Thread: Winter TT storage

Default Winter TT storage

I bought a Jayco Hummingbird travel trailer this summer. Its around 20 ft long. I live in Fairbanks and am trying to figure out a way to store it in the winter that keeps the snow off of it. It has to be a temporary because where I am storing is on an easement. I was thinking of a tarp a-frame using PVC. Only issue is that it would have to be pretty tall to get a good pitch for snow to slide off of.

Anyone have suggestions or examples of what they have done?

Thanks you

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

I have seen folks build a fairly steep A frame with 2 x 4s and a tarp stretched tight over the top.

The base of the A frame sits on the roof of the TT or RV with about a foot of overhang.

I'm sure you know to drain the water system and fill with RV antifreeze.
    “Move that fat ass Henry!”
    “Don’t swing your balls or you’ll swamp the boat!"

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    I have seen folks build a fairly steep A frame with 2 x 4s and a tarp stretched tight over the top.

The base of the A frame sits on the roof of the TT or RV with about a foot of overhang.

I'm sure you know to drain the water system and fill with RV antifreeze.
    That might work. Lot less material than building a full A frame. Tracking on the anti-freeze. Already got a couple jugs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Have a 24 ft trailer in Sterling I just tarp it been there for 18 plus years. On heavy snow years I remove snow, put front of trailer highto allow drainage and I weight edges. I use Costco HD tarps.

Have a canoe around put it on the trailer roof and tarp over it tarp has enough pitch to allow snow to come off.

Easier idea than building a structure... park it as close as u can between two trees. Run a stout rope between the two trees about 5-6 ft above the trailer. Throw a well made tarp over the rope and tie it pup tent style over the rope and trailer. Easy peazey.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

From the snow capital. With my Artic Fox truck camper: I have 2 sawhorses, tall about 4-5'. I place them on top, MAKE sure to put carpeting or something under the feet so the wood does not rub on the camper top in the wind. I then put a 2x4 on top of them and attach it with 2 deck screws each. Then I tarp it over and tie it down. I though I had a pic but can't find it. The ends stay open a little so that the wind can shake the tarp. It helps clean the snow off. I have a white tarp, if I could find one in town, I think black would be better.
    Attachment 96677
    I used to do the boat like this. Back it up to a spruce, heavy 5/8" rope cable camped to the tree. Then a 12' spruce pole in front that the rope goes over. I have a loop in the end of the rope and I use a ratchet strap to tighten it up. Then I tarp and tie off. Here, I really need a sharp angle to get the heavy snow to fall off. Only once or twice a year I might have to go out and tap the tarp to get it to slide for the boat. Too many irregularities in the tarp with the radar arch and boat top. Camper stays clean, 98% of the time. It all depends on the type of snow, mashed potato or powder.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

For the antifreeze: we blow out the water lines with compressed air via the water hose connection. All water is blown out of the line so you don't have to fill it with antifreeze. The water heater is manually drained of water. There is a port so we can suck a little antifreeze right from the bottle into the pump to keep it safe. A little antifreeze into each of the empty holding tanks and it's good for the winter. Takes a lot less antifreeze and is easier to flush out in the spring.

Edit: we bought a cover (off Amazon) for the trailer thinking it will be more secure that tarps. Will sweep the snow off if needed, swept from the side while on a ladder. Don't want any point loads on the roof when it's very cold.