Thread: Recommendations: Alaska Hwy/Glenn Hwy

Smile Recommendations: Alaska Hwy/Glenn Hwy

Hi, all!

We are fairly new to fly fishing and will be traveling to Anchorage from Juneau in a couple weeks. Wondering where the hot spots might be along that route. I caught my first-ever flyrod fish in a little creek in the Interior last year, and would love to try for anything. We are bringing a float tube (have yet to try it out!)

Would there be any salmon opportunities along that route? Sucky year, I know. I was reading about the subsistence fishery (dipnetting) in the Copper River, but don't know much about that.

(Incidentally, we are leaving from Skagway and coming back through Haines.)

Thanks much!
    Erica

If you are willing to make a detour up the Parks Highway, then most of those streams (Willow, Montana, Sheep, etc.) are fishing well for silvers and should still be good in a couple weeks. Also, the trout fishing should be good as they are chasing the spawning salmon. Not too familiar with the Glenn or Alaska Highway streams but would guess the Gulkana would worth a try for rainbows and grayling.

If you want to try your float tube out, I’ve heard of good fishing in the lakes near Lake Louise road. A lot of those lakes are stocked with grayling etc.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Check the ADF&G website for stocked lakes along your route. Lots of info there. There are a LOT of lakes once you get close to Palmer.