Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soliciting input on submitting a bowhunting proposal for unit 14A and B

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    You better be ready to go to the unit14A/B AC meetings to get them too support it. They will see the proposals, have you been to AC meeting? Then you better be ready to go the BOG meeting and testify. I will tell you this I do not support your proposal, maybe you should write a proposal and get some of those cowtags allocated to a archery hunt. Why a bowtag fee? Where is this money going? So I say no to that.. Anyhow there will be major opposition to your potential proposal. go read this yrs proposals look for the ones that were submitted by AC or fish and game, to give you a good idea how to write a good proposal. You will see some and scratch your head. One proposal was written for unit 15 because the kids grandparents havent shot a moose in 6yrs. Do not write a proposal like that. Also if you want to make this fair, If you choose to archery hunt you cannot hunt during the rifle season. Reason why the rifles hunters will say the archery hunters can hunt for almost two months. So you better be ready for a trade off.. also don't say those rifle hunters can start archery hunting. ..
    I like your idea of a drawing tag. One question I have is how do I find these past proposals you are referring to? Also, how do I find out how to write a proposal? I suppose I can call fish and game and ask them too. When and where are these AC meetings and BOG meetings? Thanks for your input. Even though you are in opposition to the proposal, your ideas are helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I like your idea of a drawing tag. One question I have is how do I find these past proposals you are referring to? Also, how do I find out how to write a proposal? I suppose I can call fish and game and ask them too. When and where are these AC meetings and BOG meetings? Thanks for your input. Even though you are in opposition to the proposal, your ideas are helpful.
    im archery guy ibep certified etc. But there will be a lot opposition from rifle hunters. They already think archery hunters are shown favoritism over the haul road hunting corridor. Usually the Palmer fish and game will have flyers up for the unit 14A/B AC meetings. Now I would be in favor moving the archery season from August to late September to early October and making it a draw permit for any bull.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...posal_book.pdf

What about us Black powder guys ? No special season for us. That's weapon discrimination
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    What about us Black powder guys ? No special season for us. That's weapon discrimination
    I think some of those cow tags should be allocated for muzzleloader hunt. But unfortunately, people will say they can hunt with there smokepole during rifle season. Just like they say archery guys can hunt with a bow during rifle season.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Hey, you're right. Black powder lives matter!

Bushwack,

I can get behind your proposal,but I think shortening the rifle season even a week will be downfall. Before moving to AK in 2011, I mainly just bow hunted. Work usually kept me from being able to bow hunt here. Now that things have changed, I hope to do quite a bit of bow hunting in the near future. Living near the Palmer Hay Flats is a plus as well.

I wouldn’t propose shortening the rifle season. We are our own worst enemy unfortunately and it will get flak based on ignorance and resistance to change. I hope you can get a later season for archery during the rut. If I was furher for a day I’d have a road accessible last week sept first week October bow hunt for any bull. I joined the ABA and inquired quite a bit about expanding bow hunting opportunities but I didn’t get solid responses. I think the best bet would be to get ABA backing and sell it based on the limited success rate of archery and maybe Alaska constitutional requirement to manage for harvest of ungulates. I seen this in the lower 48 we fight ourselves until the antis and special interest subsistence groups vote us out of opportunity.

The most important parts of any proposal is to get local AC backing and showing up in numbers to testify to the BOG. Add in ABA backing and some sound logic then you'll be on the right track. Don't let failed attempts in the past dissuade you. Let me know if you need help.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    The most important parts of any proposal is to get local AC backing and showing up in numbers to testify to the BOG. Add in ABA backing and some sound logic then you'll be on the right track. Don't let failed attempts in the past dissuade you. Let me know if you need help.
    Thanks. After careful consideration to all of the comments mentioned above, I am thinking the solution is to try to create a drawing hunt in 14A and 14B for any bull for the month of September and October. As others mentioned, trying to make any changes to the rifle season is going to be met with resistance. What I need help with now is knowing how to start the proposal process. I am going to go to Fish and Game soon.

The best thing you can do is speak with the AC for your area. Oddly enough, F&G has nothing really to do with the BOG process. Work with your AC...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    The best thing you can do is speak with the AC for your area. Oddly enough, F&G has nothing really to do with the BOG process. Work with your AC...
    Roger that. Anybody got the contact information for the local AC in the Palmer/Wasilla area? I'll try to get the process started.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12