Thread: Any Brooks Range success

Default Any Brooks Range success

Anyone back from the Brooks with success stories of moose or bou? About to fly in myself and curious how the year is going so far.

Last week I heard they were supposed to get a couple inches of snow......don't know if it ever happened though. Love the thought of hunting moose in the snow. Pretty much non-existent anymore around here.....unfortunately. What I wouldn't give to hunt moose in actual good moose hunting weather, instead of feeling like you're hunting them in the summer....with all the rain, heat, and bugs. What really bugs me is that in a lot of other places they're just starting to hunt moose when ours is finished.

Good luck up there.....I'm envious!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The Tushukpuk herd is concentrated and still on the Northslope, the WACH is still scatterd and the temps being as high as they are, they will not be ''forming up' for the trip south from the Coville/Noatak side of the Brooks too soon. Scattered bands are in the Noatak, south of the Brooks and a few are trickling through the upper Kobuk.......were still on hold for a trip up in a boat.

Funny, we used to have snow but today, and we would leave for Bulls on the 16th (Post wifes B -day) the late 80's and 90's, and the meats would be chilled and the work cold..... the 2000s have not been very predictable........ last year we got 1 bull at this time, and the migration didnt come untill November, and rut was whilst the Caribou were still North, so dont hold yer breath, warm temps are in the predictions......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

We just got back last Monday from chasing caribou off of Kikitaliorak Lake. We (and the pilots) believe we were on the tail end of them, but still able to pull 4 out in a week. I don't believe they were taking any more groups that far north after us. Moose would be pretty skinny up there above all the trees and brush, so not very surprised that it was just us, the caribou and the predators.

Still full velvet and clean meat. Rained almost every day then froze hard most nights.

My clients are just coming back in from up in Kotz. 1st group bagged 5 caribou bulls and 2 really big Griz. The largest was 8 1/2 feet!!! The guys told me that they saw dozens of Griz in 10 days. I wish the state would allow out of state hunters to hunt Griz without a guide as a form of predator control in units like 23 which is being overrun with bears! How about this...Out of state hunters can get an extra caribou tag...free but only if they take a Griz first!

Do you think the Guides will allow that???

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    907-259-4290

I will add some pics later today..

Default 2018 hunt photos-Kotz

More to come!

Walt
    Northwestalaska.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

More!

That is a Fat Griz!

Walt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Non-residents shooting bears makes sense to me.

Well, my guys were 2 residents and 3 non residents so my point is in a unit that is seeing too many bears lets open it up to non residents till the bear population is manageable. The moose calf mortality rate is very high in unit 23 right now. I would much rather the state makes some money selling tags then seeing other types of predator management.

Walt

I just got back from my best trip ever up there. Got a 69" moose.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    My clients are just coming back in from up in Kotz. 1st group bagged 5 caribou bulls and 2 really big Griz. The largest was 8 1/2 feet!!! The guys told me that they saw dozens of Griz in 10 days. I wish the state would allow out of state hunters to hunt Griz without a guide as a form of predator control in units like 23 which is being overrun with bears! How about this...Out of state hunters can get an extra caribou tag...free but only if they take a Griz first!

Do you think the Guides will allow that???

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    907-259-4290

I will add some pics later today..
    I will go ahead and allow it Walt. Let the troopers know that I said it was ok.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Too funny! But really...Lets open up Out of state Griz hunts in predator controlled units as a tool to reduce bear numbers!@!