Thread: A Howa Mini .223 flush magazine, success

Default A Howa Mini .223 flush magazine, success

So yeah, every body wants one and there seems to be a few who have tried to make flush bottom metal but I've only found one reference to cutting a magazine down and that was on the 6.5Grendal forum, which I seem to no longer be a member of so I couldn't see the pics.

I've been lurking on this site for a few years now, I live on the other side of the world but I'm constantly curious about the animals and landscapes that you guys hunt, fish and live in.
    Finally I have something that I feel worthy of contributing and sharing with y'all.

So I decided to make a go of it and started with one of the factory 10 round .223 magazines: First I disassembled the magazine which is particularly easy on these magazines:

Right I'm committed now!
    I needed something for the floor plate to slot over and it just so happens there's this handy ridge right where it's needed, I measured down 3mm and made a cut all around it with a coping saw:

I then used a file with a smooth side to remove the remnants of the vertical ridges and also a small portion of the front of the magazine locking ridge:

This allowed me to slide on the floor plate, so then I tried it in the rifle and found I couldn't quite lock it into the rifle as the floor plate was a fraction too thick.
    By sanding down the face and trying it a few times, I found that by taking off about 1mm it allowed the magazine to lock in easily:

I assembled it as it was and found that it would hold 4 rounds and feed perfectly but of course I wanted more (for less).
    The follower proved to be the culprit, it was too long at the front to allow the 5th round to fit in and the back was again about 2mm too long:

More cutting and sanding:

And that's it, as you can see it fit's much better and with a trimmed down magazine release lever as well, the rifle is actually comfortable to carry in the hands or slung over the shoulder.
    And if I'm parked up well I have two spare 10 round magazines I can always use

Finally, how does it function?

Nice job and thanks for the post. I have one and am seriously frustrated by how unhandy it is to carry. I may try your modification. J.

Very nice, thanks for sharing. New Zealand red stag is on my bucket list.

I have one in Grendel in a Boyd stock and I'd love to have the mag flush with the stock. I also have a CZ 527 in .223...same problem. Both shoot so well I'd never get rid of them but the mags are a liability. Thanks for the post and pix!!

BTW, New Zealand is one of the few countries left on my bucket list...if it just wasn't so FAR away!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.