Thread: SOLDOTNA ALASKA ALERT: Aircraft Thieves

Default SOLDOTNA ALASKA ALERT: Aircraft Thieves

Just had a guy pull into my driveway, get out of his no license silver SUV (he was the passenger) with a pair of binoculars trying to see my 185. I confronted him and he said he was an aviation enthusiast looking for airplanes he could see from the road. Wanted to know if I'd give him my N number. Told him no, sent him on his way and called the Troopers. Spread the word that there are people in the local area scouting airplanes to steal.
    Phil Whittemore
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

https://share.delorme.com/PhilWhittemore

I've never heard of such a thing. You would think if someone was intelligent enough to get a pilots license that they would not be stealing planes...

Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    I've never heard of such a thing. You would think if someone was intelligent enough to get a pilots license that they would not be stealing planes...
    What makes you think he's got a pilots license? Were talking about a possible thief here....right?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

You would think if someone was intelligent enough to get a pilots license that they would not be stealing planes...
    I won't propose to speak for "you", but I wouldn't think that for a second. Thieves come in every color of the rainbow, including people who hold pilot licenses.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I won't propose to speak for "you", but I wouldn't think that for a second. Thieves come in every color of the rainbow, including people who hold pilot licenses.
    What....are you saying people that have drivers licenses have been known to steal cars too...???!!!.lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What makes you think he's got a pilots license? Were talking about a possible thief here....right?
    I dont know anything about being a pilot or planes and didnt know there is a black market for them. I can understand taking parts but not the entire plane

How does he steal it if he doesn't fly it away? Even the small ones would stick out as odd if you hooked it to the hitch of your truck and pulled it down the road.

I guess I held them to a higher standard

I guess I held them to a higher standard
    Every time I've done that, with any group of people, I've been disappointed. People are not so great.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    Wanted to know if I'd give him my N number.
    Maybe he's a not very talented repo guy looking for a specific plane...

How does he steal it if he doesn't fly it away?
    There are quite a few people in AK. that know how to fly planes but don't have a pilots license.....for one reason or another.

a
    Maybe he's a not very talented repo guy looking for a specific plane...
    That sounds like a pretty logical explanation....

I know more than a handful of pilots that I wouldn't consider intelligent. Being a pilot is like anything else, with enough practice you might get good at it no matter your level of intelligence.
    "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

If he was a repo man he won't live a long life. And no plate on the SUV? Doesn't sound like a law abiding person to me.

Trooper I spoke with confirmed, based on my description of events, that he was scouting (or shopping).

Could be he his looking for a specially equipped plane similar to what high-end car thieves do. N-number will get him all the info he needs (including STC's) from the FAA.

Easy to steal a plane? As easy as it is to steal a Chevy Suburban (six seconds-years ago I was working on a District Attorney's SAAB Sonnet and while I was talking to him at his driveway a person stole his Suburban that was parked on the street in front of his house-he is the one who told me six seconds).

As far as not being a pilot and flying an airplane? Apparently all you need to do is play some video games for a while and you are good to go. Or how about the Barefoot Bandit, remember him.
    Phil Whittemore

Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    Could be he his looking for a specially equipped plane similar to what high-end car thieves do. N-number will get him all the info he needs (including STC's) from the FAA.
    Could be, but not a very bright way to go about it. Two minutes on the internet could tell him everything he wants to know about a given 185 at a given address, without ever pulling in the driveway. Is it still green/white? Pretty plane.

A guy in Atlanta walked into the FBO on Fulton County airport complaining that the Maule he ordered fuel for remained unfueled. The FBO produced a fuel ticket for an aircraft with his N number. A ramp search revealed two Maules with identical N numbers. The first aircraft fueled had been stolen. The thieves simply duplicated the second aircrafts N number and data. A serious thief might even submit a change of registration document further complicating the crime.

...Is it still green/white? Pretty plane.
    It is. And I agree she sure is pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Phil Whittemore