a bead so I switched to nymphs and had some luck.

Caught quite a fish but nothing of much size typically 8”-12” with a few about 15”. Still a run after work, mid-week tune-up.

Talked to a guy that fishes and works on the creek. He said he has had luck on everything but it does seems to change quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFreezerFiller View Post
    I did some fly fishing in Campbell Creek this summer. I was biking the trails and noticed the spawning kings so I brought my rod along the next time. It took some time to figure out the right bead but the fishing was pretty good once I did.

About a week later, I tried again and they didn’t seem to want to take a bead so I switched to nymphs and had some luck.

Caught quite a fish but nothing of much size typically 8”-12” with a few about 15”. Still a run after work, mid-week tune-up.

Talked to a guy that fishes and works on the creek. He said he has had luck on everything but it does seems to change quickly.
    Makes sense what they key into changes. That stream doesn't have the food source typical in most streams go as far as salmon so flesh and eggs are probably not a given. Try things that mimic fry/smolt, bugs and things more traditional. Not to say they won't take flesh or beads but I'm guessing since there is less of it available color and size is pretty important.

Thanks for the info. guys!