Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard to fuel my Wooldridge

Default Hard to fuel my Wooldridge

Unless I just trickle the fuel in to my Sportstour, it will splash back up out of the vent and then geyser out of the filler neck. I canít leave the boat even in a slight nose down position or it will siphon a gallon plus out of the vent and make a huge mess. Any ideas? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it a white one currently getting a hard top fabbed up?
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

My vents are up by the bow on my Weldcraft and must fuel bow raised or I get the same issue. Level or bow down fuel overwhelm the vents
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Is it a white one currently getting a hard top fabbed up?
    Bk
    Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jimw View Post
    My vents are up by the bow on my Weldcraft and must fuel bow raised or I get the same issue. Level or bow down fuel overwhelm the vents
    Well at least Iím not the only one! I need to lift my truck a little bit.

Verify your vent line isn't kinked or restricted. Of course, figure out which end of the tank the vent is attached to and park accordingly to keep that end raised while filling. As you near full and hear the gurgling, slow your fill rate too.

Sometimes it's inevitable. On my airboat I installed a fuel whistle on the vent line. It screams as it's nearing full then gets silent as fluid enters into it. Thus it's time to stop filling as she's full.

Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

I cheat I use my tongue jack on the boat trailer and I have a few gas station that I have scouted out that have a slope at there pumps. The Tesoro at the "Y" in talkeetna is one of them or the Shell on Debarr and Boniface has a nice slope. But I have always been a little uneasy with the Shell station since there is a BBQ stand next to the pumps. I always have a thought of blowing up with there.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Quote Originally Posted by akaviator View Post
    Unless I just trickle the fuel in to my Sportstour, it will splash back up out of the vent and then geyser out of the filler neck. I canít leave the boat even in a slight nose down position or it will siphon a gallon plus out of the vent and make a huge mess. Any ideas? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    https://www.fisheriessupply.com/attw...urge-protector
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

If all these cookie-cutter skiff OEM's would spend the effort to put in 2" fills none of this would happen. Yes, it would mean more cost but the narrow fills that they ALL use is baseless. I'll bet that 90% of boaters have your same problem with these skiffs. And then, there is the ugly factor, which is death to them. A piece of USCG approved rubber flex is seriously large in diameter and will only accept a certain bend radius.

Ive had to replace a couple of thru hull vent as they have built up with corrosion and plugged themselves off. That, and like BK said make sure something didnt kink a vent line and pinch it shut.

The main problem is how the tank is constructed. The filler pipe needs to penetrate the tank and go down within an inch or two of the tank bottom. That way the filler pipe gets sealed off after a couple inches of fuel is in the tank and all fumes are forced out the vent and nothing can come out the filler pipe hole. But knowing this dosent help you with your problem. Your fill tube likely ends at the penetration.

Akaviator, please call me at the shop 206-722-8998 or leave a message with your phone number and the best time to call you. Thanks Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Wooldridge View Post
    Akaviator, please call me at the shop 206-722-8998 or leave a message with your phone number and the best time to call you. Thanks Glen
    I was hoping I would see a post like this...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    You won't see it from any other manufacturer..
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
    2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Wooldridge View Post
    Wow, just saw this! I will be calling.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Quality product gets quality service every time.

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I had a 20ft Sport with OBJ. The boat sat pretty close to level on the trailer when connected to the tow vehicle. I had to fill the tank very slowly or it would back up and overflow at the inlet where the nozzle was. I always had someone stand at the transom during filling and tell me if fuel was coming out the vent. The boat had a flow scan so I new exactly how much fuel I needed to fill the tank and would be very careful as I approached that amount. The fuel tank vent was at the back on the middle of the transom below the splash well and below the elevation of the inlet.

Fuel would spill out the vent when backing down a boat ramp, even if the tank was not full (like when your return from a trip). I believe some fuel would spill out the vent when running in choppy seas also. I put a manual shut off valve on the vent line and I would close it when launching and retrieving the boat. Obviously you had to remember to open it after launching! Although I think the inlet was a vented fitting also.

The tank was about 6" high, 18" wide and about 12 feet long. Such a long skinny tank is a tricky thing to vent and fill and also tricky to deal with when tilted even relatively small amounts.

It seems to me that fuel tank vents should be higher than the inlet. Or if the inlet is a vented fitting, then both the vent and the inlet should at the same elevation. For long skinny tanks on boats maybe they should both be at the bow to deal with the problem when the tank is tilted as often is the case on a boat. Here is an excerpt from Tanks Inc. website:

"If you are running a vent line it is important that the line is ran higher than the highest point on the tank including the fuel filler neck. Also, the vent line cannot have a dip in it where fuel or condensation can get trapped in the line. If fuel becomes trapped in the line your tank will then build pressure or vacuum until there is enough pressure to purge the vent which will cause gas and/or odor to come from the vent line. If enough pressure builds up damage could be caused to your tank".

Do the math. A 1-1/2" fill (USCG min.) has a sectional area of 1.77". A 2" fill has an area of 3.44", the former being nearly half of the latter. Will they do it? NEVER. You see, they are all stuck on the USCG minimum. It's kind of funny when you think about regulations that are designed around some number but actually defeat other poor design factors like creating spillage. How many thousands of gallons of gasoline annually are burped overboard, on to the deck or washed out a scupper? I'm just guessing, but I'll bet it obviates what all the charcoal canisters absorb.

I'm just curious as to what Glen's solution was to the fueling problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Predator Control View Post
    I'm just curious as to what Glen's solution was to the fueling problem.
    I would also like to know
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast