Thread: Mojos

Default Mojos

How effective are/necessary are Mojos to a good decoy spread? I should probably make this a poll, but I'm not sure there are enough people on this forum to make it work. Let me know what your thoughts are before I buy one and maybe regret it. Thanks.

I think 15 years ago they were awesome... too common now I think. Just my opinion.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

I think the mojo allows you to get away with a smaller spread than normal for the size of water you're on. A dozen decoys and a mojo and you can pull in a bunch of birds from distance. My normal spread is 18 decoys and a mojo and it seems pretty effective. Yesterday I had some geese roll through from a mile out and check out the flash from the mojo.

While you can hunt effectively without a mojo- you'll need more dekes to make up the the difference. I think a mojo can replace at least a dozen or more dekes from a noticeability standpoint.- since I hunt from a kayak...less gear to haul makes it better. If I were going to add to my spread, it'd be a second mojo.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I think 15 years ago they were awesome... too common now I think. Just my opinion.
    Educated birds?

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I think the mojo allows you to get away with a smaller spread than normal for the size of water you're on. A dozen decoys and a mojo and you can pull in a bunch of birds from distance. My normal spread is 18 decoys and a mojo and it seems pretty effective. Yesterday I had some geese roll through from a mile out and check out the flash from the mojo.

While you can hunt effectively without a mojo- you'll need more dekes to make up the the difference. I think a mojo can replace at least a dozen or more dekes from a noticeability standpoint.- since I hunt from a kayak...less gear to haul makes it better. If I were going to add to my spread, it'd be a second mojo.
    That would be good since I use a kayak as my "retriever" too.

Default Mojos

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Educated birds?
    Exactly. They have seen them before. My dad and I bought 1 right when they came out and they worked so well that they were actually banned in Minnesota for the first few weeks of the season. Then you couldnít use battery ones in management areas. After a few years they got more liberal on the regs with them as ducks became educated on them. I still remember the first few hunts we used them and we were the only ones in the slough that had one, we pulled every single flock into our spread never even had to touch the calls. The main thing is finding ways to get movement in your spread. If you have a few decoys on a jerk string I feel you could be just as successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    ... If you have a few decoys on a jerk string I feel you could be just as successful.

I'll have to look into how to do that.

I was a hold out because I felt like they were cheating a bit and it was just more stuff to carry. I finally gave in and bought one a few years ago. I can unequivocally say they are effective. Thatís why various states banned or restricted them. They are most effective on young mallards early in the season. Iíve also had it draw in a bull moose, a Super Cub, and even a USAF MH60 Blackhawk made a U-turn to check out whatever was flashing in the marsh. I hunt small ponds. My setup Monday was 2 mallard decoys and the spinner. My usual spot gets a few more decoys but less than if I didnít have the mojo.

Personally I think a jerk cord, or now these "Motion Ducks" can be just as effective. You really just want to bring any kind of motion to the dekes. The new "Motion Ducks" really look good. They are a few ducks spread out on a type of spreader bar. I like anything that puts ripples on the water and there are a number of those contraptions.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I think it depends on when you hunt opening day everyone has one if you hunt during the week they may work better. I use a jerk string for the most part I think mojos scare the birds anymore
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

I agree w this. I travel lite. Maybe 4 dekes on a jerk string and 2 REMOTE CONTROLLED Mojos for me. When the Mojos first came out they worked fantastic. Still help but not like they used to. Jerk string puts ripples and movement on the water. That is really nice when the ducks get in closer. Mojos work great to pull them in from afar. Once close, the jerk string ripples pull them in all the way. ( nothing worse than dekes sitting in still water ).
    Just rig 3-4 dekes to a long string that goes back to your blind seperating your dekes with lines about 6 ft apart. Anchor the the far deke securely and run the line back to your blind avoiding brush and high weeds as much as possible so when u work the line you donít create other movements the approaching birds can see.
    Another trick Iíve used with success was kicking water w my boots when things are reletively quiet to simulate a frenzy of feeding ducks. They dig those kind of sounds.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Pro tip, Put your buddy who thinks he can call in charge of the jerk cord

I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    Pro tip, Put your buddy who thinks he can call in charge of the jerk cord
    So that's why my dad always put me in charge of the jerk string when I was a kid! Come to think of it...he still does it!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

We always rig a jerk cord to a bungee cord on the anchor end...pull and let the bungee pull it back. You can make a fair bit of motion that way.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thank you, gentlemen, for your collective wisdom and experience. I almost bought a Baby Mojo today, but I had already rigged up a jerk line, so will go that way. $80 some I can use for something else. I did buy a Mojo Rippler to add a touch more movement apart from the 4 dekes I will have on the jerk line. I think I'm going to make a few duck butts too.

Has anybody here tried this yet? https://motionducks.com/ Sure looks good to me....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I just picked up a baby Mojo. Looking forward to trying it Saturday!