Thread: Most cost effective HP upgrade for an O-470 engine?

Question Most cost effective HP upgrade for an O-470 engine?

If an Continental 0-470 engine was in need of an overhaul sometime soon anyway . . . .

What are some cost effective power upgrades for increased performance on both land & sea?

What is the increase in horsepower? And what is the approximate cost?

The only one that I've heard about is the P.Ponk "Dash-Fifty", but, there could be others.

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    If an Continental 0-470 engine was in need of an overhaul sometime soon anyway . . . .

What are some cost effective power upgrades for increased performance on both land & sea?

What is the increase in horsepower? And what is the approximate cost?

The only one that I've heard about is the P.Ponk "Dash-Fifty", but, there could be others.

Thanx, Dave.
    Not sure what you are flying, but my friend installed Wing-Xs on his '56 C-180, and the performance increase made it a different plane.
    I know thats not what you asked, but you might get to where you want to be by a different route.
    Apologies if you have already gone this route.
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Thanx Yukon!

That does sound like another good way to enhance performance, but, I'd still have a motor that needs to be overhauled.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

There are two routes for increasing the power of a O 470. The P Ponk conversion, which I have, and the Texas Skyways version. You end up with an aspriated O 520 in both cases. You supposedly end up with 30 to 40 more horses. It does not feel like that much. It is NOT as zippy as an injected io-520.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Well, an IO-520 does produce a full 300 horsepower!

Or is there something about the fuel injection that makes it more “zippy”?

Injection=more HP

Remember to consider the effect of more HP on prop and prop choices, there can be cost involved here too.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Yes indeed, once you start down the rabbit hole, the bills add up. A LOT.
    The only cheap thing involved in aviation is the pilots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Injection=more HP
    Eh, not really. Injection just enables things that do produce more horsepower by giving even fuel delivery. Like higher compression pistons.

You realize that we just said the same thing.
    Me with few characters and you with a few more.

Only if you completely dismiss the why.

So, aproximately how much does a P.Ponk or Texas Skyways conversion cost, if I provide my own O-470 almost @ TBO?

I'm also reading a lot of references to Power Flow Exhaust systems, which may also boost overall performance . . .

Can both enhancements be combined on the same engine during overhaul?

Thanx, Dave.

The Power Flow exhaust system is basically tuned headers for your plane. I bolted one onto a 160 horse C-172N and obtained an increase of 130-140 rpm at max throttle. It was breathing so much better I had to rebuild the carb. so it could keep up. Supposedly there is less improvement with the 180 horse Lyc engines.

Custom Aircraft Inc.
    Richard Walker
    Voice: (907) 745-6030
    Fax: (907) 745-6032
    Email: customaircraft@mtaonline.net

Avian Aeronotics
    Pat Heseltine Phone: (360) 674-2244 Fax: (360) 674-2551 Email: avianinc@oz.net

8900 WA-3 #101, Bremerton, WA 98312, USAGet Directions
    (866) 263-2359
    Visit Website

Premier Aircraft Engines
    Jim DesJardins
    Phone: (503) 661-4184
    Fax: (503) 667-4052
    Email: jimd@premieraircraft.net

1000 NW Perimeter Way, Troutdale, OR 97060-9524, USAGet Directions

(503) 661-4184

You would need to call one of the authorized P-Ponk engine re-builders to find out what they cost THIS YEAR. http://pponk.com/engines/ Just the 3 bladed Hartzell prop on mine is about $13,000 for the prop and spinner.

Was looking on the P.Ponk website, as well as finding a few used aircraft with this conversion for sale on-line, and learned that P.Ponk also converts IO-520D/F engines into a O-470-50. Since the IO-520D produces 300 HP and has been used so successfully in C185's for decades . . . .

Why would anyone want to do that conversion ???

Good Question;
    Maybe a partial answer. maybe..
    A. Some folks like carbureted engines for floatplane use. Particularly with students.
    B. While the injected version does offer a full 300 horses. It only does that at take-off max RPM. For a limited time. The rest of the time it is a 280-285 horse engine.
    C. The version with a carburetor eliminates a few items, like the fuel pmp / boost pump and the header tanks.
    D. There well be an issue with what can be legally installed in aircraft like some models of the C-180 / C-182 series which were originally built around a carbed engine. Maybe they started out with the improved O-470-50 and then figured out how to slide the converted IO to O 520s through the same door. There is a reason that P-Ponk never really says how much horsepower they really turn-out...

My prop governor was mis-set on my O-470-50 because the mechanical tach was off. It turned out that after I bought the plane and used a Tru-Tach optical tach , that I was really turning 2840 rpm on take-off with a 3 blade Hartzell. So who knows how much HP I was producing on take-off. ...

The whole converted engine deal get to be a big maze. Historically I end up buying heavily modified aircraft. I am pretty much done with that. The next plane won't have a Sears catalog of STCs. If I want 185 performance I will just buy a C-185.

Alex, you hit it right on the head, there is no way around it..

I've been wondering the same thing. My 470R has 1400 or so SMOH, but it runs fine. Unfortunately the crankshaft isn't compatible with the Ponk 520 which adds $, and the new C203 I bought is worthless for that conversion also. After talking with Steve, I would have to work with the FSDO for approval to keep the Bendix FI. For me its either buy a 520 and a new prop, or spend even more to end up with the same thing from the other builders you listed.

There is a nice supercharger kit out for two 10k bills but doesn't help much down low.

Or along FP's line of thinking....sell the 182 and buy a 206 or a 185.

A friend of mine and I did some take-off and climb out comparisons yesterday between my O-520 powered PPonked late model 180j and his 185. The 185 still smokes my PPonked 180 in getting out of the water and climb out. I suspect the hp increase with the PPonked engine is not nearly as much as they claim. Maybe a good deal in the old 1950s light weight 180s, but not enough for the late models with the 185 body. At least not if you want it to act like a 185.

Maybe... However, dyno'd PPonks typically put out 265-270 before changing pistons and porting/flow matching.
    Switching to 8.5:1 pistons for 10-15 hp (instead of Steve's STC'd 7.5:1) and having LyCon work the cylinders for better flow characteristics for another 10 hp, + ensure your cylinders have venturi seats, will likely get you around 290HP. LyCon quotes 300-315 with all those mods, but I think that's a bit unrealistic.
    Pair it with the appropriate prop like an MT 3-blade and you will notice a big difference from stock 470 and not much difference from a 185. Yes, fuel injection gives faster response, but so does the lighter MT prop.
    I like carbs.
    A mechanic friend at Lake Hood was just this past summer espousing the virtues of fuel injection one morning, when the next plane to pull up had a clogged injector. Then a week later the mechanic was late arriving to work because a neighbor's fuel pump on his 185 had quit.
    Did I mention that I like carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    A friend of mine and I did some take-off and climb out comparisons yesterday between my O-520 powered PPonked late model 180j and his 185. The 185 still smokes my PPonked 180 in getting out of the water and climb out. I suspect the hp increase with the PPonked engine is not nearly as much as they claim. Maybe a good deal in the old 1950s light weight 180s, but not enough for the late models with the 185 body. At least not if you want it to act like a 185.