Thread: Split antlers or cut from skull cap?

Default Split antlers or cut from skull cap?

When in need of reducing the size of a caribou rack is it better to split the skull or cut one(or both) antlers from the skull?
    Bruce

Are you wanting to mount these antlers later on? If so, I'm pretty sure that it is easier for a taxidermist to repair a split skull plate than it is for them to reattach the antler to the skull.

Default heard both ways

Ya, for later mounting. I have read about doing it both ways. Hoping to hear from some taxidermists or other professional opinions.
    Thanks
    Bruce

It's much easier and sturdier to put a split skullplate back together than trying to attach antlers to the skullplate.

Most homes will not easily accomodate a full rack being moved in the house, much less shipping it somewhere. For the best method is to cut the antlers at the skull plate. You reattach them on the mount using square steel stock mounted in the form. You then have a head, shoulder or full mount with detachable antlers. But you cannot have the rack measured for trophy books if you do this in the field, or before the measurement takes place. I have done this numerous times, works great. If the animal is not likely to place in the book, just cut them off in the field, much easier that way and lighter for packing out.

I think it is much easier to repair a split the skull plate the cut the antlers. Seen it done both ways and the mount look better with the split skull plate.

I would split the skull plate in the field. Then if wanting to have removable antlers have the taxidermist put he skull plate back together. Then he can mark the antlers and cut them so they can be put back together (if you want removable antlers). This is the way I would want it to come to my shop. Good Luck!!!

Troy

Talking split or cut

Quote Originally Posted by tebarret View Post
    I would split the skull plate in the field. Then if wanting to have removable antlers have the taxidermist put he skull plate back together. Then he can mark the antlers and cut them so they can be put back together (if you want removable antlers). This is the way I would want it to come to my shop. Good Luck!!!

Troy
    I agree with this method. If one keeps the antlers attached to the original skull (splitting) then the taxidermist can more accurately put them back together. If one cuts the antlers off the skull and discards it, then the antlers must be attached an artificial skull, skull plate or mechanical system, then accuracy, such as antler angles and width, can be compromised. Attaching antlers to any skull will not, in most cases, be as strong and secure as leaving them on the original skull and splitting. Ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Not discarding the skull

When I suggested cutting the antlers from the skull I was not going to discard the skull, just that I will have 3 pieces instead of 2.
    Bruce

Anyone here had to fix a cut skull plate ?
    How about reattach antlers?
    Been there done that. I would go for the cut antler if I was the one putting it back together. Make a mark at the cut so they line back up.
    Yes I did taxidermy for a while!
    You only need to cut one antler leave the other attached to the skull plate. Akres sounds like he know what he's talking about.

Default talk to the taxi first

I would say talk to the person that will be doing the work on them. That way they will be more comfortable working on your animal and in the end you get the best product. I have mounted my owen set of bou gear and its not as easy as one would think.

Default Index Mark

Make sure to make a couple index marks to aid in getting them back into the right location. Also take some spread measurements as well. As stated above can be done. Good luck and happy hunting.

Steve

If I was going to cut just an antler off, I would cut it in a wedge or "V" shape to make sure it was put back in the proper place, at the proper angle.

Default Hardware

Here is a link to the hardware type.
    http://www.bigantlers.com/antlermounts.html

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by nmtaxi View Post
    If I was going to cut just an antler off, I would cut it in a wedge or "V" shape to make sure it was put back in the proper place, at the proper angle.
    Great tip here! Having done it both ways, split skull and cut off antlers I can picture this as being the superior method.