Thread: BasicMed

Default BasicMed

Has anyone done the BasicMed for their physical. I'm trying now and having a hard time finding a doctor in the Anch/Eagle River area. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Perkak View Post
    Has anyone done the BasicMed for their physical. I'm trying now and having a hard time finding a doctor in the Anch/Eagle River area. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken
    I did mine last year in Alabama, I printed out all the details and took the info to a Dr that does DOT physicals. Had to leave the info with the Dr and the next day his office called and made the appointment. Make sure you do the online quiz first and have everything with you. I tried a few flight Docs and they were not feeling it. Good luck!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

A local buddy of mine tried it around here with a Flight Doc and the confusion sorta stale-mated the whole thing.
    I need to do another 2nd class pretty soon and my old Doc up in Kenai retired. So I am hunting for a new flight doc.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

No luck in Fairbanks as healthy, no meds and no regular doctor. No one will do it.

Has anyone tried calling the FAA Medical at OKC. Maybe they keep a list of docs doing them. Or perhaps one of them might be willing to educate the local DOT Docs on the actual procedure. My bet is that local docs dont have the time, and likely dont want to be involved with another government deal that may string them up.

I went to all of the flight surgeons, DOT physical offices and called several Drs. Most DOT and such physicals are now done by PA not DR. Thats one problem, has to be DR. It appears most DRs that did class 2and 3s didn't like or support BASIC MED and won't participate. Only Dr that would do it wanted me to become regular patient, come in for regular annual physical and then come for Basic med. A couple said they would do it but weren't taking new patients, had to get on a waiting list. It really was set up for you to go to your "regular DR" who supposedly knows your health and get him to do it. Don't have regular DR and in great health you are screwed it wold appear at least in Fairbanks.

What a crock of BS. Sorry to hear this.

Ended up going to Medical Park Family in Anchorage. Had to see a new doc who would only do a 3rd class this year then a BasicMed after that. The catch was a 3rd class was $125 and the BasicMed was $200. Hard to say what I'll do in 2 years.

Went to my Dr. in Seward, was super easy.

Agree, It is easier if you have a regular Dr. that you can educate about basic med.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorRN View Post
    Agree, It is easier if you have a regular Dr. that you can educate about basic med.
    FWIW, I got my BasicMed from my regular doctor at Med Park; also FWIW, he did my last 3rd class 4? 5? years ago. The BasicMed was a piece of cake. and yes $200, but in the bigger picture $75 more than a 3rd class with far less hassle is a good bargain to me.

Happy to identify the doc if needed via PM.
    Back in AK

Dr Robert Thomas. 2000 W International Airport Rd Bldg B4. 907.868.2961.
    Last edited by stid2677; 09-17-2018 at 22:00.

Quote Originally Posted by hilfikerkg View Post
    Dr Robert Thomas. 2000 W International Airport Rd Bldg B4. 907.868.2961.
    I would also highly recommend Dr. Thomas. Basic-1st.
    https://atpmedicine.business.site/